River Bandits Top Cubs 6-4 to Force Rubber Game
South Bend, IN: After Brennen Davis and the South Bend Cubs beat the Quad Cities River Bandits on a walk-off home run last night to open the series, the club hoped they could mount another comeback on Sunday afternoon in game two at Four Winds Field.
With a 5-2 Quad Cities lead after four innings of play, it looked like the River Bandits had a solid grasp and would be sure to force a rubber game tomorrow. South Bend made it interesting, as they put the game tying run on base in the bottom of the 9th inning with the winning run at the plate. The River Bandits eventually shut the door and beat the Cubs 6-4.
Sunday's game got started in a positive way for South Bend. They plated a run in each of the 2nd and 3rd innings and held a 2-0 grasp on Quad Cities. With one of their best starting pitchers Riley Thompson on the mound, the Cubs hoped he could shut the door.
Thompson struggled with command early, but worked a 1-2-3 top of the 3rd inning with two strikeouts. He again fought through command issues in the bottom of the 4th. Quad Cities plated five of their six runs in the inning with three hits, two walks, and a pair of RBI groundouts.
The Cubs were on the verge of getting Thompson off the hook, as the bullpen kept the game within reach with their continued success on Sunday. Righty Casey Ryan tossed 3.1 innings of one run baseball. Then right-hander Ivan Medina pitched the final two frames of shutout ball.
South Bend had a chance to win it in the 9th, but closer Devin Conn finished off the day with a strikeout of Andy Weber. With the loss, the Cubs fall to 49-42 on the season and a 12-11 second half record. They will have the opportunity to win the series tomorrow in the rubber game at 1:05 PM. Lefty Brendon Little will take the ball for the Cubs.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Slammin' Sunday - Great Lakes Loons
- 5 First Inning Runs Not Enough as Beloit falls 8-6 to Dayton - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Fade Late in 7-2 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Herrera Collects Five Hits Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- 7 Heaven: Cougars Ride Big 7th, Score 7 - Kane County Cougars
- Under Hot Sun, 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Teng's 10 Strikeouts Not Enough Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Reed Earns Win in LumberKings Debut - Clinton LumberKings
- Comeback Caps Stun Bees Again - Lake County Captains
- Danner Dinger Backs Nuts' Five-Hit Shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: July 17-22 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Top Cubs 6-4 to Force Rubber Game - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Take Two From Timber Rattlers on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods cruise to 8-2 victory over the Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Manzanero's 3-Run Triple Caps Dragons Largest Comeback of 2019 in 8-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Fourth Inning Frenzy Pushes Bandits to Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Hold Off Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 14 at Clinton (Game 91) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Defeat Bees 3-2 in Extra Innings - Burlington Bees
- Spencer Steer joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Can't Tame Lipcius, Whitecaps - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Fall to 'Kings in Road Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Bend Cubs Stories
- South Bend Cubs Launch Meals for Medical MVPs
- South Bend Cubs Host Second Virtual Game on May 24
- South Bend Cubs to Offer Curbside Concessions
- Hot Dog Takes Top Seed in Concession Madness
- South Bend Cubs and Weigel Broadcasting Co. Extend Television Deal for 2020 Season