TinCaps Game Notes: July 12 at Cedar Rapids (Game 90)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (12-8, 44-45) @ Cedar Rapids Kernels (13-7, 45-44)
RHP Mason Thompson vs. RHP Bailey Ober
Thursday, July 12 - Perfect Game Field (Cedar Rapids, IA) - 7:35 PM (Game 90)
LISTEN: ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM / TuneIn / TinCapsRadio.com
WATCH: MiLB.TV (subscription)
WEDNESDAY NIGHT: The TinCaps opened up their 6-game road trip with an 8-4 win over the Kernels. Fort Wayne led 8-0 at the stretch, thanks to 5 scoreless innings from starter Luis Patiño, and an 11-hit offensive attack.
HOT CAPS: The TinCaps are 12-6 in their last 18 games. During these 18 games, Fort Wayne has outscored its opponents 84-59.
EYE ON SEPTEMBER: Of the 6 Midwest League Eastern Division teams vying for a second-half playoff spot, the TinCaps currently lead the way - 1 up on South Bend, 2 ahead of both Lake County and West Michigan, 3 in front of Dayton, and 8 better than Great Lakes.
PODO IS MONEY: Since making his 2018 TinCaps debut on May 18, Robbie Podorsky leads the Midwest League in hitting with a .361 average. (Next on the list is Bowling Green's Vidal Brujan at .349.) In this range, "Podo" is 3rd in the MWL in stolen bases with 19, trailing only teammate Esteury Ruiz (22) and Brujan (20). He's currently on a 7-game on-base streak.
MELEAN MASHING: Through his first 3 games as a TinCap, Kelvin Melean is 6-for-10. Half of those hits have been doubles.
ROSARIO RISING: After slashing .269/.381/.322 in the first half, Jeisson Rosario has posted a line of .313/.400/.469 since the All-Star break. Rosario already has more extra-base hits in the second half (8 - 6 doubles, 2 triples) than he did in the first half (7).
2 FOR GABE: Gabriel Arias had 2 hits Wednesday, including a double - his first extra-base hit since doubling on June 25.
ALL THE POWER: Luis Almanzar was homerless through his first 36 games as a TinCap, but has now homered twice in his last 11 games.
FERNANDEZ FIGURING IT OUT: Juan Fernandez is batting .300 (12-for-40) over his last 10 games with 4 doubles and 2 RBIs.
NO PLACE LIKE ROAD: Jalen Washington is slashing .259/.376/.424 on the road while producing a line of .207/.298/.261 at Parkview Field. 3 of his 4 homers have come on the road.
SUWINSKI'S SECOND HALF: Jack Suwinski slashed .205/.286/.324 in the first half of the season but is at .267/.340/.511 since the All-Star break.
LEAGUE LEADERS: Jeisson Rosario is tied for 2nd in runs (56), 7th in OBP (.385), and 9th in walks (46)... Esteury Ruiz is 3rd in SB (32)... Robbie Podorsky is tied 9th in SB (19)... Osvaldo Hernandez is 3rd in ERA (2.25)... Aaron Leasher is 8th in ERA (2.79)... Travis Radke is 3rd in saves (11).
ADVANCED STATS LEAGUE LEADERS: Jeisson Rosario is 9th in BB% (13%), 8th in BB/K (0.71), and 11th in LD% (22%)... Tirso Ornelas has the 8th lowest Swing & Miss% (7%).
BULLPEN BOOMERANG: TinCaps relievers have posted a 2.93 ERA over the last 69 games since April 25. In this time, the 'pen has been led by Travis Radke, Caleb Boushley, Evan Miller, and Ben Sheckler. Through the first 19 games of the year, the bullpen had allowed 60 ER in 72.1 IP for a 7.47 ERA. In the last 69 games, the bullpen has allowed 85 ER in 261 IP.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 12, 2018
- 'Caps Deliver Another Walk-Off Winner - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 'Caps Wilt to Red-Hot Kernels - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Rally to Get Even, Fall Late - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Earn Season-High Fifth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Young Swats First Slam as Lugnuts Upend Bees, 11-8 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings walloped in eighth straight loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Ober Continues Win Streak in 6-2 Triumph - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoerner Shines But Cubs Lose 8-1 to Beloit - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Drop Series to Captains After 6-1 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- Blowout Win Earns First Series Victory of Second Half - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers Notch Eighth Straight in Laugher - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Take Down Cougars 5-4 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Quad Cities Breaks Late Tie, Tops Dragons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits Capitalize on Dayton Miscues in 4-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Suffers Another Walkoff Loss to Whitecaps - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 12 at Cedar Rapids (Game 90) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons on TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Open Western Road Trip with Fourth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Walk-Off Winner Wastes Wisconsin - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Shaffer's Dominance Travels East - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- TinCaps to Hold National Anthem Auditions for 2019 Season
- TinCaps & Parkview Field Set to Host 6th Annual Parkview Sports Medicine High School Baseball Series
- Nine Recent TinCaps Ranked Among MLB's Top 100 Prospects
- Job Fair at Parkview Field
- 2019 Promotional Schedule Released