Chiefs Drop Series to Captains After 6-1 Loss
Peoria, IL - The Peoria Chiefs had their chances but dropped a 6-1 decision to the Lake County Captains on Thursday night as the Captains clinched the three-game series. The Chiefs are now 10-9 in the second half and 49-40 overall with the series finale set for 7:00 p.m. on Friday.
A couple unearned runs helped the Captains take an early lead in the top of the first against Chiefs starter Alex Fagalde. Leadoff man Todd Isaacs reached on a fielding error by third baseman Elehuris Montero. Nolan Jones drew a two-out walk and Jose Vicente drove in both runners with a triple for a 2-0 advantage.
The Captains doubled their lead in the top of the fourth. Will Benson drew a leadoff walk, stole second base with one down and Joshua Rolette hit a ground rule double to score him as Lake County led 3-0. Jesse Berardi lined a single to center that plated Rolette for 4-0 lead.
Two more runs came across for Lake County in the top of the seventh against reliever Kodi Whitley. Berardi worked a leadoff walk then stole second base and a throwing error by catcher Alexis Wilson moved Berardi to third. Isaacs drove in Berardi on a single to give the Captains a 5-0 advantage. Elvis Perez reached on a fielder's choice as Irving Lopez threw the ball away from second base allowing Isaacs to advance to third. With runners at the corners, Oscar Gonzalez brought in Isaacs on a sacrifice fly to center widening the margin to 6-0.
The Chiefs, who left the bases loaded in the fifth and hit into two earlier double plays, finally got on the board in the seventh against Lake County starter Jean Carlos Mejia. Wood Myers led off with a single and JR Davis lined a two-out double over Isaacs' head in right center to put Peoria on the board trailing 6-1.
Fagalde (4-3) took the loss allowing four runs, two earned on four hits over five innings with three walks and five strikeouts. Whitley pitched two innings allowing two runs, one earned on two hits with one walk and two strikeouts. CJ Saylor threw two scoreless innings allowing two hits with no walks and four strikeouts.
Fagalde tied his career high in walks with three and walked more than one batter in an inning for the first time this seasonThe Chiefs have been outscored 73-36 in the first inningLake County scored 11 unanswered runs dating back to the top of the fifth inning during game one until Peoria scored in the bottom of the seventhLopez had his five-game hit streak endGonzalez recorded his 25th multi-hit game of the seasonThe Chiefs hit into two more double plays and lead the league in double plays hit into with 88The series concludes at 7:00 p.m. Friday with post-game fireworks as the Chiefs start RH Angel Rondon (0-0, 0.00) against Lake County LH Kirk McCarty (2-8, 4.83)The first 1,000 fans through the gates ages 13 and up receive a Carson Kelly bobble headFriday is Harry Potter Night as the Chiefs will wear special Harry Potter themed jerseys that will be auctioned off during the game to benefit the Police Athletic LeagueThe broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 6:45 p.m. on www.peoriachiefs.com/listenlive and is also available on the Peoria Chiefs Network on the Tune-In Radio AppThe game is also available to subscribers on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 12, 2018
- 'Caps Deliver Another Walk-Off Winner - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 'Caps Wilt to Red-Hot Kernels - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Rally to Get Even, Fall Late - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Earn Season-High Fifth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Young Swats First Slam as Lugnuts Upend Bees, 11-8 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings walloped in eighth straight loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Ober Continues Win Streak in 6-2 Triumph - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoerner Shines But Cubs Lose 8-1 to Beloit - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Drop Series to Captains After 6-1 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- Blowout Win Earns First Series Victory of Second Half - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers Notch Eighth Straight in Laugher - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Take Down Cougars 5-4 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Quad Cities Breaks Late Tie, Tops Dragons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits Capitalize on Dayton Miscues in 4-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Suffers Another Walkoff Loss to Whitecaps - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 12 at Cedar Rapids (Game 90) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons on TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Open Western Road Trip with Fourth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Walk-Off Winner Wastes Wisconsin - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Shaffer's Dominance Travels East - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.