Top Two Teams in Pacific Face off Sunday in Ontario
Sunday, November 21, 2021
TODAY'S MATCHUP: Stockton Heat (9-0-2-0; 1st Pacific) at Ontario Reign (10-1-0-1; 2nd Pacific)
LOCATION: Toyota Arena | Ontario, California
TIME: 3:00 p.m. PST
TUNE IN: Tonight's game can be streamed on AHLTV, and the radio call is available via Spreaker.
It's been more than a week since the Heat hit the ice and saw their team-record, nine-game win streak come to a close with an overtime setback against the Henderson Silver Knights, but Stockton's 11th-straight game with a point has the Heat on the precipice of history yet again. The Sunday matinee against Ontario is the first of eight scheduled meetings this season between the clubs, who enter the contest at the top of the Pacific Division.
TILT AT THE TOP
With wins against every team in the Pacific Division except one, the Stockton Heat look to add another team to their wall as they face off against the Ontario Reign for the first time this season. Stockton and Ontario come into the game as the top two teams in the Pacific, the Heat leading in point percentage and the Reign on top in points with one more game played on the year.
NEVER HAVE WE EVER
Stockton comes into Sunday's game with a chance to set a new team record for longest point streak, currently tied with the 11-game run to close out the 2016-17 regular season. In the previous 11-game streak, the Heat went 7-0-3-1 from March 24 through April 15, 2017, two points back of the club's current pace.
LEADING THE PACK
Sunday's showdown features two players tied for the AHL's lead in goals on the year as Stockton's Adam Ruzicka and Ontario's Martin Frk each have lit the lamp nine times this season. Ruzicka has eight goals in the last seven contests, a marker in back-to-back contests, while Frk has six in the last six but has been held without a goal in two of the last three.
SOMETHING'S GOTTA GIVE
The matchup of Stockton and Ontario brings a showdown between the AHL's leading offensive unit in the Reign (4.33 goals per game) and the league's second-most-stingy defensive club in the Heat (2.18 goals against per game). On the flip side, Stockton ranks fifth on offense (3.55 goals per game) while Ontario is 10th in team defense (2.83 goals against per game).
RIGHT AT HOME ON THE ROAD
As the Heat hit the road for the fifth and sixth road contests of the young campaign, Stockton looks to continue its strong play away from Stockton Arena with a record of 4-0-0-0 and scoring differential of 19-9. Ontario has held serve at Toyota Arena thus far this season to the tune of a 5-0-0-1 mark.
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 21, 2021
- Wolf, Stockton Stonewall Reign - Ontario Reign
- Heat Extend Point Streak to Team-Record 12 Games with Sunday Win - Stockton Heat
- Bears Close Weekend with 4-2 Win on Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Wrap Road Trip with 4-2 Loss to Bears - Charlotte Checkers
- Wild Drop Sunday Matinee to Tucson, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Moose Downed by Milwaukee - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Come Back for 6-5 Overtime Victory over Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Stop Moose, Snap Losing Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Roadrunners Lead from Tape-to-Tape, Secure 2-1 Win over Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Thunderbirds Overtake Islanders in the Third - Bridgeport Islanders
- Torrid T-Birds Triumph Again in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Capitals Recall Brett Leason from Hershey, Re-Assign Garrett Pilon - Hershey Bears
- Dallas Stars Recall Forward Tanner Kero from Texas, Reassign Forward Riley Tufte to Texas - Texas Stars
- Anaheim Recalls Groulx and Lettieri - San Diego Gulls
- 5 Things: Heat at Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Look to Complete Back-To-Back with Win vs. Cleveland - Toronto Marlies
- Top Two Teams in Pacific Face off Sunday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Recalls Zmolek from Heartlanders - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Recalls Addison from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Checkers at Bears, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game #12: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Henderson Falls to Eagles, 2-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Griffins Third-Period Comeback Falls Short at Stars - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Annunen Propels Eagles to 2-1 Win over Silver Knights - Colorado Eagles
- McLaughlin's Big Night and Delia's Big Saves Give Hogs a 3-2 Shootout Win over Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Top Griffins in Overtime Thriller - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.