Vipers Give Oklahoma City the Blues
EDINBURG, Texas - In a night of career and season-highs, the Rio Grande Valley Vipers (14-26) defeated Oklahoma City Blue (20-20) 134-125 at Bert Ogden Arena.
It took the Vipers no time to get into the flow of the game as they jumped to a 13-9 lead over Oklahoma City, but Oklahoma was right behind. With 4:24 remaining in the quarter Oklahoma grabbed an 18-17 lead and maintained it until the end of the quarter. At this point, Oklahoma led 31-28 and Vipers two-way player William Howard had a perfect shooting percentage all while leading the team with 10 points.
With just two minutes into the second quarter the Vipers took a 34-33 lead and maintained it until Oklahoma tied the game 46-46. RGV once again jumped to the lead, but with three minutes remaining on the clock the Blue came back and claimed a 67-59 lead going into halftime.
At the half Houston Rockets assignee Isaiah Hartenstein already had a double-double with 12 points and 13 rebounds. Brandon Sampson had a perfect shooting percentage and 12 points. Chris Clemons, Houston Rockets assignee, went into the half with 10 points. On the Blue side Kadeem Jack posted 13 points while Myke Henry added 11 points.
The third quarter was electrifying for both teams as they fought for a lead. With 5:40 remaining in the third quarter Oklahoma City still had an 85-80 lead. Within the next five minutes RGV went on 27-point run and limited the Blue offense to scoring 13 points which put the Vipers on top 107-98.
In the final quarter both teams picked up the tempo both offensively and defensively, but the Vipers went on a 27-point run and snatched a 134-125 win.
Clemons posted 21 points and reached a new career-high in assists with 16. Hartenstein obtained a 20-20 with 27 points and a new season-high of 21 rebounds. Jarell Martin also reached a season-high in points with 19. Sampson came off the bench and put up 23 points and dished out eight rebounds. Isaiah Taylor racked up 21 points meanwhile Howard added 15 points.
Scotty Hopson paved the way for Oklahoma with 21 points, six assists and four rebounds. Cook followed with 16 points, six rebounds and two assists. Markel Brown, Jack, Devon Hall and Henry powered out 15 points each.
The Vipers return home tomorrow Saturday, March 7 at 7:30 p.m. CT against Northern Arizona Suns. For more information, contact the RGV Vipers at 956-56-ARENA or visit www.rgvipers.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 6, 2020
- Clips Comeback But Lose Late Lead to Legends - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Long Island Nets Fall to Lakeland Despite Second Half Comeback - Long Island Nets
- Austin Spurs Come Back to Defeat Northern Arizona Suns 117-114 in Overtime - Austin Spurs
- Wolves Fail to Hold off Stars in Salt Lake City - Iowa Wolves
- Suns Lose Overtime Thriller at Spurs - Northern Arizona Suns
- Vipers Give Oklahoma City the Blues - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Stays Hot at Home, Cruises to 125-102 Victory over Warriors - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Herd Channels New York State of Mind and Sweeps Westchester in Season Series Finale - Wisconsin Herd
- Warriors Fall to Skyforce, 125-102 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bulls Come up Short at Home to Go-Go, 117-108 - Windy City Bulls
- Fort Wayne Has Season Best Shooting Night in Win over College Park - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- BayHawks Swat the Storm, Win 134-129 - Erie BayHawks
- Doumbouya Leads Drive to Key Victory - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Fall to Drive - Maine Red Claws
- Kings Sit at the Top in League Rankings - Stockton Kings
- Magic Celebrate City of Lakeland with Swans Night Theme Game - Lakeland Magic
- Long Island Nets to Host Nassau County AA Boys and Girls Basketball Championships this Sunday, March 8 - Long Island Nets
- Detroit Pistons Assign Sekou Doumbouya and Donta Hall to Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Indiana Pacers Assign Alize Johnson to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Skyforce Acquires Angel Delgado - Sioux Falls Skyforce
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Rio Grande Valley Vipers Stories
- Porter Jr. Records First Triple-Double of G League Season in Vipers Big Win over BayHawks
- Lamb Joins RGV from Canton Charge
- Thomas Earns Two-Way Call-Up with Cleveland Cavaliers
- Porter Jr. Scores 28, Vipers Fall to Greensboro 109-115
- First Quarter Burst Earns Big Win for Vipers over Long Island