Teng's 10 Strikeouts Not Enough Sunday
CEDAR RAPIDS, IOWA - Kai-Wei Teng tallied a career-high 10 strikeouts Sunday afternoon for the Cedar Rapids Kernels, but two runs yielded by the bullpen allowed the Lansing Lugnuts to come away with a 2-0 shutout in front of 2,477 fans at Perfect Game Field at Veterans Memorial Stadium. Cedar Rapids (13-10, 52-41) will play Lansing (13-10, 45-47) Monday at 12:05 p.m. in the rubber game of this three-game series.
Teng, who now owns quality starts in each of his last five starting assignments, kept the Lugnuts scoreless through six total innings. He posted at least one strikeout within every frame and induced an inning-ending force out in the sixth to escape a bases-loaded jam.
Eric Pardinho matched zeroes with Teng over five innings of work. He left runners stranded at third base in the first and third innings in his closest calls. Pardinho ended his start with nine outs in a row featuring four consecutive strikeouts at one point within that stretch.
Hagen Danner lifted Lansing to its winning margin of 2-0 during the seventh inning. Hunter Steinmetz hit a leadoff triple, and Danner followed with a two-run home run to center field. He leads the Lugnuts with 12 round-trippers overall this season.
Fitz Stadler (2-5) and Cre Finfrock combined for scoreless relief to secure the win and the save, respectively. Stadler tossed three shutout frames for his first victory since his Midwest League debut April 8 against the West Michigan Whitecaps. Despite walking back-to-back batters, Finfrock responded with a double play and groundout for his 11th save in as many chances.
J.T. Perez (1-1) gave up Danner's decisive blast and took the loss Sunday. Perez allowed two runs and two hits in his only inning of relief.
This six-game homestand wraps up Monday as right-hander Austin Schulfer (6-4, 2.62) and the Kernels host right-hander Troy Miller (3-3, 4.40) and the Lugnuts. First pitch is scheduled for 12:05 p.m., and online coverage with Chris Kleinhans-Schulz can be accessed at www.kmryradio.com, www.kernels.com, and MiLB.TV.
KCRG Weather Academy Day features special displays and demonstrations from the KCRG First Alert Weather Team. Mark Down Monday offers include regular hot dogs for $1.50 apiece and small popcorn, ice cream sandwiches, and chips for $1.00 each. The Noon Game Combo Special, consisting of a regular sandwich, a choice of chips or popcorn, and a 16 oz. regular draft beer or 20 oz. bottled soda or water, will be available for just $8.50.
Fans can purchase tickets for all Cedar Rapids Kernels home games by visiting www.kernels.com, going to the Kernels Ticket Office, or calling (319) 896-7560. The Kernels Ticket Office is open from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Monday through Friday and from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. on Saturdays. On Sundays when the Kernels have a home game, the Kernels Ticket Office will open at 11:00 a.m.
• Discuss this story on the Midwest League message board...
Midwest League Stories from July 14, 2019
- Slammin' Sunday - Great Lakes Loons
- 5 First Inning Runs Not Enough as Beloit falls 8-6 to Dayton - Beloit Snappers
- Whitecaps Fade Late in 7-2 Loss - West Michigan Whitecaps
- Herrera Collects Five Hits Sunday - Peoria Chiefs
- 7 Heaven: Cougars Ride Big 7th, Score 7 - Kane County Cougars
- Under Hot Sun, 'Caps Lose - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Teng's 10 Strikeouts Not Enough Sunday - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Reed Earns Win in LumberKings Debut - Clinton LumberKings
- Comeback Caps Stun Bees Again - Lake County Captains
- Danner Dinger Backs Nuts' Five-Hit Shutout - Lansing Lugnuts
- Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Homestand Highlights: July 17-22 - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- River Bandits Top Cubs 6-4 to Force Rubber Game - South Bend Cubs
- Hot Rods Take Two From Timber Rattlers on Sunday Afternoon - Bowling Green Hot Rods
- Hot Rods cruise to 8-2 victory over the Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- Manzanero's 3-Run Triple Caps Dragons Largest Comeback of 2019 in 8-6 Win - Dayton Dragons
- Fourth Inning Frenzy Pushes Bandits to Victory - Quad Cities River Bandits
- Hot Rods Hold Off Timber Rattlers - Wisconsin Timber Rattlers
- TinCaps Game Notes: July 14 at Clinton (Game 91) - Fort Wayne TinCaps
- Captains Defeat Bees 3-2 in Extra Innings - Burlington Bees
- Spencer Steer joins Kernels from Elizabethton - Cedar Rapids Kernels
- Dragons Notes for Sunday - Dayton Dragons
- Cougars Can't Tame Lipcius, Whitecaps - Kane County Cougars
- 'Caps Fall to 'Kings in Road Series Opener - Fort Wayne TinCaps
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.