TinCaps Game Notes: July 14 at Clinton (Game 91)
Fort Wayne TinCaps (7-15, 40-50) @ Clinton LumberKings (15-7, 48-43)
RHP Brandon Komar vs. RHP Remey Reed
Sunday, July 14 - NelsonCorp Field (Clinton, Iowa) - First Pitch 3:00 PM (Game 91 / 138)
LISTEN: John Nolan (ESPN Radio 1380 & 100.9 FM | TinCapsRadio.com | TuneIn)
LAST GAME: The TinCaps lost the lid-lifter against the LumberKings, 5-4, in a back-and-forth game. Fort Wayne held leads of 2-1 and 4-2 thanks to run-scoring singles by Agustin Ruiz and Michael Curry.
ROSTER MOVES: Today the Padres transferred infielder Luis Almanzar from the TinCaps to the AZL Padres 2. Infielder Ethan Skender has joined the 'Caps from Arizona. He'll make his debut this afternoon, DH-ing and batting fifth. Skender, who's from Metamora, IL, which is just about 15 miles northeast of Peoria, was drafted by San Diego in the 28th round of the 2016 MLB Draft out of State College of Florida, Manatee-Sarasota. Injury prevented him from making his pro debut until this summer. In 14 games in the Arizona League, the 22-year-old was slashing .385/.441/.673 (1.114 OPS) with 2 doubles, 2 triples, 3 homers, and 15 RBIs... Skender becomes the 43rd different TinCap this season (19 position players, 24 pitchers).
IN CONTROL: TinCaps pitchers have the best ratio of strikeouts to walks in the MWL this season (3.13). 'Caps pitchers have also walked the fewest batters in the MWL, averaging only 3.0 per 9 innings. Over the last 2 games, Fort Wayne pitchers have 26 strikeouts and only 2 walks.
SHUTTING THE DOOR: Fort Wayne's bullpen has been close to lights out the last 7 games, tossing 28.2 innings with 1 earned run (0.31 ERA) and 35 Ks.
MAKING HIS MARK: Infielder Tucupita Marcano has the 2nd lowest K% (9%) and swinging strike % (4%) in the MWL.
HOT CURRY: After a slow start to the season, since Memorial Day Weekend, Michael Curry has been one of the MWL's top hitters. In 36 games since May 26, Curry has slashed .293/.394/.491 (.885 OPS) with 8 doubles, 5 homers, and 22 RBIs. Curry's OPS during this stretch ranks 9th in the MWL.
HUNTING HITS: Like Curry, catcher Blake Hunt has had a different kind of season since May 26. Over his last 30 games, Hunt has slashed .330/.374/.473 (.847 OPS) with 11 doubles, 1 triple, 1 homer, and 17 RBIs.
WALK & RUN: Outfielder Jawuan Harris has the 2nd highest BB% in the MWL at 16%. He's also tied for 5th in stolen bases with 19.
260 TO THE SHOW: 2017 TinCaps reliever Andres Muñoz, 20, made his MLB debut on Friday night for the Padres in San Diego against the Braves. Muñoz pitched a scoreless inning with a strikeout as his fastball reached 101 MPH. A couple years ago he was just 18 years old as he joined the 'Caps late in the season and pitched in 6 games, including 3 playoff games. Muñoz is the 184th former Fort Wayne player to reach the big leagues.
HAWKEYE HOMECOMING: Hitting coach Jonathan Mathews is from Centerville, Iowa, in the southern part of the state, about 3.5 hours southwest of Clinton. Mathews still calls Centerville home. Over the course of his career he's coached at Indian Hills Junior College in Centerville and the University of Iowa.
SWEET ROAD CHICAGO: Thanks to the Padres, TinCaps players and staff spent Tuesday's off-day in Chicago. After a 3-game series in Midland, MI, the team bused to Chicago and toured the Willis Tower Skydeck, The Bean at Millennium Park, and Navy Pier, while capping the day off with a boat tour of Lake Michigan and an Italian dinner.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Slammin' Sunday - Great Lakes Loons
- 5 First Inning Runs Not Enough as Beloit falls 8-6 to Dayton - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Fade Late in 7-2 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Herrera Collects Five Hits Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- 7 Heaven: Cougars Ride Big 7th, Score 7 - Kane County Cougars
- Under Hot Sun, 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Teng's 10 Strikeouts Not Enough Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Reed Earns Win in LumberKings Debut - Clinton LumberKings
- Comeback Caps Stun Bees Again - Lake County Captains
- Danner Dinger Backs Nuts' Five-Hit Shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: July 17-22 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Top Cubs 6-4 to Force Rubber Game - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Take Two From Timber Rattlers on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods cruise to 8-2 victory over the Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Manzanero's 3-Run Triple Caps Dragons Largest Comeback of 2019 in 8-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Fourth Inning Frenzy Pushes Bandits to Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Hold Off Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 14 at Clinton (Game 91) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Defeat Bees 3-2 in Extra Innings - Burlington Bees
- Spencer Steer joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Can't Tame Lipcius, Whitecaps - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Fall to 'Kings in Road Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Fort Wayne TinCaps Stories
- Parkview Field to Further Expand Protective Netting
- TinCaps Release 2020 Promotional Schedule
- Drew Brees to Headline "Night of Hope 2020" with Fellowship of Christian Athletes
- TinCaps Holding National Anthem Auditions for 2020 Season
- TinCaps Announce Day of the Week Promotions for 2020