Snappers Notch Eighth Straight in Laugher
SOUTH BEND, IN - Hunter Hargrove and Logan Farrar each had three hits, and Jean Ruiz notched his third victory as the Beloit Snappers (45-43) defeated the South Bend Cubs (45-45) by the score of 8-1 Thursday night at Four Winds Field in South Bend, Indiana.
Hargrove started the scoring for the Snappers in the top of the second inning, as the first baseman drilled a no-doubt homer to lead of the frame and give Beloit a 1-0 edge. For the Texas Tech product, it was his seventh homer of the year, and his team-leading 42nd RBI.
With one out away in the fourth, Logan Farrar tripled to right-center field to put a runner in scoring position for Jesus Lopez. For Farrar it was his team-leading fifth triple of the year. Lopez then stepped to the plate, grounding out to new South Bend short stop and Chicago Cubs 2018 first round pick Nico Hoerner. Hoerner fielded the grounder and threw out Lopez, however, Farrar scored to give the Snappers a 2-0 edge.
Beloit doubled their lead in the fifth, as Austin Beck plated Skyler Weber with a sacrifice fly, before Hunter Hargrove added his 43rd RBI of the year as he scored Nick Allen with a base hit to give the Snappers a 4-0 lead after five.
After reaching on a fielding error by Cubs third baseman Delvin Zinn, Jesus Lopez advanced to third on yet another error by Zinn, before scoring on the third error of the frame by Zinn to up the Snappers lead to 5-0. With Mickey McDonald batting, McDonald hit a sharp grounder to Zinn who fielded it and appeared to have Lopez in a run down between third and home. Zinn over threw South Bend catcher Miguel Amaya and Lopez scored on the play.
Snappers starter Jean Ruiz was spot on for the entire night, picking up his third win of the year, surrendering just one run on six hits while walking and striking out a batter. The lone run Ruiz surrendered came in the bottom of the sixth, as he surrendered a solo home run to right field by Cubs designated hitter Michael Cruz.
Heading to the ninth inning, the Snappers had just seven hits, and their six game streak of 10 or more hits was in jeopardy. Lazaro Armenteros singled to lead off the ninth, giving him his fourth-consecutive multi-hit game. Austin Beck followed with a double to put runners and second and third, and the Snappers set at nine hits. After Hargrove grounded out, A two-run single by Logan Farrar extended the Snappers lead to 7-1, and also extended the Snappers streak of 10 or more hits to seven-consecutive games.
The offense however was not finished, as McDonald roped an RBI single into left field to give the Snappers an 8-1 lead.
Jesus Zambrano and Wandisson Charles combined to toss the final three innings in relief of Ruiz. Zambrano tossed two scoreless innings, surrendering just one walk while striking out four. For Zambrano he has not allowed a run of any kind in his last 8.2 innings pitched while surrendering just six hits and racking up 10 punch outs in the streak.
Charles tossed the final inning and struck out two of three batters, including the final batter in Zinn to preserve the Snappers win and their eighth-consecutive win.
The Snappers will go for the series sweep with the Cubs tomorrow at 6 p.m. CT. Ivan Andueza will get the start for the Snappers in the finale.
Single-game tickets start as low as $6.50 in advance, and fans are encouraged to purchase 15-game packs to save money for multiple-game use this season. All ticket packages of 15 games or more guarantee fans all of the 2018 promotional giveaways including our three bobblehead giveaways!
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics since 2013. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362-2272 or on our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 12, 2018
- 'Caps Deliver Another Walk-Off Winner - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 'Caps Wilt to Red-Hot Kernels - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Rally to Get Even, Fall Late - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Earn Season-High Fifth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Young Swats First Slam as Lugnuts Upend Bees, 11-8 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings walloped in eighth straight loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Ober Continues Win Streak in 6-2 Triumph - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoerner Shines But Cubs Lose 8-1 to Beloit - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Drop Series to Captains After 6-1 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- Blowout Win Earns First Series Victory of Second Half - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers Notch Eighth Straight in Laugher - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Take Down Cougars 5-4 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Quad Cities Breaks Late Tie, Tops Dragons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits Capitalize on Dayton Miscues in 4-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Suffers Another Walkoff Loss to Whitecaps - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 12 at Cedar Rapids (Game 90) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons on TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Open Western Road Trip with Fourth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Walk-Off Winner Wastes Wisconsin - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Shaffer's Dominance Travels East - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.