Crawford and Wagner Lead Rubber Match Victory over 'Ducks
AKRON, OH - Brandon Wagner and Rashad Crawford each homered as the Thunder overcame a five-run deficit after two innings to earn a 6-5 win over the Akron Rubberducks on Thursday night at Canal Park.
Akron used a two-run homer in the first inning by Trenton Brooks and a two-run blast from Alex Call in the second inning to build their lead to 5-0 against Rony Garcia. Garcia would settle in after issuing a walk to Nolan Jones in the second to retire 9-of-10 to finish his outing and give the Thunder offense a chance to rally.
After seeing the first six batters set down in order against Tanner Tully, Brandon Wagner awoke the Thunder offense with a massive solo homer into the second deck of the picnic area in right field in Akron. Matt Lipka bunted himself aboard later in the frame and Kyle Holder followed with a single to set up the Thunder for me. Wendell Rijo brought a run home on a throwing error by 3B Nolan Jones and Chris Gittens plated another with a single to make it 5-3.
In the fifth inning, the Thunder got back-to-back singles by Holder and Rijo to start a rally and Gittens drove in his second run with a groundout to short. After Isiah Gilliam struck out, Rashad Crawford cranked a two-run homer to center and take a 6-5 lead.
The Thunder accumulated six runs on ten hits across their at bats in the third, fourth and fifth innings against Tully.
James Reeves earned the win with 3.1 scoreless innings of relief allowing just three baserunners and striking out a pair. Reeves gave way to Brooks Kriske with two outs in the eighth inning and the right-hander would go on to record his 11th save of the campaign.
Holder, Crawford and Wagner recorded multi-hit games in the victory. Wagner recorded his first home run since July 4th against Hartford and his third three-hit game of the season in Thursday's win.
Your Thunder continue their road trip on Friday night at 7:15pm against the Reading Fightin Phils. RHP Clarke Schmidt (AA Debut) will start for the Thunder, RHP Spencer Howard (0-0, 1.93) will go for Reading. Pre-game coverage begins at 7:00pm on 920 AM The Jersey and online www.TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 15, 2019
- SeaWolves 1-hit Fightins in 1-0 shutout - Reading Fightin Phils
- Manning, Bullpen Combine on One-Hit Shutout - Erie SeaWolves
- Baysox Complete 4-3 Comeback Win - Bowie Baysox
- Crawford and Wagner Lead Rubber Match Victory over 'Ducks - Trenton Thunder
- Squirrels Fall Short in One-Run Loss to Baysox - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Trenton Rally Tops RubberDucks - Akron RubberDucks
- Harrisburg Wins Series Finale, 12-1 - Altoona Curve
- Madden Smacks Fourth Homer in 5-3 Loss at Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Blow out Curve Early - Harrisburg Senators
- Goats Take Bite out of Dogs to Keep Playoff Hopes Alive - Hartford Yard Goats
- Ponies Silenced by Fisher Cats as Rain Shortens Series Finale - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Harrisburg Senators Game Information & Starting Lineup vs. Altoona - Harrisburg Senators
- Erie SeaWolves vs. Reading Fightin Phils - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Four Firework Shows, '79 Pirates Celebration up Next at PNG Field - Altoona Curve
- Baysox Release 2020 Schedule - Bowie Baysox
- Fisher Cats Host Future Red Sox in Manchester this Weekend - New Hampshire Fisher Cats
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #121: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (25-31, 60-60) vs. New Hampshire Fisher Cats (22-32, 53-68) - 6:35PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 15th at Hartford - Portland Sea Dogs
- Flying Squirrels Are Back Home Beginning Friday for Six-Game Homestand - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Goats Steal a Split - Hartford Yard Goats
- 'Dogs and Yard Goats Split a Twinbill on Wednesday - Portland Sea Dogs
- SeaWolves win series with 5-4 comeback in 10 - Reading Fightin Phils
- First Place SeaWolves Walk-Off in Extras - Erie SeaWolves
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- River Fest Features New Food and Drink Items; Pork Roll Eating Championship Competitors Revealed
- Thunder Beat Bowie to Win League Title
- Hoy Steals Home Thunder Win, Take 2-1 Series Lead
- Thunder Fall to Baysox, Series Tied 1-1
- Thunder Bounce Back over Bowie for Game 1 Win