Goats Take Bite out of Dogs to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive
HARTFORD - Mylz Jones's two-run homer in the second and stellar pitching by the bullpen, lifted the Hartford Yard Goats to a 5-3 win over the Portland Sea Dogs, 5-3, Thursday night, before a standing-room-only crowd of 6,850 at Dunkin' Donuts Park. Hartford (25-28) took three of four from the Sea Dogs and captured the season series against the Red Sox affiliate 12-6. With first place Reading losing, the Yard Goats kept their playoff hopes alive, pulling to within six games with 15 to play. Portland remains 4 1/2 games back.
It was the 43rd sellout of the season and 21st consecutive sellout at Dunkin' Donuts Park. Hartford, which has played to 25 capacity crowds, has drawn 361,756 fans to lead the Eastern League in attendance.
The Yard Goats took a lead they never relinquished with three runs in the third against Portland starter Denyi Reyes. Jones cranked a two-run homer into the left-field seats, his sixth of the year. Later in the frame, Manny Melendez delivered Carlos Herrera, who had reached on a double, with a single to left.
Portland (27-27) touched reliever Alexander Guillen for a run in the fifth on Charlie Madden's home run. Guillen took over for starter Jack Wynkoop, who was removed after three scoreless innings for an undisclosed injury.
With the bases loaded in the fifth inning, Reyes hit Brian Serven with a pitch to give Hartford a 4-1 lead, but the Dogs took a bite out of the advantage with two in the sixth off of reliever Justin Lawrence on Madden's sacrifice fly and an RBI-single by Nick Lovullo. Hartford tacked on a run in the seventh on an RBI fielder's choice grounder by Colton Welker.
Southpaw Mitch Horacek improved to 4-0, retiring six of the seven batters he faced. Scott Griggs nailed down his 12th save, inducing pinch hitter Jerry Downs to hit into a game-ending 5-4-3 double play.
Vizcaino had a single, double and two runs scored for the Yard Goats, while Jones added a two-run homer. Madden had a home run and two RBI, while Jarren Duran added two hits for Portland.
Reyes, who had pitched six or more innings in 14 straight starts, lasted five innings. He allowed four runs on six hits, walked one and struck out two, as he dropped to 7-10.
Hartford has won four of their last five series and finish the home stand, 5-2.
The Yard Goats launch a six-game road trip at Binghamton Friday at 7:05 PM. RHP Matt Dennis will pitch for Hartford against righty Tommy Wilson for the Mets' affiliate. The game will be broadcast on News Radio 1410 AM, on 100.9 FM and on the internet on newsradio1410.iheart.com. The Yard Goats return home to start their final home stand of the season on Aug. 22 against Reading at 7:05 p.m. The ZOOperstars will make their annual appearance at Dunkin' Donuts Part that night.
Portland 3-7-0Hartford 5-7-2
WP- Mitch Horacek (4-0)
LP- Denyi Reyes (7-10)
S- Scott Griggs (12)
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 15, 2019
- SeaWolves 1-hit Fightins in 1-0 shutout - Reading Fightin Phils
- Manning, Bullpen Combine on One-Hit Shutout - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Complete 4-3 Comeback Win - Bowie Baysox
- Crawford and Wagner Lead Rubber Match Victory over 'Ducks - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels Fall Short in One-Run Loss to Baysox - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Trenton Rally Tops RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Harrisburg Wins Series Finale, 12-1 - Altoona Curve
- Madden Smacks Fourth Homer in 5-3 Loss at Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Blow out Curve Early - Harrisburg Senators
- Goats Take Bite out of Dogs to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Ponies Silenced by Fisher Cats as Rain Shortens Series Finale - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup vs. Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Four Firework Shows, '79 Pirates Celebration up Next at PNG Field - Altoona Curve
- Baysox Release 2020 Schedule - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Host Future Red Sox in Manchester this Weekend - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #121: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (25-31, 60-60) vs. New Hampshire Fisher Cats (22-32, 53-68) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 15th at Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Are Back Home Beginning Friday for Six-Game Homestand - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Goats Steal a Split - Hartford Yard Goats
- 'Dogs and Yard Goats Split a Twinbill on Wednesday - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves win series with 5-4 comeback in 10 - Reading Fightin Phils
- First Place SeaWolves Walk-Off in Extras - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.