Under Hot Sun, 'Caps Lose
CLINTON, Iowa - With the temperature above 90 degrees with a "feels like" north of 100, the TinCaps lost to the Clinton LumberKings (Miami Marlins affiliate) on Sunday afternoon, 8-2.
Clinton (16-7, 49-43) scored three runs in the first and added another in the third to take a 4-0 lead.
Fort Wayne (7-16, 40-51) scratched across an unearned run in the fourth to the trim the deficit to 4-1. But the LumberKings got that run back in the fifth.
The TinCaps, who finished the game 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left 11 on base, cut the deficit back to three runs at 5-2 in the sixth as third baseman Luke Becker had an RBI fielder's choice groundout. Yet, the home side plated a pair in the seventh and another in the eighth to balloon its lead. The 'Kings were 5-for-10 with runners in scoring position and only seven stranded.
Five of Clinton's 14 hits went for a double or triple. Left fielder Grant Little had the lone extra-base hit for the 'Caps, a double. Fort Wayne totaled 10 hits, including two each for Little, second baseman Tucupita Marcano, and Michael Curry.
The TinCaps complete their nine-game, 10-day road trip on Monday. They'll be back in action at Parkview Field on Wednesday to host the Peoria Chiefs.
Monday, July 15 @ Clinton (12:00 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Joey Cantillo
- LumberKings Probable Starter: RHP Jake Walters
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Slammin' Sunday - Great Lakes Loons
- 5 First Inning Runs Not Enough as Beloit falls 8-6 to Dayton - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Fade Late in 7-2 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Herrera Collects Five Hits Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- 7 Heaven: Cougars Ride Big 7th, Score 7 - Kane County Cougars
- Under Hot Sun, 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Teng's 10 Strikeouts Not Enough Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Reed Earns Win in LumberKings Debut - Clinton LumberKings
- Comeback Caps Stun Bees Again - Lake County Captains
- Danner Dinger Backs Nuts' Five-Hit Shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: July 17-22 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Top Cubs 6-4 to Force Rubber Game - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Take Two From Timber Rattlers on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods cruise to 8-2 victory over the Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Manzanero's 3-Run Triple Caps Dragons Largest Comeback of 2019 in 8-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Fourth Inning Frenzy Pushes Bandits to Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Hold Off Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 14 at Clinton (Game 91) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Defeat Bees 3-2 in Extra Innings - Burlington Bees
- Spencer Steer joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Can't Tame Lipcius, Whitecaps - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Fall to 'Kings in Road Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Parkview Field to Further Expand Protective Netting
- TinCaps Release 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Drew Brees to Headline "Night of Hope 2020" with Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- TinCaps Holding National Anthem Auditions for 2020 Season
- TinCaps Announce Day of the Week Promotions for 2020