Herrera Collects Five Hits Sunday
Peoria, IL - Despite scoring eight runs and tallying 15 hits the Peoria Chiefs fell to the Great Lakes Loons 9-8 Sunday night at Dozer Park. Ivan Herrera had a double as he went a perfect 5-for-5 with a run scored and two RBI as the Pekin Insurance Beyond the Expected Player of the Game.
After trailing 3-0 heading into the bottom of the first, Brendan Donovan walked and Delvin Perez hit his seventh double to put runners at second and third. Brady Whalen grounded out but Donovan scored from third to put the Chiefs on the scoreboard 3-1. Herrera followed with a bloop double down the right field line to score Perez and cut the deficit to 3-2. Alexis Wilson singled to center field to score Herrera and tie the game at three.
The Chiefs entered the bottom of the third down three, but got one back. Brady Whalen led off the bottom of the third with a single and advanced to second on a fielding error. Herrera followed with a single to put runners on first and third and Brandon Riley singled to score Whalen cutting the deficit to 6-4.
Although trailing in the fourth, the Chiefs answered with two runs. With one out, Perez singled and advanced to second after Whalen walked. After stealing third, Perez scored on an RBI single from Herrera and Riley doubled to score Whalen to cut the deficit to 7-6.
The Chiefs added a run in the bottom of the eighth, trailing 8-6. Donovan led off with a walk and advanced to second when Whalen walked with one out. Herrera singled, for his fifth hit of the game to load the bases and Donovan scored on a wild pitch from Loons reliever Justin Hagenman to cut the deficit to 8-7.
The Chiefs rallied but ultimately fell short in the ninth. With two outs, Edwin Figuera doubled and scored on Donovan's RBI single to pull the Chiefs within one, 9-8.
The Chiefs conclude their six-game homestand Monday, July 15 at 11:05 a.m. with Splash Day and half-price tickets. Individual game tickets, group tickets and season ticket packages, including full-season, a 35-game ticket package, an 18-game ticket package or a Flex Plan are currently on sale by calling 309-680-4000. Individual game tickets are also on sale with the Dozer Park Box Office open Monday - Friday from 10:00 am - 5:00 pm and online at www.peoriachiefs.com which also lists all of the season's promotions. Game times and promotions are subject to change. Monday's broadcast can be heard, starting with the Pre-Game Show at 10:50 a.m. on the Peoria Chiefs Tune-In Page, which is free and also has a free app for smartphones and tablets. The game is also available on MiLB.tv to subscribers.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Slammin' Sunday - Great Lakes Loons
- 5 First Inning Runs Not Enough as Beloit falls 8-6 to Dayton - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Fade Late in 7-2 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Herrera Collects Five Hits Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- 7 Heaven: Cougars Ride Big 7th, Score 7 - Kane County Cougars
- Under Hot Sun, 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Teng's 10 Strikeouts Not Enough Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Reed Earns Win in LumberKings Debut - Clinton LumberKings
- Comeback Caps Stun Bees Again - Lake County Captains
- Danner Dinger Backs Nuts' Five-Hit Shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: July 17-22 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Top Cubs 6-4 to Force Rubber Game - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Take Two From Timber Rattlers on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods cruise to 8-2 victory over the Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Manzanero's 3-Run Triple Caps Dragons Largest Comeback of 2019 in 8-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Fourth Inning Frenzy Pushes Bandits to Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Hold Off Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 14 at Clinton (Game 91) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Defeat Bees 3-2 in Extra Innings - Burlington Bees
- Spencer Steer joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Can't Tame Lipcius, Whitecaps - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Fall to 'Kings in Road Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.