7 Heaven: Cougars Ride Big 7th, Score 7
Comstock Park, Michigan - The Kane County Cougars (50-42, 15-8) scored four seventh inning runs in a 7-2 win over the West Michigan Whitecaps (30-62, 9-14) on Sunday afternoon at Fifth Third Ballpark. Alek Thomas had two hits and three RBI and Jackson Goddard pitched six innings with only an unearned run allowed.
Goddard and his mound opponent, West Michigan's Hugh Smith, rolled in the early innings. The game remained scoreless until the bottom of the sixth. Dayton Dugas singled to lead off the inning. With one out, Cougar third baseman Buddy Kennedy committed a throwing error to put runners at second and third. The next hitter, Zach Malis, grounded out to put the Whitecaps up 1-0.
Smith finished his day on the mound with six shutout innings of three-hit ball. The Cougars got into the Whitecaps bullpen in the seventh, facing Jose Vasquez. After Blaze Alexander reached on an error, he came around to score the game-tying run on a passed ball. A double by Tra Holmes plated Zack Shannon to make it 2-1. Alek Thomas followed with a two-run two-bagger.
Thomas' hit chased Vasquez (1-4) from the game. All four runs he allowed were unearned, but he was only able to record two outs and took the loss.
Cristopher Proctor collected an RBI single in the bottom of the seventh to get West Michigan within two, but the Cougars scored three more in the ninth to pull away. Thomas had an RBI single and Zac Almond a bases-loaded walk.
Goddard (5-3) earned the win for his six-inning effort. The only run he allowed was unearned to go with five strikeouts and one walk. Blake Workman (9) notched a three-inning save with one unearned allowed.
The Cougars and Whitecaps play game three of the three-game series on Monday evening at 6:05 P.M. Follow the action live with Joe Brand on AM 1280 WBIG or on kccougars.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Slammin' Sunday - Great Lakes Loons
- 5 First Inning Runs Not Enough as Beloit falls 8-6 to Dayton - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Fade Late in 7-2 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Herrera Collects Five Hits Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- 7 Heaven: Cougars Ride Big 7th, Score 7 - Kane County Cougars
- Under Hot Sun, 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Teng's 10 Strikeouts Not Enough Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Reed Earns Win in LumberKings Debut - Clinton LumberKings
- Comeback Caps Stun Bees Again - Lake County Captains
- Danner Dinger Backs Nuts' Five-Hit Shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: July 17-22 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Top Cubs 6-4 to Force Rubber Game - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Take Two From Timber Rattlers on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods cruise to 8-2 victory over the Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Manzanero's 3-Run Triple Caps Dragons Largest Comeback of 2019 in 8-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Fourth Inning Frenzy Pushes Bandits to Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Hold Off Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 14 at Clinton (Game 91) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Defeat Bees 3-2 in Extra Innings - Burlington Bees
- Spencer Steer joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Can't Tame Lipcius, Whitecaps - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Fall to 'Kings in Road Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Kane County Cougars Stories
- Cougars Reveal Promotional Lineup for 2020 Season
- Cougars Announce Seasonal Job Fair Scheduled for February 8 and 23
- Cougars Announce Capital Improvements Ahead of 30th Anniversary Season
- Cougars Reveal Economic Impact Statement
- Harrison Returns to Manage Cougars for 2020 Season