Walters Deals in LumberKings Series Winner
GENEVA, IL - Jake Walters earned the first win of his professional career and the Clinton LumberKings early offense held up for a 4-2 triumph over the Kane County Cougars on Monday afternoon at Northwestern Medicine Field. The LumberKings (12-6, 45-42) broke out for early offense that held up against the Cougars (12-6, 47-40) lone rally of the game.
Clinton pushed across the game's first run in the top of the second inning with a two-run rally against Cougars starter Jackson Goddard. Thomas Jones tripled home the first run with two out in the inning on a fly ball to right center that split the outfielders and rolled to the wall. Three pitches later, Marcos River singled to right to chase home Jones and give Clinton a lead they would not relinquish.
Goddard (4-3) was given the loss for Kane County with a 3.2 inning outing in which he allowed three runs, two earned, on five hits while walking three and striking out three.
In the top of the third, the LumberKings added to their lead. Christopher Torres singled to open the inning, breaking an 0-for-26 skid at the plate, and moved to third on a combination sacrifice bunt and wild pitch. Bubba Hollins then scored him from third with a sacrifice fly to center field.
The lead then ballooned to four when Clinton plated their final run of the game in the top of the fifth inning. Davis Bradshaw singled to lead-off and then scored on a Peyton Burdick RBI double to right field.
The run support was more than enough for Jake Walters (1-3) who turned in a strong 6.2 inning performance. He allowed no runs while surrendering just two hits - walking five and striking out seven.
Kane County's only runs of the game came in the bottom of the eighth inning. After the first batters of the inning reached, Jose Herrera doubled to right to bring home a pair of runs that cut the Clinton lead to two.
Elkin Alcala was then brought in and retired all six of the Cougars batters he faced to preserve the win and earn his third save of the year.
The LumberKings will take tomorrow off for a league wide off day for the Major League Baseball All-Star Game. Clinton will then play host to the Lake County Captains on Wednesday night at NelsonCorp Field. Wednesday's game starts at 6:30 p.m. for fans looking to listen to the game you can Erik Oas starting at 6:15 p.m. on 100.3 FM WCCI and online at lumberkings.com via the tunein radio app.
Gates will open at 5:00 p.m. with the first 500 fans to enter the ballpark receiving the fourth installment of the baseball card strip giveaway courtesy of Clinton National Bank and Mediacom.
Wednesdays are "Retro Beer Nights" in Clinton with $2 select beers sold out of the first base beer stand all game long.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 8, 2019
- Kernels Extend Streak on Miraculous Monday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Late Collapse Costs Bandits as Cedar Rapids Sweeps Series - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Chiefs Score Four in Third Inning But Lose - Peoria Chiefs
- Captains Trio Blank Lugnuts - Lake County Captains
- Dragons Rally and Comeback to Walk-Off Cubs 5-4 - South Bend Cubs
- Cantillo Is No Kolek - Great Lakes Loons
- Dragons Score 4 in 9th, Take Walk-Off Win over South Bend - Dayton Dragons
- Fort Wayne's Rally Comes Up Short In Series Finale - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Cougars Lose Rubber Game to LumberKings - Kane County Cougars
- Walters Deals in LumberKings Series Winner - Clinton LumberKings
- TinCaps Rank Among Top 25 in Minor League Baseball Sales - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 8 at Great Lakes (Game 86) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Snappers Break Rattlers with Twenty Hits - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Snappers Smash 20 hits in 11-2 victory over Timber Rattlers - Beloit Snappers
- Dragons Host Public Safety Day on Sunday, July 14 - Dayton Dragons
- Another Sweep in Bowling Green - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Wilson's HR, Sampen's Pitching Pace 5-3 Win to Earn Sweep - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Dragons Notes for Monday - Dayton Dragons
- Bees Win Second Straight over Chiefs, 5-3 - Burlington Bees
- Andrew Cabezas Named MWL Pitcher of the Week - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Yeltsin Encarnacion rejoins Kernels from Rochester - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Hot Rods Game Notes - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- South Bend Cubs Announce Upcoming Game/Promotion Schedule - South Bend Cubs
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.