Bandits Capitalize on Dayton Miscues in 4-3 Win
Dayton, OH - The Quad Cities River Bandits took advantage of six Dayton Dragons errors and a big hit from Alfredo Angarita to escape with a 4-3 victory on Thursday night at Fifth Third Field. Three of the four runs scored by the Bandits were unearned.
The River Bandits scored a pair of unearned runs in the second inning to take the early advantage.
Marty Costes walked to open the frame against starter Austin Orewiler and went to second on a single from David Hensley. With men on first and second, Michael Papierski hit a groundball to second base. The Dragons tried to turn a double play, but the shortstop missed the bag with his foot and threw wide of first. That allowed both runners, Costes and Hensley, to score and gave the Bandits a 2-0 lead.
The Dragons trimmed their deficit in half in the second inning. After back-to-back walks from starter Peter Solomon opened the inning, a similar situation to the top of the inning unfolded. A groundball to short resulted in the Bandits getting an out at second base, but Miguelangel Sierra's throw to first skipped into the dugout and allowed a run to score.
The lead grew to two again when the River Bandits loaded bases with no outs in the fourth inning. Logan Mattix struck out swinging, but Angarita drove in a run with a fielder's choice groundout to second base to make it 3-1.
Dayton pulled even in the bottom of the sixth inning, Parker Mushinski's first on the hill. Andy Sugilio reached on an infield single with one out. Leandro Santana followed by hammering his seventh home run of the year onto the party deck in left field to even the game at 3-3.
In the eighth inning, the River Bandits got a leadoff walk from Chandler Taylor. He was erased on a fielder's choice bouncer to third off the bat of Scott Schreiber. With two down, Angarita slapped a double into the left field corner that allowed Schreiber to race all the way around the bases with the go-ahead run.
In the bottom of the ninth, with the score still 4-3, the Dragons Malik Collymore reached base when Mattix dropped his two out fly ball to center. He advanced to third on another error charged to Mattix when his throw back to the infield rolled into the dugout. Tanner Duncan rebounded by getting Alejo Lopez to fly out to right field to end the game.
Solomon worked the first 5.0 innings and allowed an unearned run on one hit while striking out five. Mushinski allowed two runs on two hits in 3.0 innings, picking up the win in the process. Duncan recorded his fourth save with a scoreless ninth inning.
The Bandits finished the game with eight hits. Sierra was the only Quad Cities player with two hits. Sugilio added a pair of hits for Dayton.
The River Bandits (11-9, 51-39) will close out the series against the Dragons (9-12, 40-49) on Friday night at Fifth Third Field with a 6:00 p.m. first pitch. RHP Cesar Rosado (4-2, 3.99) will take the ball for the River Bandits against Dayton RHP Wendolyn Bautista (3-4, 3.96).
All River Bandits games are broadcast on 1170 K-BOB and TuneIn Radio. Home games are also available with video on MiLB.TV.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 12, 2018
- 'Caps Deliver Another Walk-Off Winner - West Michigan Whitecaps
- 'Caps Wilt to Red-Hot Kernels - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Rally to Get Even, Fall Late - Kane County Cougars
- Captains Earn Season-High Fifth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Young Swats First Slam as Lugnuts Upend Bees, 11-8 - Lansing Lugnuts
- LumberKings walloped in eighth straight loss - Clinton LumberKings
- Ober Continues Win Streak in 6-2 Triumph - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hoerner Shines But Cubs Lose 8-1 to Beloit - South Bend Cubs
- Chiefs Drop Series to Captains After 6-1 Loss - Peoria Chiefs
- Blowout Win Earns First Series Victory of Second Half - Great Lakes Loons
- Snappers Notch Eighth Straight in Laugher - Beloit Snappers
- Hot Rods Take Down Cougars 5-4 - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Quad Cities Breaks Late Tie, Tops Dragons 4-3 - Dayton Dragons
- Bandits Capitalize on Dayton Miscues in 4-3 Win - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Wisconsin Suffers Another Walkoff Loss to Whitecaps - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 12 at Cedar Rapids (Game 90) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Dragons on TV Friday, Saturday, & Sunday on Dayton's CW - Dayton Dragons
- Dragons Notes for Thursday - Dayton Dragons
- Captains Open Western Road Trip with Fourth Straight Win - Lake County Captains
- Whitecaps Walk-Off Winner Wastes Wisconsin - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Shaffer's Dominance Travels East - Kane County Cougars
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.