5 First Inning Runs Not Enough as Beloit falls 8-6 to Dayton
DAYTON, OH - Beloit jumped out to an early 5-0 lead on Sunday afternoon, but could not hold on eventually falling to the Dayton Dragons by a final score of 8-6. Beloit pushed 5 across in the first inning, but Dayton scored 6 unanswered runs late to take the lead and the ballgame.
In the first, Beloit started off hot knocking in 5 runs to open up the contest. After Nick Ward was hit by a pitch to lead off, John Jones would single with one out putting runners on first and third for the meat of the order.
After a groundout, Nick Osborne would walk to load the bases with two outs, setting the stage for the Snappers monster inning. Devin Foyle would get the scoring started singling to right field and plating two runs to give the Snappers the first lead of the ballgame.
One batter later, Max Schuemann singled into right field again to plate Osborne and give the Snappers the early 3-0 lead. However, Beloit was not done, as Lester Madden singled up the middle to plate Foyle and Schuemann giving them the 5-0 lead heading to the bottom half.
The lead would hold into the later stages of this game, as Beloit would tack on another run after Dayton got on the board with 2 in the third.
In the fifth, Beloit would tack on one more and their last run of the game by using a little more of that two out magic. With the bases loaded, Devin Foyle would come through in the clutch once more hitting a sacrifice fly to drive in Jones and extend the lead to 6-2 in favor of Beloit.
Unfortunately for the Snappers, the lead would not hold as Dayton scored 6 unanswered runs with three-run fifth and sixth innings to not only take the lead, but ultimately win the game 8-6.
Beloit will look to salvage a game in this series tomorrow as they wrap up this 11-game road trip in Dayton, Ohio against the Dragons at 6 P.M. CT. Beloit will have an off day on Tuesday before returning home on Wednesday to open up a 6-game homestand starting with the Whitecaps.
The homestand stretches from Wednesday to Monday, July 22 and features a great list of promotions. Starting off the week will be Faith and Family Night on Thursday, Fireworks Friday, Lou Trivino Bobblehead on Sunday, and Summer Camp Book Giveaway on Monday.
The Beloit Snappers are a member of the Midwest League and have been the Single-A affiliate of the Oakland Athletics. For more ticket information, contact the Snappers office at (608) 362- 2272 or visit our website, www.snappersbaseball.com.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Slammin' Sunday - Great Lakes Loons
- 5 First Inning Runs Not Enough as Beloit falls 8-6 to Dayton - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Fade Late in 7-2 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Herrera Collects Five Hits Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- 7 Heaven: Cougars Ride Big 7th, Score 7 - Kane County Cougars
- Under Hot Sun, 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Teng's 10 Strikeouts Not Enough Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Reed Earns Win in LumberKings Debut - Clinton LumberKings
- Comeback Caps Stun Bees Again - Lake County Captains
- Danner Dinger Backs Nuts' Five-Hit Shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: July 17-22 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Top Cubs 6-4 to Force Rubber Game - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Take Two From Timber Rattlers on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods cruise to 8-2 victory over the Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Manzanero's 3-Run Triple Caps Dragons Largest Comeback of 2019 in 8-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Fourth Inning Frenzy Pushes Bandits to Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Hold Off Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 14 at Clinton (Game 91) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Defeat Bees 3-2 in Extra Innings - Burlington Bees
- Spencer Steer joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Can't Tame Lipcius, Whitecaps - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Fall to 'Kings in Road Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Beloit Snappers Stories
- Familiar Faces to Lead Snappers 2020 Field Staff
- Plan for Downtown Beloit Stadium Development Announced Along with New Ownership
- Future Stars, Baseball, and New Promotions Highlight Snappers Fun-Filled 2019 Season
- Snappers Drop Final Game Of 2019 Season
- 4-Run Third Inning Cost Snappers in 5-1 Loss