Bears Close Weekend with 4-2 Win on Hockey Fights Cancer Night
(Hershey, PA) - The Hershey Bears concluded the weekend with a 4-2 victory over the Charlotte Checkers on Sunday night at GIANT Center. Joe Snively and Mike Sgarbossa each recorded three-point nights, and the Chocolate and White improved their record to 7-5-2-1.
Hershey battled back in the second period after falling behind 1-0 in the opening frame. Cale Fleury tallied for the Checkers only 8:36 into the contest for the first period's lone marker. Shots on goal after 20 minutes were 9-4 Charlotte. Matt Moulson evened the score for the Bears at 11:23 of the second period with a power play strike. Cody Franson sent the puck near the net from the point, and Moulson's net from redirect eluded Charlotte goaltender Christopher Gibson.
The Checkers restored a 2-1 lead only 64 seconds later courtesy of Gustav Olofsson's first goal of the season at 12:27. Olofsson buried the rebound of a Zac Dalpe shot after Pheonix Copley made the initial save. Hershey responded once more before the period ended thanks to strong net front presence. Michal Kempny hit the goal post on a scoring chance, but Mike Sgarbossa converted on the rebound from the blue paint at 16:09 to tie the game at 2-2. Shots after 40 minutes were 18-14 Checkers.
The Bears pulled ahead in the third period with a power play goal from Joe Snively and eventual game-winner at 2:39. Off the rush, Snively snapped a perfect shot to the top shelf past Gibson for Hershey's second man-advantage marker of the night. Sgarbossa added an empty net goal at 18:22 to round out the 4-2 final. Shots on goal totaled 26-19 Charlotte. Hershey's special teams finished 2-for-5 on the power play and 4-for-5 on the penalty kill.
The Hershey Bears return to action on Wednesday, Nov. 24 against the Providence Bruins at 7 PM. It's Sara Lee & Canteen Vending Turkey Shoot Night at GIANT Center. All fans are welcome postgame to take part in the Sara Lee & Canteen Vending Turkey Shoot. Ticket information is available online at HersheyBears.com.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 21, 2021
- Wolf, Stockton Stonewall Reign - Ontario Reign
- Heat Extend Point Streak to Team-Record 12 Games with Sunday Win - Stockton Heat
- Bears Close Weekend with 4-2 Win on Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Wrap Road Trip with 4-2 Loss to Bears - Charlotte Checkers
- Wild Drop Sunday Matinee to Tucson, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Moose Downed by Milwaukee - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Come Back for 6-5 Overtime Victory over Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Stop Moose, Snap Losing Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Roadrunners Lead from Tape-to-Tape, Secure 2-1 Win over Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Thunderbirds Overtake Islanders in the Third - Bridgeport Islanders
- Torrid T-Birds Triumph Again in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Capitals Recall Brett Leason from Hershey, Re-Assign Garrett Pilon - Hershey Bears
- Dallas Stars Recall Forward Tanner Kero from Texas, Reassign Forward Riley Tufte to Texas - Texas Stars
- Anaheim Recalls Groulx and Lettieri - San Diego Gulls
- 5 Things: Heat at Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Look to Complete Back-To-Back with Win vs. Cleveland - Toronto Marlies
- Top Two Teams in Pacific Face off Sunday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Recalls Zmolek from Heartlanders - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Recalls Addison from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Checkers at Bears, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game #12: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Henderson Falls to Eagles, 2-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Griffins Third-Period Comeback Falls Short at Stars - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Annunen Propels Eagles to 2-1 Win over Silver Knights - Colorado Eagles
- McLaughlin's Big Night and Delia's Big Saves Give Hogs a 3-2 Shootout Win over Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Top Griffins in Overtime Thriller - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.