Shaffer's Dominance Travels East
Bowling Green, Kentucky - Brian Shaffer tossed six innings, allowing just one earned run in the Kane County Cougars' (45-44, 10-10) 9-2 win over the first-place Bowling Green Hot Rods (60-29, 13-7) on Wednesday night at Bowling Green Ballpark.
The Cougars offense gave Shaffer plenty of run support in the early innings. Luis Silverio led off the night with a double. He advanced to third when Jazz Chisholm struck out, but reached first on a passed ball. The next batter, Yoel Yanqui, bounced into a double play, scoring Silverio and making it 1-0 Cougars. In the second, Ryan Grotjohn doubled with one out. He scored on Eudy Ramos' RBI single. Ramos advanced to second on the throw home, to third on a wild pitch and crossed home on a passed ball, expanding the Cougar lead to 3-0.
Bowling Green got on the board in the bottom of the second on Trey Hair's solo home run.
Tim Susnara wiped out Hair's homer with a two-run shot for the Cougars in the top of the third. Jazz Chisholm extended his team-lead with his 13th homer of the season in the fifth to pad the Cougar lead to 6-1.
Moises Gomez grounded out to shortstop to drive home Carl Chester in the sixth inning, bringing Bowling Green back within four runs.
The Cougars put the game out of reach in the top of the ninth with three runs. Luis Lara's automatic double brought Yan Sanchez in to score. Jancarlos Cintron tallied two more for the Cougars with an RBI single.
Shaffer (5-5) spun his fifth consecutive quality start on the mound for the Cougars. He lasted six innings, allowed two runs (one earned) on six hits with seven strikeouts and no walks. Jake Winston tossed a scoreless seventh inning. Lane Ratliff chipped in two scoreless frames, allowing only one hit.
Hot Rods' starter Alex Valverde (5-5) lasted four innings, surrendering five runs (three earned) and suffering the loss. Jhonleider Salinas allowed Chisholm's homer, but settled in to toss three innings, allowing just that one run. Phoenix Sanders tossed two innings and yielded three runs.
The Cougars and Hot Rods play game two of the three-game set tomorrow night in Bowling Green. First pitch is scheduled for 6:35 p.m. Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 12, 2018
- 'Caps Deliver Another Walk-Off Winner - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 'Caps Wilt to Red-Hot Kernels - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Rally to Get Even, Fall Late - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Earn Season-High Fifth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Young Swats First Slam as Lugnuts Upend Bees, 11-8 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings walloped in eighth straight loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Ober Continues Win Streak in 6-2 Triumph - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoerner Shines But Cubs Lose 8-1 to Beloit - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Drop Series to Captains After 6-1 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- Blowout Win Earns First Series Victory of Second Half - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers Notch Eighth Straight in Laugher - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Take Down Cougars 5-4 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Quad Cities Breaks Late Tie, Tops Dragons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits Capitalize on Dayton Miscues in 4-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Suffers Another Walkoff Loss to Whitecaps - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 12 at Cedar Rapids (Game 90) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons on TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Open Western Road Trip with Fourth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Walk-Off Winner Wastes Wisconsin - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Shaffer's Dominance Travels East - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Unveil Promotional Lineup for 2019 Season
- Dine with Your Valentine at Cougars Home Field, February 9
- Kane County Cougars Baseball Foundation, Inc. Presents 2018 Community Report
- Cougars Await Beloit Final for Playoff Fate
- Cougars Walk Off, Can Clinch Monday