Dragons Notes for Thursday
Thursday, July 12, 2018 l Game # 21 (89)
Fifth Third Field l Dayton, Ohio l 7:00 p.m.
Radio: Fox Sports 980 WONE
Quad Cities River Bandits (10-9, 50-39) at Dayton Dragons (9-11, 40-48)
RH Peter Solomon (6-1, 2.38) vs. RH Austin Orewiler (3-2, 3.86)
Today's Game: The Dayton Dragons (affiliate of the Cincinnati Reds) meet the Quad Cities River Bandits (affiliate of the Houston Astros) in the second game of a three-game series. Season Series to Date: Quad Cities 1, Dayton 0.
Recent Performances: The Dragons are 9-7 since opening the second half by losing their first four games, but they have lost four of their last six games. Quad Cities is 8-3 since opening the second half with a 2-6 record. They have allowed two runs or less in their last seven wins and eight of their last 10 games overall.
2018 Team Notes
The Dragons have won or split their last five sets, going 9-7 over that period.
The Dragons have allowed three runs or less in 12 of their 20 second half games. Their second half ERA is 3.76 (5.31 in the first half). Outside of two high-scoring games vs. South Bend, the Dragons team ERA in the second half would be 3.00 in the other 18 games (159 IP, 53 ER). The Midwest League average team ERA in 2018 is 3.91.
The Dragons 3.10 ERA in the month of July ranks sixth among the 16 MWL teams. Quad Cities ranks first at 1.78.
The Dragons have committed just 16 errors in their last 31 games. They have committed just 13 errors in the second half (20 games). For the year, seven of the 16 Midwest League teams have averaged less than one error per game (the Dragons are one of the seven).
2018 Individual Notes
Packy Naughton over his last three starts: 21 IP, 11 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 17 SO, 0.00 ERA. Naughton has a current streak of 22 scoreless innings, the longest of the year by a Dayton pitcher.
Hunter Greene over his last nine starts: 46.1 IP, 35 H, 15 R, 14 ER, 10 BB, 54 SO, 2.72 ERA. Greene has made 16 starts. His ERA in his first seven starts was 10.06. Greene was selected as the Cincinnati Reds Minor League Co-Pitcher of the Month for June.
Jose Garcia is batting .322 over his last 14 games. The streak has lifted Garcia's average from .196 to .222.
Jeter Downs is batting .294 with two home runs and a .410 on-base percentage in the second half.
J.D. Williams is batting .308 in his last eight games. He had a six-game hitting streak snapped on Sunday.
Lorenzo Cedrola, acquired last week in a trade with Boston, has hit safely in four straight games, going 8 for 17 (.471).
John Ghyzel leads the MWL in saves with 16. Ghyzel was the winning pitcher in the MWL All-Star Game on June 19.
Upcoming Probable Pitchers (Game times are Dayton time) (All games on WONE 980 AM and www.daytondragons.com)
Friday, July 13 (7:07 p.m.): Quad Cities RH Cesar Rosado (4-2, 3.99) at Dayton RH Wendolyn Bautista (3-4, 3.96) TV: Dayton's CW (26)
Saturday, July 14 (7:07 p.m.): Kane County TBA at Dayton RH Patrick McGuff (no record) TV: Dayton's CW (26)
Sunday, July 15 (2:07 p.m.): Kane County TBA at Dayton LH Packy Naugton (4-8, 4.10) TV: Dayton's CW (26)
Monday, July 16 (7:00 p.m.): Kane County TBA at Dayton RH Adrian Rodriguez (4-4, 6.83)
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 12, 2018
- 'Caps Deliver Another Walk-Off Winner - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 'Caps Wilt to Red-Hot Kernels - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Rally to Get Even, Fall Late - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Earn Season-High Fifth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Young Swats First Slam as Lugnuts Upend Bees, 11-8 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings walloped in eighth straight loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Ober Continues Win Streak in 6-2 Triumph - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoerner Shines But Cubs Lose 8-1 to Beloit - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Drop Series to Captains After 6-1 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- Blowout Win Earns First Series Victory of Second Half - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers Notch Eighth Straight in Laugher - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Take Down Cougars 5-4 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Quad Cities Breaks Late Tie, Tops Dragons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits Capitalize on Dayton Miscues in 4-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Suffers Another Walkoff Loss to Whitecaps - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 12 at Cedar Rapids (Game 90) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons on TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Open Western Road Trip with Fourth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Walk-Off Winner Wastes Wisconsin - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Shaffer's Dominance Travels East - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.