Wheeling Nailers Weekly
Upcoming Games :
Wednesday, November 19, 7:05 - Trenton Devils at Wheeling Nailers - WesBanco Wednesday. Show WesBanco debit or credit card for buy one get one free tickets. Special drink considerations through first intermission.
Friday, November, 21, 7:35 - Wheeling Nailers at Cincinnati Cyclones
Saturday, November 22, 7:35 - Wheeling Nailers at Cincinnati Cyclones
Wednesday, November 26, 7:05 - Johnstown Chiefs at Wheeling Nailers - WesBanco Wednesday. Riesbeck's "Our Family" Food Markets Day. Donate an "Our Family" Food Item and receive $2 off an adult ticket. All donators registered to win 2 tickets to a Pittsburgh Penguins game. All donations go to the Wheeling Food Bank.
Saturday, November 29, 7:35 - Elmira Jackals at Wheeling Nailers - Wheeling Hockey Hall of Fame night. Inaugural class to include former Wheeling Thunderbird great Darren Schwartz and Wheeling Amateur Hockey Association founder Bob Otten. Darren Schwartz bobblehead dolls for the first 2500 fans in attendance courtesy of Main Street Bank.
Great tickets available for upcoming Wheeling Nailers home games! Call the Wheeling Nailers at 304-234-GOAL or 1-877-NAIL-TIX or log-on for more info at wheelingnailers.com
Last Week -
Friday - The Wheeling Nailers record 10 game regulation-unbeaten streak to begin the season came to a close Friday night in a 6-3 loss to the Dayton Bombers at WesBanco Arena. It is tied for the 2nd longest such streak in the history of the ECHL. The Nailers raced out to a 3-0 lead on goals by Nick Johnson, Mitch Ganzak and Brian Ewing. It was Johnson's league leading 11th of the season. Ganzak's was the first of his professional career for the rookie out of Miami (Ohio) University). Ewing, the first Wheeling native to play professional hockey, scored his 3rd of the year and the first of 3 on the weekend. 2 of Wheeling's goals came on their league leading power play. After the quick start the Bombers rallied for 6 unanswered goals beginning with Nino Musitelli's tally at the end of the first period and concluding with Jaret Lukin's empty-netter to finish the game. Lukin scored 2 goals for the Bombers and Dayton goalie Paul Drew recovered from a rough start to make several dazzling saves to deny the Nailers' attempts to rally. Jordan Morrison, among others, had several opportunities turns aside by the Bombers netminder. Curtis Darling (4-1-2) took the loss for the Nailers. Wheeling is 1-1 against Dayton this year.
Saturday - Wheeling bounced back strong Saturday night with their first ever win at Elmira's First Arena in defeating the Jackals 4-1 in the initial encounter of the season between the two teams. Matt Grennier and Brian Ewing both scored twice for the Nailers. The rookie Grennier picked up his first two goals of his professional career. Ewing put the finishing touches on his stellar weekend with the empty-net goal at the end to cap the victory. He has 4 goals in his last 4 games. David Brown played perhaps his best game of the year making several dazzling saves. He turned aside 24 of Elmira's 25 shots and gave up no 'regular' goals and only allowed a penalty-shot goal in the first period in improving his record to 3-0-2. Wheeling's penalty kill did a solid job holding Dayton to 0/6 on the power play. Wheeling is 1-0 vs. Elmira this year.
Team Leaders -
Goals - Nick Johnson (11)
Assists - Tommy Goebel (13)
Points - Tommy Goebel (20)
Goals Against - David Brown (2.34)
Saves Percentage - David Brown (.928)
Wins - Curtis Darling (4)
Nailers Notes -
3 of the top 4 scores in the league are Wheeling Nailers. Tommy Goebel's 20 points is tops in the ECHL. Rob Sirianni has 19 points and is tied for 2nd with Elmira's Tyler Donati. Nick Johnson is 4th with 18 points. Aaron Clarke is tied for 5th with 17 points.
Nick Johnson's 11 goals are 1st in the ECHL. He is also tied for the lead in power play goals with 5.
Tommy Goebel's 13 assists are tied for most in the league with 2 other players. Clarke and Sirianni are tied for 4th with 11.
Nick Johnson's 10 goals ties him for the league lead with Alaska's Josh Soares. Rob Sirianni is tied for 3rd in the league with 8 goals.
Goebel leads the league in +/- rating with +13. Mitch Ganzak and Rob Sirianni are tied for 3rd at +11.
The Nailers are the highest scoring team in the league at 4.58 goals per game.
Wheeling's power play is 2nd in the ECHL and first in the American Conference at 24% (18/75).
Wheeling's is 4th in the ECHL and 1st in the North Division in shots per game with 34.
The Nailers have more wins in ECHL history than any other organization with 695. They are aiming to become the first ECHL team in history to reach the 700 win milestone.
On the Air -
All games are broadcast on the Wheeling Nailers hockey radio network including The Mix 97.3fm and streamed live on wheelingnailers.com and video on the B2 networks. The voice of the Nailers, Bob Rotruck, provides all the play-by-play action with former Wheeling Thunderbird great Brock Woods providing color commentary on home games. The broadcasts begin with the USA Steak Buffet Countdown to Faceoff 20 minutes before the game-start including the Main Street Bank Coach's Conversation with Greg Puhalski.
Home games feature the live version of the Riesbeck's Food Market's post-game show from the club at WesBanco Arena featuring a recap of the game and live interviews with Nailers players. Come join us at the club downstairs at WesBanco Arena where you can meet the players and listen to the post-game show live.
Every Thursday night at 6pm it's the Nailers Power Hour live from Generations Pub and Restaurant and carried on the Wheeling Nailers Hockey Radio Network. Be sure to e-mail us your questions for Coach Puhalski and your favorite Nailers players and we will read them on the air. The e-mail address is email@example.com . Be sure to include your first name and your hometown and listen for us to read your question on the air!
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from November 17, 2008
- Thunder Take Four of Six Points on Road, Visit Idaho This Week - Stockton Thunder
- Reign Gain Five Points In Standings - Ontario Reign
- Condors Hockey Reaches Final Four in Greatest Thing About Bakersfield - Bakersfield Condors
- Royals Loan Marsh and Schaeffer To AHL - Reading Royals
- Wranglers Deal Houle to Cincinnati - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Off The Hook - Idaho Steelheads
- Chiefs Announce Time Change, Promotional Appearances - Johnstown Chiefs
- Weekly Arrowhead - Johnstown Chiefs
- NHL's Philadelphia Flyers Call Up D'Amour for "AAA" Phantoms - Dayton Bombers
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Condors win consecutive games over weekend, three of four overall - Bakersfield Condors
- Grizzlies Open Five-Game Home Stand Friday - Utah Grizzlies
- Aces Off To Best Start Ever - ECHL
- Iowa recalls Thomas - Bakersfield Condors
- Cyclones Acquire Goaltender Martin Houle - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Lerg Recalled, Thunder Assigned McDonald - Stockton Thunder
- Dayton Bombers Weekly Update - Dayton Bombers
- Fresno Falcons Weekly - Fresno Falcons
- Stingrays Weekly - South Carolina Stingrays
- RoadRuners Receive Goalie Kyle Jones From Worcester - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Royals Weekly - Reading Royals
- T-Devils split pair of road games in the Keystone State - Trenton Devils
- Everblades Weekly - Florida Everblades
- RoadRunners' luck runs out in Canada - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly - Wheeling Nailers
- Gladiators Acquire Dunne from Florida - Atlanta Gladiators
- Gladiators Weekly Update - Atlanta Gladiators
- Sea Wolves Weekly - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Cyclones Open Three Game Homestand - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Blades trade Dunne to Gwinnett - Florida Everblades
- Stingrays Acquire Forward Corey from Reading - South Carolina Stingrays
- Aces Polish Off Grizzlies, 8-4 - Alaska Aces
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Wheeling Nailers Stories
- Wheeling Nailers Weekly Report, October 15
- Nailers Rally Late, But Fall Short in Norfolk to Open Season
- Nailers at Admirals Game Day Snap Shot, October 13
- Nailers Announce 2018-19 Opening Roster
- Alternate Jersey, Hall of Fame Class Highlight 2018 State of the Team Event