Whitecaps Walk-Off Winner Wastes Wisconsin
COMSTOCK PARK, MI - Kody Clemens worked a bases-loaded walk in the bottom of the tenth inning as the West Michigan Whitecaps stunned the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers 3-2 in front of a boisterous crowd of 6,901 Wednesday night at Fifth Third Ballpark.
The opening night of a six-game homestand found the Whitecaps push across runs in both the second and third inning. Joey Morgan launched a solo home run, and Rey Rivera provided an RBI-single to give the "Caps a 2-0 lead.
Listen: Joey Morgan's Solo Home Run
Elvin Rodriguez gave the Whitecaps a fantastic start by no-hitting the Timber Rattlers through the first five innings before a Gilbert Lara solo home run paved the way for a game-tying two runs for Wisconsin in the sixth. Cam Warner, who paced West Michigan with two hits on the night, also contributed defensively with a spectacular fielding play in the inning to halt a potential big Timber Rattlers inning.
Johan Belisario and Clate Schmidt proved perfect in relief for West Michigan as they combined for four scoreless innings of work. As the game moved to the tenth inning, a huge double play paved the way for the 'Caps heroics in the bottom of the frame. West Michigan loaded the bases with none out, but strikeouts by Rey Rivera and Jordan Pearce set the stage for Clemens, who took a full-count pitch that narrowly missed inside for a walk-off win, which set off an incensed Timber Rattlers team who thought the ball should have been called a strike. The victory snapped a three-game losing skid for the Whitecaps. Schmidt (6-1) picked up the win as West Michigan tallied nine hits on the night. Rodriguez gave up only two runs in six innings, walked three and struck out eight. Michael Petersen (1-1) absorbed the loss for Wisconsin. With the win, West Michigan improves their second-half record to 10-10 and 46-44 overall in 2018. Wisconsin drops to 38-50 and 7-12 in second half play.
The Whitecaps continue their three-game series with the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Thursday at 7:05 pm. Pitcher Jesus Rodriguez gets the start for the Whitecaps. Broadcast coverage with Dan Hasty and Mike Coleman begins on the Whitecaps Baseball Network at 6:55 pm. Tickets are available for any Whitecaps 2018 home contest by calling the Whitecaps front office at 616-784-4131 or by visiting www.whitecapsbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 12, 2018
- 'Caps Deliver Another Walk-Off Winner - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 'Caps Wilt to Red-Hot Kernels - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Rally to Get Even, Fall Late - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Earn Season-High Fifth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Young Swats First Slam as Lugnuts Upend Bees, 11-8 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings walloped in eighth straight loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Ober Continues Win Streak in 6-2 Triumph - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoerner Shines But Cubs Lose 8-1 to Beloit - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Drop Series to Captains After 6-1 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- Blowout Win Earns First Series Victory of Second Half - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers Notch Eighth Straight in Laugher - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Take Down Cougars 5-4 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Quad Cities Breaks Late Tie, Tops Dragons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits Capitalize on Dayton Miscues in 4-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Suffers Another Walkoff Loss to Whitecaps - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 12 at Cedar Rapids (Game 90) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons on TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Open Western Road Trip with Fourth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Walk-Off Winner Wastes Wisconsin - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Shaffer's Dominance Travels East - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent West Michigan Whitecaps Stories
- Christmas Lite Show Returns with New Experiences
- 2019 Whitecaps Season Tickets Now on Sale
- Whitecaps Announce 2019 Season Schedule
- Traverse City Baseball Purchases Wuerfel Park, New Team, New League Announced for the 2019 Season
- 'Caps Season Ends in 3-1 Loss