Under Hot Sun, 'Caps Lose
CLINTON, Iowa - With the temperature above 90 degrees with a "feels like" north of 100, the TinCaps lost to the Clinton LumberKings (Miami Marlins affiliate) on Sunday afternoon, 8-2.
Clinton (16-7, 49-43) scored three runs in the first and added another in the third to take a 4-0 lead.
Fort Wayne (7-16, 40-51) scratched across an unearned run in the fourth to the trim the deficit to 4-1. But the LumberKings got that run back in the fifth.
The TinCaps, who finished the game 1-for-13 with runners in scoring position and left 11 on base, cut the deficit back to three runs at 5-2 in the sixth as third baseman Luke Becker had an RBI fielder's choice groundout. Yet, the home side plated a pair in the seventh and another in the eighth to balloon its lead. The 'Kings were 5-for-10 with runners in scoring position and only seven stranded.
Five of Clinton's 14 hits went for a double or triple. Left fielder Grant Little had the lone extra-base hit for the 'Caps, a double. Fort Wayne totaled 10 hits, including two each for Little, second baseman Tucupita Marcano, and Michael Curry.
The TinCaps complete their nine-game, 10-day road trip on Monday. They'll be back in action at Parkview Field on Wednesday to host the Peoria Chiefs.
Monday, July 15 @ Clinton (12:00 p.m.)
- TinCaps Probable Starter: LHP Joey Cantillo
- LumberKings Probable Starter: RHP Jake Walters
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Slammin' Sunday - Great Lakes Loons
- 5 First Inning Runs Not Enough as Beloit falls 8-6 to Dayton - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Fade Late in 7-2 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Herrera Collects Five Hits Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- 7 Heaven: Cougars Ride Big 7th, Score 7 - Kane County Cougars
- Under Hot Sun, 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Teng's 10 Strikeouts Not Enough Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Reed Earns Win in LumberKings Debut - Clinton LumberKings
- Comeback Caps Stun Bees Again - Lake County Captains
- Danner Dinger Backs Nuts' Five-Hit Shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: July 17-22 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Top Cubs 6-4 to Force Rubber Game - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Take Two From Timber Rattlers on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods cruise to 8-2 victory over the Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Manzanero's 3-Run Triple Caps Dragons Largest Comeback of 2019 in 8-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Fourth Inning Frenzy Pushes Bandits to Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Hold Off Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 14 at Clinton (Game 91) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Defeat Bees 3-2 in Extra Innings - Burlington Bees
- Spencer Steer joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Can't Tame Lipcius, Whitecaps - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Fall to 'Kings in Road Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Former TinCaps Back on the Field
- Fort Wayne TinCaps Lose 2020 Baseball Season
- TinCaps Offering Meal Kits for Both Families and Couples
- Parkview Foundation Accepting Donations Toward TinCaps Meal Kits for Healthcare Workers
- 2-Person Meal Kits Now Offered by TinCaps