Captains Open Western Road Trip with Fourth Straight Win
(Peoria, IL) - Francisco Perez was dominant on the mound and the Lake County Captains (10-10, 39-51) got some big swings from Will Benson and Jose Vicente to coast to their fourth consecutive win on Wednesday night at Dozer Park. The Captains opened a six-game road trip in the Western Division with a 5-1 victory over the Peoria Chiefs (10-8, 49-39).
Perez dueled with Chiefs starter Alvaro Seijas early on and the game remained scoreless until the fourth. The Chiefs drew first blood when Yariel Gonzalez led off the bottom of the fourth with a solo home run to left field. The Chiefs' 1-0 lead vanished quickly.
In the top of the fifth, Benson answered the bell with a towering solo homer to right field. The right fielder's team-leading 13th home run of the season knotted the score at 1-1 and Benson came up with another clutch hit the following inning.
The Captains started a two-out rally in the top of the sixth. Nolan Jones roped a single to center and Jonathan Laureano followed with a hard grounder single up the middle to put men on first and second. Benson came up next and flared a ball to center that dunked in for a hit. Jones scored the go-ahead run and Laureano hustled to third. The Captains led 2-1, but that lead quickly ballooned. Vicente followed Benson with a bomb over the left field wall. The three-run homer pushed the Captains' lead to 5-1.
Perez was laser focused after Gonzalez's homer and rolled the rest of the way. Following the fourth-inning long ball, the Captains' left-hander set down the final 12 batters he faced. The Captains' bullpen continued the string, as righty Nick Sandlin struck out the side in a one-two-three eighth. A leadoff single in the ninth by Irving Lopez off of Maiker Manzanillo ended the streak at 15 straight batters retired by Captains pitching, but Manzanillo set down the next three men to seal the victory.
Perez (6-5) earned the win. In a career-high seven innings of work, Perez held Peoria to one run on three hits. He struck out a pair, did not issue a walk and hit one man.
Seijas (2-5) was solid over the first five innings, but ultimately took the loss after the Captains' four-run outburst in the sixth. Seijas pitched six innings and surrendered five runs on seven hits. He struck out two and walked two.
The Captains won their fourth straight game, picking up their first four-game winning streak since April 22-25. Lake County will go for its first five-game winning streak of the year on Thursday night. First pitch at Dozer Park is scheduled for 8:00 p.m. ET.
Information about Classic Park or the Captains can be found online at www.captainsbaseball.com and by phone at 440-954-WINS (9467). Affordable ticket packages and group party and picnic options are available now.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 12, 2018
- 'Caps Deliver Another Walk-Off Winner - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 'Caps Wilt to Red-Hot Kernels - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Rally to Get Even, Fall Late - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Earn Season-High Fifth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Young Swats First Slam as Lugnuts Upend Bees, 11-8 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings walloped in eighth straight loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Ober Continues Win Streak in 6-2 Triumph - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoerner Shines But Cubs Lose 8-1 to Beloit - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Drop Series to Captains After 6-1 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- Blowout Win Earns First Series Victory of Second Half - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers Notch Eighth Straight in Laugher - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Take Down Cougars 5-4 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Quad Cities Breaks Late Tie, Tops Dragons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits Capitalize on Dayton Miscues in 4-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Suffers Another Walkoff Loss to Whitecaps - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 12 at Cedar Rapids (Game 90) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons on TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Open Western Road Trip with Fourth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Walk-Off Winner Wastes Wisconsin - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Shaffer's Dominance Travels East - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.