Trenton Rally Tops RubberDucks
The Akron RubberDucks offense exploded in the early innings with two two-run homers, but that was not enough to hold off the potent Trenton Thunder offense as they defeated the Ducks, 6-5, Thursday night at Canal Park.
Despite falling behind 5-0, Trenton thundered back with three runs in the fifth inning behind back-to-back singles to start the inning from Kyle Holder and Wendell Rijo. Then, Chris Gittens would drive in Kyle Holder on an RBI groundout to short, before Rashad Crawford hit a two-run bomb to center field, putting Trenton ahead by a final score of 6-5.
Akron RubberDucks starter Tanner Tully worked two scoreless frames through the first two innings but ran into trouble in the third when the Thunder offense touched him for three runs. Brandon Wagner led off the inning with a solo homer to right, and then a rally began with back-to-back singles from Matt Lipka and Kyle Holder. Lipka would come around to score on an Akron throwing error and then Kyle Holder scored on a Chris Gittens single to center field to make the score 5-3 in favor of Akron. The fifth inning would again doom the Ducks as Kyle Holder and Wendell Rijo reached base safely on back-to-back singles, then Chris Gittens' RBI groundout scored Kyle Holder to make it 5-4 Akron, but Rashad Crawford's two-run blast over the center field fence off Tanner Tully would give the Thunder the 6-5 lead and chase Tully out of the game.
The RubberDucks offense jumped on Trenton pitching from the very first inning. After Trenton Brooks' two-run shot in the first inning, Gianpaul Gonzalez doubled home Mitch Longo who led off the bottom of the second with a single to center field to extend the lead to 3-0. Alex Call would then notch the RubberDucks' second home run of the game over the left field First Energy Power Alley to make the score 5-0.
Alex Call's two-run jack in the bottom of the second inning marked his first home run at Canal Park this season; Call has had much more success on the road, posting four of his five home runs away from Canal Park ... With two home runs tonight ... After posting a solid 3-for-4 night, Connor Marabell now has seven multi-hit games and eight RBI over his past 12 games and leads the RubberDucks in at-bats, hits (114), total bases (163), runs (51), and RBI (50) ... With his home run in the bottom of the first inning, Trenton Brooks now leads the Eastern League in extra-base hits since the All-Star break with 19 (14 doubles, one triple and four home runs)... Time of Game: 2:56... Attendance: 5,293
On the Pond
The RubberDucks now hit the road for a short, three-game trip to Erie, beginning at 7:05 p.m. on Friday night. The game will be broadcast on Fox Sports 1350 AM, the WARF iHeart channel, and the TuneIn Radio App. RHP Eli Morgan (6-2, 3.42) will take the ball against LHP Joey Wentz (1-0, 2.70) in the series opener at UPMC Park.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 15, 2019
- SeaWolves 1-hit Fightins in 1-0 shutout - Reading Fightin Phils
- Manning, Bullpen Combine on One-Hit Shutout - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Complete 4-3 Comeback Win - Bowie Baysox
- Crawford and Wagner Lead Rubber Match Victory over 'Ducks - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels Fall Short in One-Run Loss to Baysox - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Trenton Rally Tops RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Harrisburg Wins Series Finale, 12-1 - Altoona Curve
- Madden Smacks Fourth Homer in 5-3 Loss at Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Blow out Curve Early - Harrisburg Senators
- Goats Take Bite out of Dogs to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Ponies Silenced by Fisher Cats as Rain Shortens Series Finale - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup vs. Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Four Firework Shows, '79 Pirates Celebration up Next at PNG Field - Altoona Curve
- Baysox Release 2020 Schedule - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Host Future Red Sox in Manchester this Weekend - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #121: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (25-31, 60-60) vs. New Hampshire Fisher Cats (22-32, 53-68) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 15th at Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Are Back Home Beginning Friday for Six-Game Homestand - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Goats Steal a Split - Hartford Yard Goats
- 'Dogs and Yard Goats Split a Twinbill on Wednesday - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves win series with 5-4 comeback in 10 - Reading Fightin Phils
- First Place SeaWolves Walk-Off in Extras - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Akron RubberDucks Stories
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Third "Swing for Your Swag" Event Sunday, September 20
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Second Movie Night September 18 Featuring Black Panther
- Akron RubberDucks to Host First Movie Night of 2020 at Canal Park September 5
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Women in Sports Panel September 2
- Akron RubberDucks to Host Second "Swing for Your Swag" Event August 28