Red Claws Fall to Drive
Portland, ME - The Maine Red Claws, presented by Unum, battled Grand Rapids in a back-and-forth game that saw 29 lead changes, but fell to the Drive Friday night, 102-101 at the Portland Expo.
Maine (28-12) was led by Bryce Brown with 26 points. Vincent Poirier, on assignment from the Boston Celtics, finished with 18 points and 11 rebounds in his 3rd game with the Red Claws and first since December. Yante Maten added 18 points including a late dunk that put Maine up one. Justin Bibbs added 10 points in his return to the court.
Grand Rapids (25-16) was led by Detroit Pistons assignee Sekou Doumbouya with 30 points, including the game-winner in the final seconds. Two-Way Player Jordan Bone finished with 17 points in the win.
Bibbs, playing in his first game since Jan. 24, opened the scoring with a three. Sekou Doumbouya, on assignment from the Detroit Pistons, scored early and often, scoring 6 of Grand Rapids first 13 points. The Drive took an early 5 point lead. Waters fed Poirier for the slam off an inbounds play, giving Maine a 17-15 lead. Brown buried a three to help put Maine up 4. The Red Claws led 27-23 after 1.
In the 2nd, Doumbouya's three-point play cut the Drive deficit to 1. Donta Hall's big slam put Grand Rapids up 34-31. The Drive extended to a 5 point lead. Poirier took advantage on the inside, scoring 4 quick points. Poirier lit up the paint with back-to-back dunks late in the period, giving Maine the lead back. The Red Claws led 53-49 at the break. Brown and Poirier each scored 12 in the first half, while Doumbouya led all scorers with 16 points.
Bibbs opened the 3rd with a driving bank shot to put Maine up 6. Craig Sword and the Drive quickly answered with an 8-0 run. Sword's bucket forced a timeout and gave Grand Rapids a 59-57 lead. Poirier's driving dunk put the Claws back up at 64-63. The two teams would go back-and-forth the rest of the period, with Brown hitting a corner three late to pull within 1. Poirier's free throw gave Maine a 73-72 lead. The Red Claws led 75-72 after 3.
In the 4th, Louis King's alley-oop put Grand Rapids up 4. Tra-Deon Hollins' steal and lay-up put the Drive up 81-75. The Red Claws scored 6 straight points to tie the game. Bibbs' triple forced a timeout and gave Maine a 84-81 lead. Dakarai Allen hit a big three to tie the game at 86. Waters drained a three to put the Claws up 1. Brown hit a huge three to give Maine the lead, but Sword's athletic offensive board and put-back tied the game at 94. Brown hit another three to put Maine up 99-98 with 1:10 to go. Hall's big dunk put Grand Rapids up 1 with 1:00 to go. Maten's monster slam put Maine up 101-100 in the final seconds. Doumbouya hit a big two to put the Drive up 102-101. That proved to be the game-winner.
Maine wound up shooting 45.8% (38-83) from the field, 28.6% (12-42) from three-point range, and 6-8 from the free throw line. Grand Rapids shot 40.2% (37-92) from the floor, 17.9% (5-28) from downtown, and 12-15 from the free throw line.
The Red Claws return to action Sunday afternoon vs. Windy City.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 6, 2020
- Clips Comeback But Lose Late Lead to Legends - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Long Island Nets Fall to Lakeland Despite Second Half Comeback - Long Island Nets
- Austin Spurs Come Back to Defeat Northern Arizona Suns 117-114 in Overtime - Austin Spurs
- Wolves Fail to Hold off Stars in Salt Lake City - Iowa Wolves
- Suns Lose Overtime Thriller at Spurs - Northern Arizona Suns
- Vipers Give Oklahoma City the Blues - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Stays Hot at Home, Cruises to 125-102 Victory over Warriors - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Herd Channels New York State of Mind and Sweeps Westchester in Season Series Finale - Wisconsin Herd
- Warriors Fall to Skyforce, 125-102 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bulls Come up Short at Home to Go-Go, 117-108 - Windy City Bulls
- Fort Wayne Has Season Best Shooting Night in Win over College Park - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- BayHawks Swat the Storm, Win 134-129 - Erie BayHawks
- Doumbouya Leads Drive to Key Victory - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Fall to Drive - Maine Red Claws
- Kings Sit at the Top in League Rankings - Stockton Kings
- Magic Celebrate City of Lakeland with Swans Night Theme Game - Lakeland Magic
- Long Island Nets to Host Nassau County AA Boys and Girls Basketball Championships this Sunday, March 8 - Long Island Nets
- Detroit Pistons Assign Sekou Doumbouya and Donta Hall to Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Indiana Pacers Assign Alize Johnson to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Skyforce Acquires Angel Delgado - Sioux Falls Skyforce
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Maine Red Claws Stories
- Tacko Fall, Tremont Waters Receive All-NBA G League Honors
- Tremont Waters Named NBA G League Rookie of the Year
- Statement from the Maine Red Claws on Cancellation of 2019-20 NBA G League Season
- Red Claws, TD Bank Launch "Fueling the Frontline" Today
- Statement from the Maine Red Claws