Austin Spurs Come Back to Defeat Northern Arizona Suns 117-114 in Overtime
CEDAR PARK, Texas - The Austin Spurs (23-17), presented by SWBC, came back from a 10-point deficit in the fourth quarter to defeat the Northern Arizona Suns (8-33) by a final score of 117-114 on Friday night at the H-E-B Center at Cedar Park for Go Texas Night in front of 4,611 people.
San Antonio Spurs assignee Chimezie Metu posted his eighth double-double of the season with 21 points, 13 rebounds, 6 assists and 3 blocks in 39 minutes, while Dedric Lawson recorded his ninth double-double with 19 points and 12 rebounds in 43 minutes of play. Kenny Williams finished as the game-high scorer with 31 points (8-16 FG, 7-14 3FG, 7-7 FT) in 38 minutes, while Galen Robinson Jr. added 24 points (10-13 FG, 4-5 3FG) and 7 assists in 36 minutes.
At the end of the first, the Suns held a slight advantage over the Spurs leading 33-31. Williams led the way for the Spurs in the first scoring 14 of his 31 points in the quarter. The game remained close with 10 ties and eight lead changes in the first half alone. The Spurs took a one-point advantage going into the half (51-50).
The Suns started the third quarter on a 22-8 run helping them establish their biggest lead of the game at 72-59. The Spurs immediately answered with a 16-3 run to tie the score at 75 points apiece. With 3:12 left in the fourth quarter, the Suns held a 10-point advantage over the Spurs but the Spurs proceeded to end the fourth on a 14-3 run, sending the game to overtime tied at 105. The Spurs would go on to outscore the Suns 12-9 in overtime, allowing them to complete the comeback.
For the Suns, Jared Harper led the way with 25 points and 11 assists in 41 minutes. Four other Suns finished in double-digit figures, including Ike Nwamu (22), Jalen Lecque (18), Tariq Owens (14) and Aaron Epps (12).
The Austin Spurs return to action on Sunday, March 8 at 4 p.m. when they'll take on the Oklahoma City Blue. For tickets or the full season schedule, visit austinspurs.com.
• Discuss this story on the NBA G League message board...
NBA G League Stories from March 6, 2020
- Clips Comeback But Lose Late Lead to Legends - Agua Caliente Clippers
- Long Island Nets Fall to Lakeland Despite Second Half Comeback - Long Island Nets
- Austin Spurs Come Back to Defeat Northern Arizona Suns 117-114 in Overtime - Austin Spurs
- Wolves Fail to Hold off Stars in Salt Lake City - Iowa Wolves
- Suns Lose Overtime Thriller at Spurs - Northern Arizona Suns
- Vipers Give Oklahoma City the Blues - Rio Grande Valley Vipers
- Skyforce Stays Hot at Home, Cruises to 125-102 Victory over Warriors - Sioux Falls Skyforce
- Herd Channels New York State of Mind and Sweeps Westchester in Season Series Finale - Wisconsin Herd
- Warriors Fall to Skyforce, 125-102 - Santa Cruz Warriors
- Bulls Come up Short at Home to Go-Go, 117-108 - Windy City Bulls
- Fort Wayne Has Season Best Shooting Night in Win over College Park - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- BayHawks Swat the Storm, Win 134-129 - Erie BayHawks
- Doumbouya Leads Drive to Key Victory - Grand Rapids Drive
- Red Claws Fall to Drive - Maine Red Claws
- Kings Sit at the Top in League Rankings - Stockton Kings
- Magic Celebrate City of Lakeland with Swans Night Theme Game - Lakeland Magic
- Long Island Nets to Host Nassau County AA Boys and Girls Basketball Championships this Sunday, March 8 - Long Island Nets
- Detroit Pistons Assign Sekou Doumbouya and Donta Hall to Grand Rapids Drive - Grand Rapids Drive
- Indiana Pacers Assign Alize Johnson to Fort Wayne - Fort Wayne Mad Ants
- Skyforce Acquires Angel Delgado - Sioux Falls Skyforce
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Austin Spurs Stories
- Atlanta Hawks Name Landry Fields as Assistant General Manager
- Texas Pro Sports Teams and Civic Organizations Unite with #TexasTeamUp Campaign to Encourage Voter Turnout in the Lone Star State
- Virtual Auditions for 2020-21 Spurs Hype Squad Begin Today with Open Submission Round
- Spurs Sports Academy to Host Virtual Basketball Camps for Young Athletes Starting July 13
- Grizzlies Add Assistant Coach