Cougars Can't Tame Lipcius, Whitecaps
Comstock Park, Michigan - The Kane County Cougars (49-42, 14-8) dropped the series opener to the West Michigan Whitecaps (30-61, 9-13), 7-4, on Saturday night at Fifth Third Ballpark. Tigers 2019 draft pick, Andre Lipcius, had three hits and an RBI for the Whitecaps.
West Michigan scored in each of the first two innings. In the first, Ulrich Bojarski drove in Sam McMillan on a ground out for the game's first run. In the second, the Whitecaps got another run when Wenceel Perez grounded into a double play. West Michigan opened up a 5-0 lead in the fifth on Bryant Packard's RBI ground out and Nick Quintana's two-run double.
The Cougars grinded their way back into the game in the sixth with a three spot. Blaze Alexander drove in the first run with a sacrifice fly. Geraldo Perdomo brought two runs to the plate on a triple, scoring Tim Susnara and Dominic Fletcher. However, the Whitecaps responded with two runs in the bottom of the sixth on RBIs by Cristopher Proctor and Lipcius. The Cougars scored in the 8th on a wild pitch, but 7-4 is the closest they got.
Adrian Del Moral (1-1) took his first Midwest League loss. He allowed five runs (four earned) on nine hits with three strikeouts and two talks. Gio Arriera (3-6) earned the win with 5.1 innings of three-run ball. He walked five and struck out five. Zack Hess (1) earned the save, recording the final three outs of the game.
The Cougars and Whitecaps play game two of the three-game series on Sunday evening at 5:00 P.M. Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Slammin' Sunday - Great Lakes Loons
- 5 First Inning Runs Not Enough as Beloit falls 8-6 to Dayton - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Fade Late in 7-2 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Herrera Collects Five Hits Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- 7 Heaven: Cougars Ride Big 7th, Score 7 - Kane County Cougars
- Under Hot Sun, 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Teng's 10 Strikeouts Not Enough Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Reed Earns Win in LumberKings Debut - Clinton LumberKings
- Comeback Caps Stun Bees Again - Lake County Captains
- Danner Dinger Backs Nuts' Five-Hit Shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: July 17-22 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Top Cubs 6-4 to Force Rubber Game - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Take Two From Timber Rattlers on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods cruise to 8-2 victory over the Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Manzanero's 3-Run Triple Caps Dragons Largest Comeback of 2019 in 8-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Fourth Inning Frenzy Pushes Bandits to Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Hold Off Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 14 at Clinton (Game 91) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Defeat Bees 3-2 in Extra Innings - Burlington Bees
- Spencer Steer joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Can't Tame Lipcius, Whitecaps - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Fall to 'Kings in Road Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season