Monsters Come Back for 6-5 Overtime Victory over Marlies
TORONTO - The Cleveland Monsters beat the Toronto Marlies 6-5 in overtime on Sunday evening at Coca-Cola Coliseum. With the win, the Monsters are now 8-3-1-3 and are currently in second place in the AHL's North Division standings.
Jake Christiansen scored an unassisted tally at 4:12 of the opening period to grab an early lead for Cleveland, but Toronto's Brett Seney notched a power-play goal at 9:22 and a marker from Curtis Douglas at 17:07 sending the Monsters to the first intermission trailing 2-1. The Marlies added two more goals in the middle frame starting with Jack Kopacka on the man advantage at 11:35 followed by Pavel Gogolev at 18:27. Cleveland had the final say of the second period after Liam Foudy notched a tally at 19:06 with an assist from Kevin Stenlund cutting Toronto's lead to 4-2 after 40 minutes. Brendan Gaunce scored a quick goal 23 seconds into the final frame with helpers from Trey Fix-Wolansky and Tyler Angle to bring the game within one goal for the Monsters. Carson Meyer tied the game at with a tally at 5:56 off helpers from Adam Helewka and Christiansen, but Toronto's Alex Steeves responded with a marker at 8:47. Fix-Wolansky brought the game to a 5-5 tie after a goal at 18:21 with assists from Gaunce and Stenlund forcing overtime. Tyler Sikura recorded the game-winning goal while on the power play at 2:12 of the extra frame off feeds from Christiansen and Gaunce bringing the final score to 6-5.
Cleveland's Daniil Tarasov made 23 saves for the victory while Toronto's Michael Hutchinson made 41 saves in defeat.
The Monsters return home to host the Toronto Marlies on Friday, November 26, for a 7:00 p.m. puck drop at Rocket Mortgage FieldHouse. Follow the games with full coverage on FOX Sports 1350 AM 'The Gambler', AHLTV and the Monsters Hockey Network.
Stay up to date on all Monsters news with the Monsters Mobile App presented by University Hospitals available to download at the Apple Store or Google Play Store. Be sure to follow the Monsters on Twitter @monstershockey, on Facebook at www.facebook.com/monstershockey, and on Instagram @monstershockey.
1st 2nd 3rd OT SO Final
CLE 1 1 3 1 - 6
TOR 2 2 1 0 - 5
Shots PP PK PIM
CLE 47 1/4 1/3 6 min / 3 inf
TOR 28 2/3 3/4 8 min / 4 inf
Goaltender Outcome Saves GA Record
CLE Tarasov W 23 5 4-2-2
TOR Hutchinson OT 41 6 2-1-2
Cleveland Record: 8-3-1-3, 2nd North Division
Toronto Record: 8-4-1-1, 3rd North Division
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from November 21, 2021
- Wolf, Stockton Stonewall Reign - Ontario Reign
- Heat Extend Point Streak to Team-Record 12 Games with Sunday Win - Stockton Heat
- Bears Close Weekend with 4-2 Win on Hockey Fights Cancer Night - Hershey Bears
- Checkers Wrap Road Trip with 4-2 Loss to Bears - Charlotte Checkers
- Wild Drop Sunday Matinee to Tucson, 2-1 - Iowa Wild
- Moose Downed by Milwaukee - Manitoba Moose
- Monsters Come Back for 6-5 Overtime Victory over Marlies - Cleveland Monsters
- Admirals Stop Moose, Snap Losing Skid - Milwaukee Admirals
- Roadrunners Lead from Tape-to-Tape, Secure 2-1 Win over Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Thunderbirds Overtake Islanders in the Third - Bridgeport Islanders
- Torrid T-Birds Triumph Again in Bridgeport - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Capitals Recall Brett Leason from Hershey, Re-Assign Garrett Pilon - Hershey Bears
- Dallas Stars Recall Forward Tanner Kero from Texas, Reassign Forward Riley Tufte to Texas - Texas Stars
- Anaheim Recalls Groulx and Lettieri - San Diego Gulls
- 5 Things: Heat at Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Marlies Look to Complete Back-To-Back with Win vs. Cleveland - Toronto Marlies
- Top Two Teams in Pacific Face off Sunday in Ontario - Stockton Heat
- Iowa Recalls Zmolek from Heartlanders - Iowa Wild
- Minnesota Recalls Addison from Iowa - Iowa Wild
- Game Preview: Checkers at Bears, 5 PM - Hershey Bears
- Game #12: Tucson at Iowa - Tucson Roadrunners
- Henderson Falls to Eagles, 2-1 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Griffins Third-Period Comeback Falls Short at Stars - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Annunen Propels Eagles to 2-1 Win over Silver Knights - Colorado Eagles
- McLaughlin's Big Night and Delia's Big Saves Give Hogs a 3-2 Shootout Win over Wolves - Rockford IceHogs
- Stars Top Griffins in Overtime Thriller - Texas Stars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Cleveland Monsters Stories
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2022 Summer Street Hockey Series
- Ben Adams Named Cleveland Monsters 2021-22 IOA/American Specialty AHL Person of the Year
- Cleveland Monsters Announce 2022 Summer Tour Appearances Across Northeast Ohio
- Monsters Fall in Hard Fought 5-2 Loss to Griffins
- Monsters Head Coach Mike Eaves to Step Away from Bench Following 2021-22 Season