Hoerner Shines But Cubs Lose 8-1 to Beloit
South Bend, IN: 2018 Chicago Cubs First Round Draft Pick Nico Hoerner put on a show at Four Winds Field in front of a crowd of 6,396 on Thursday night. With two singles, a stellar leaping catch, solid base running, a turned double-play, and a glimpse of his strong arm, Hoerner looks to be everything that the Cubs thought they got when they drafted the Stanford shortstop in June.
Hoerner's help could not lead South Bend to a series tying win, as the Snappers beat up on the Cubs for the second straight day by winning 8-1. Beloit has now won eight games in a row. The Snappers scored in all but four innings on Thursday night. It took just a run in the 2nd and another in the 4th to put the game away. Designated hitter Logan Farrar went 3/5 with two RBI and a triple to lead Beloit into first place of the western division.
The only offense South Bend could produce in game two came as well from their designated hitter. Michael Cruz pounded his 10th home run of the right center field wall to bring the game to a 5-1 Beloit lead. Cruz now brings his RBI total to 39.
The Snappers plated three more runs in the top of the 9th to finish the 8-1 final. South Bend's record falls to 45-45 on the season, while Beloit improves to 45-43.
Otherwise for the Cubs, it was the Nico Hoerner show. His first single was roped up the middle in the bottom of the 1st inning. He finished 2/4 in his South Bend debut. Tonight's debut overall was the 11th game played by Hoerner between Mesa, Eugene, and South Bend.
For the shortstop, it's his 11th hit.
The potential of Hoerner is through the roof. Now with a clear opportunity in South Bend as the starting shortstop, fans coming to games across the Midwest League will have the opportunity to watch the former Stanford Cardinal at his craft.
With four games remaining on this homestand, the Cubs will look to salvage the third and final game of the Beloit series tomorrow night. First pitch is scheduled for 7:35 p.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 12, 2018
- 'Caps Deliver Another Walk-Off Winner - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 'Caps Wilt to Red-Hot Kernels - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Rally to Get Even, Fall Late - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Earn Season-High Fifth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Young Swats First Slam as Lugnuts Upend Bees, 11-8 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings walloped in eighth straight loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Ober Continues Win Streak in 6-2 Triumph - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoerner Shines But Cubs Lose 8-1 to Beloit - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Drop Series to Captains After 6-1 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- Blowout Win Earns First Series Victory of Second Half - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers Notch Eighth Straight in Laugher - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Take Down Cougars 5-4 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Quad Cities Breaks Late Tie, Tops Dragons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits Capitalize on Dayton Miscues in 4-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Suffers Another Walkoff Loss to Whitecaps - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 12 at Cedar Rapids (Game 90) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons on TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Open Western Road Trip with Fourth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Walk-Off Winner Wastes Wisconsin - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Shaffer's Dominance Travels East - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend's Rally Comes up Short in Late Night Loss to TinCaps
- Rain Postpones Second Half of Doubleheader as Cubs Fall in Game One
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule
- Berardi's Bomb Beats Cubs in 10th to Finish Homestand
- Cubs Squeeze Their Way to 2-1 Win over Lake County