Doumbouya Leads Drive to Key Victory
PORTLAND, ME - The Grand Rapids Drive (25-16) clinched a huge win over the Eastern Conference's two-seeded Maine Red Claws (28-12) on Friday night with a final score of 102-101. This intense back-and-forth battle resulted in 29 lead changes in addition to 11 ties, but the Drive's ability to dominate the paint led to a well-deserved road victory.
Pistons assignee Sekou Doumbouya was a huge force for Grand Rapids tonight, dropping a team-high 30 points to go along with 8 rebounds, along with the game-winning jump shot with 7.6 seconds to go to put the Drive up one. Pistons two-way player Jordan Bone followed up with 17 points, 4 assists and 3 steals. Pistons assignee Donta Hall, currently on his second consecutive 10-day contract with Detroit, added a solid double-double to the mix with 14 points and 13 rebounds on his return to the Drive roster. Pistons two-way player Louis King contributed another 13 points and Craig Sword racked up 10 points, 6 rebounds and 4 steals.
Bryce Brown commanded the floor for the Red Claws tonight, earning a team-high 26 points and 4 rebounds. Vincent Poirier added a solid double-double to the stat line with 18 points, 11 rebounds, 4 assists, 3 steals and 3 blocks. Yante Maten matched Poirier's 18 points, while adding 6 rebounds and 2 steals of his own. Other Red Claws in double figures were Jaysean Paige (15 points, 6 rebounds, 5 assists & 3 steals) and Justin Bibbs (10 points).
Maine was able to convert shots much better than the Drive, shooting 46% (38-83) from the field and 29% (12-42) from three compared to 40% (37-92) from the field and 18% (5-28) from beyond the arc for Grand Rapids, but the Drive's tenacious defense earned them additional possessions that converted to crucial points down the stretch. The Drive secured 56 points in the paint compared to 48 for the Red Claws and hustled up 17 second-chance points to top the home team's 11 points.
The Red Claws will stay in Portland to host the Windy City Bulls for afternoon hoops on Sunday, March 8. Tip-off is at 1 p.m. local time. The Drive will return to action Sunday as well as they travel to Fort Wayne to battle the Mad Ants. Tip-ff is at 5 p.m. local time.
Highlights:Full Game >>> https://bit.ly/3cDWPso
Box Score >>> http://on.nba.com/3avGTqf
Standings >>> https://on.nba.com/2IpUOC2
Sekou Doumbouya (30pts & 8reb) >>> https://bit.ly/38xfClT
Jordan Bone (17pts, 4ast & 3stl) >>> https://bit.ly/2IrIMbw
Donta Hall (14pts & 13reb) >>> https://bit.ly/39wvKp6
Louis King (13pts) >>> https://bit.ly/2wEWSDy
Craig Sword (10pts, 6reb & 4stl) >>> https://bit.ly/2TvotjD
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 6, 2020
- Clips Comeback But Lose Late Lead to Legends - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Long Island Nets Fall to Lakeland Despite Second Half Comeback - Long Island Nets
- Austin Spurs Come Back to Defeat Northern Arizona Suns 117-114 in Overtime - Austin Spurs
- Wolves Fail to Hold off Stars in Salt Lake City - Iowa Wolves
- Suns Lose Overtime Thriller at Spurs - Northern Arizona Suns
- Vipers Give Oklahoma City the Blues - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Stays Hot at Home, Cruises to 125-102 Victory over Warriors - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Herd Channels New York State of Mind and Sweeps Westchester in Season Series Finale - Wisconsin Herd
- Warriors Fall to Skyforce, 125-102 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bulls Come up Short at Home to Go-Go, 117-108 - Windy City Bulls
- Fort Wayne Has Season Best Shooting Night in Win over College Park - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- BayHawks Swat the Storm, Win 134-129 - Erie BayHawks
- Doumbouya Leads Drive to Key Victory - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Fall to Drive - Maine Red Claws
- Kings Sit at the Top in League Rankings - Stockton Kings
- Magic Celebrate City of Lakeland with Swans Night Theme Game - Lakeland Magic
- Long Island Nets to Host Nassau County AA Boys and Girls Basketball Championships this Sunday, March 8 - Long Island Nets
- Detroit Pistons Assign Sekou Doumbouya and Donta Hall to Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Indiana Pacers Assign Alize Johnson to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Skyforce Acquires Angel Delgado - Sioux Falls Skyforce
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Grand Rapids Drive Stories
- Grand Rapids Drive Opt out of 2020-21 NBA G League Season
- Hall and Hollins Earn All-NBA G League Honors
- Drive, Griffins, Whitecaps and WMSC Unite as "One Team for West Michigan"
- Drive Set to Donate to Local Organizations
- Drive Statement on NBA G League Suspension