Clips Comeback But Lose Late Lead to Legends
ONTARIO, Calif. - The Agua Caliente Clippers (20-22) fought their way back against a double-digit deficit but couldn't hang on in the final minutes, falling to the Texas Legends (24-18), 100-97, on Friday night. The team now sits 1.5 games back of the Western Conference final playoff spot.
After a 15-0 run brought the Clippers back from a 13-point deficit with 4:57 to go in the third quarter, the Clippers stormed back with a vengeance, taking a 15-0 run into the fourth quarter to take a 73-71 lead. Down 99-97 with 12 seconds remaining, the Clippers forced a crucial turnover and got a good look to tie the game, but Terance Mann's jumper fell just short. Texas' Dakota Mathias would go on to miss his second free throw to keep Agua Caliente within range with 3.5 seconds left in regulation but Mfiondu Kabengele couldn't knock down his game-tying three-point attempt.
Amir Coffey led the Clippers' efforts with a game-high 26 points on nine-of-19 shooting from the field. Johnathan Motley added a 16-point, 13-rebound double-double.
The Legends were led by Mathias' 22 points and 14 rebounds. Cameron Payne added 23 points and seven assists for Texas.
The Clippers look to regain playoff position as they run it back against these Texas Legends on Sunday, March 8th. Tip off is at 3 p.m. PDT inside the Toyota Arena in Ontario, Calif.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 6, 2020
- Clips Comeback But Lose Late Lead to Legends - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Long Island Nets Fall to Lakeland Despite Second Half Comeback - Long Island Nets
- Austin Spurs Come Back to Defeat Northern Arizona Suns 117-114 in Overtime - Austin Spurs
- Wolves Fail to Hold off Stars in Salt Lake City - Iowa Wolves
- Suns Lose Overtime Thriller at Spurs - Northern Arizona Suns
- Vipers Give Oklahoma City the Blues - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Stays Hot at Home, Cruises to 125-102 Victory over Warriors - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Herd Channels New York State of Mind and Sweeps Westchester in Season Series Finale - Wisconsin Herd
- Warriors Fall to Skyforce, 125-102 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bulls Come up Short at Home to Go-Go, 117-108 - Windy City Bulls
- Fort Wayne Has Season Best Shooting Night in Win over College Park - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- BayHawks Swat the Storm, Win 134-129 - Erie BayHawks
- Doumbouya Leads Drive to Key Victory - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Fall to Drive - Maine Red Claws
- Kings Sit at the Top in League Rankings - Stockton Kings
- Magic Celebrate City of Lakeland with Swans Night Theme Game - Lakeland Magic
- Long Island Nets to Host Nassau County AA Boys and Girls Basketball Championships this Sunday, March 8 - Long Island Nets
- Detroit Pistons Assign Sekou Doumbouya and Donta Hall to Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Indiana Pacers Assign Alize Johnson to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Skyforce Acquires Angel Delgado - Sioux Falls Skyforce
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Agua Caliente Clippers Stories
- Agua Caliente Clippers' Johnathan Motley Earns All G-League Honors
- Clips Earn Crucial Win in Nail-Biter over Lakers
- Win over Legends Keeps Clips in Playoff Picture
- Clips Comeback But Lose Late Lead to Legends
- Rodriguez's Huge Dunk Overshadowed by Late Loss to Kings