Timbers Fall 4-2 on the Road to Los Angeles FC
LOS ANGELES - The Portland Timbers fell 4-2 on the road to Los Angeles FC at Banc of California Stadium on Sunday night. Eryk Williamson scored for a second consecutive match, while Jeremy Ebobisse notched his fourth goal of the season, tying him for the team lead in 2020. Felipe Mora, Diego Valeri and Jorge Villafaña each tallied an assist in the match.
Williamson + Ebobisse
Williamson scored his second career goal in the match, scoring for a second straight match. Williamson is the fourth Timbers player to score in consecutive regular-season games in 2020, joining Ebobisse, Mora and Valeri. Ebobisse scored his fourth goal of the season, tying him for the club lead with Valeri. Notably, Ebobisse has scored four goals against LAFC in all competitions, which is the most against LAFC by any Portland player. It is also the most goals Ebobisse has scored against a single opponent.
Mora and Villafaña registered their first assists of the regular season in the match. With his assist, Mora has recorded a goal or an assist in four consecutive matches. The assist was the first of Mora's MLS career. Mora and Villafaña became the 10th and 11th players, respectively, to record an assist for Portland this season.
Valeri delivered his fourth assist of the season and the 85th assist of his MLS career in the game. In his career, Valeri has recorded 34 assists on the road, which is tied for the 10th-most in MLS history. In addition, Valeri has tallied a goal or an assist in each of his last four games, while also adding a goal or an assist in eight of his last 10 regular-season matches.
POR - Eryk Williamson (Felipe Mora, Diego Valeri), 25th minute: Mora played a quick pass to Williamson just inside the box. Williamson beat two LAFC defenders, cutting the ball back onto his left foot before converting from the center of the box.
LAFC - Mark-Anthony Kaye (Bradley Wright-Phillips, Brian RodrÃguez), 37th minute: Brian RodrÃguez delivered a corner kick into the middle of the box. Bradley Wright-Phillips flicked the ball on for Mark-Anthony Kaye, who delivered a close range strike at the back post.
LAFC - Diego Rossi (Brian RodrÃguez), 41st minute: RodrÃguez played a quick slip pass to Diego Rossi making run down the left side of the box. Rossi received the pass and curled his shot inside the right post.
LAFC - Bradley Wright-Phillips (Francisco Ginella), 45+1: Off a set piece, the ball took a deflection off the wall and landed for Francisco Ginella inside the box. Ginella slotted the ball to Wright-Phillips for the finish from the edge of the six-yard box.
POR - Jeremy Ebobisse (Jorge Villafaña), 45+2: On the quick restart, Villafaña played pinpoint pass from the far left wing to the center of the box for Jeremy Ebobisse, who sent a looping header over the outstretched arms of LAFC goalkeeper Pablo Sisniega.
LAFC - Danny Musovski (Mark-Anthony Kaye), 90+5: Kaye slotted a ball into space as Danny Musovski made a well-timed run in behind the Timbers backline. Musovski received the ball in space, dribbled into the box and sent his shot into the bottom right corner of the goal.
Eryk Williamson scored his second career goal in the match. Williamson has scored in consecutive matches.
Williamson is the fourth Timbers player to score in consecutive regular-season games this season, joining Felipe Mora, Jeremy Ebobisse and Diego Valeri.
Ebobisse scored his fourth goal of the season, tying him for the team lead with Valeri.
Ebobisse has scored 18 regular-season goals for Portland, which moves him into a tie for 13th place on the club's all-eras goal scoring chart.
Ebobisse has scored four goals against LAFC in all competitions. His four goals are the most by an Timbers player against LAFC. It is also the most goals Ebobisse has scored against any single opponent.
Valeri delivered his fourth assist of the season in the match.
With the assist, Valeri has tallied 85 assist for his MLS career with 34 of those assists coming on the road. His 34 assists are tied for 10th-most in MLS history.
Valeri has tallied a goal or an assist in four straight matches. He also has a goal or an assist in eight of his last 10 regular-season matches for the club.
Felipe Mora notched his first MLS assist in the match. Mora is the 62nd different player to record an assist for the Timbers in an MLS match.
Jorge Villafaña delivered his first assist of the 2020 regular season.
Villafaña has tallied 14 assists in his Timbers career, which ties him for 15th place on the club's all-eras assists chart with Fanendo Adi, Brian Gant and Stuart Lee.
During the match, goalkeeper Steve Clark recorded the 500th save of his MLS career. Clark is the 24th player in MLS history to reach 500 saves.
Facing a quick turnaround, the Timbers play the first of back-to-back road matches against the San Jose Earthquakes, starting on Wednesday, Sept. 16, at Earthquakes Stadium; kickoff is set for 6:30 p.m. (Pacific). The Sept. 16 match features a national television broadcast on FS1 with local radio broadcast on 750 The Game (English) and La GranD 1150AM/93.5 FM (Spanish).
Los Angeles FC (4-4-3, 15pts) vs. Portland Timbers (4-4-2, 14pts)
Sept. 13, 2020 - Banc of California Stadium (Los Angeles, Calif.)
Goals by Half 1 2 F
Los Angeles FC 3 1 4
Portland Timbers 2 0 2
POR: Williamson (Mora, Valeri), 25
LAFC: Kaye (Wright-Phillips, RodrÃguez), 37
LAFC: Rossi (RodrÃguez), 41
LAFC: Wright-Phillips (Ginella), 45+1
POR: Ebobisse (Villafaña), 45+2
LAFC: Musovski (Kaye), 90+5
POR: Bonilla (caution), 71
LAFC: Cifuentes (caution), 83
POR: GK Clark, D Duvall (Bonilla, 46), D Cascante, D Zuparic, D Villafaña, M Williamson, M, Paredes, M LorÃa (Y. Chara, 46), M Valeri © (Polo, 85), M Ebobisse, F Mora (Niezgoda, 68)
Substitutes Not Used: GK Attinella, D Farfan, D, McGraw, D, Tuiloma, M Zambrano
TOTAL SHOTS: 10 (Ebobisse, Valeri, 3); SHOTS ON GOAL: 5 (Zuparic, 2); FOULS: 8 (Paredes, 2); OFFSIDES: 1; CORNER KICKS: 2; SAVES: 2
SEA: GK Sisniega, D Blessing, D Jakovic, D Segura, D Palacios, M Ginella (Najar, 65), M Cifuente, M Kaye, F RodrÃguez (Atuesta, 80), F Wright-Phillips (Musovski, 80), F Rossi ©
Substitutes Not Used: GK Vermeer, D Harvey, M Duke, M El-Munir, F Pérez, F Torres
TOTAL SHOTS: 14 (Cifuentes, 4); SHOTS ON GOAL: 6 (Wright-Phillips, 2); FOULS: 17 (Three players tied with 3); OFFSIDES: 3; CORNER KICKS: 7; SAVES: 2
Referee: Jair Marrufo
Assistant Referees: Corey Rockwell, Jason White
Fourth Official: Victor Rivas
VAR: Alejandro Mariscal
Weather: Clear, 72 degrees
All statistics contained in this box score are unofficial
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 14, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Broadcast Schedule Through September - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastian Blanco Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Head Coach Gary Smith and Midfielder Dax McCarty Named to MLS Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 16, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Announce Update to Academy Programming - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Rubio, Abubakar & Namli Named to MLS Team of the Week Presented by Audi - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announces Phase 2 Broadcast Schedule - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Offense Comes to Life in 4-2 Win over Atlanta United FC - Nashville SC
- Youth on Display in Dominant Win over RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Acquires Tony Gallacher on Loan - Toronto FC
- LAFC Defeats Portland Timbers 4-2 Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes shutout California Clasico rival - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Fall 4-2 on the Road to Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, San Jose Earthquakes 0 - Sunday, September 13, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Impact Build Big Lead, Tops Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- 'Caps fall short after both sides reduced to 10 men - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting Reclaims First Place in 1-0 Win over Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Falls 1-0 at Sporting KC - Minnesota United FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Portland Timbers Stories
- Timbers, Seattle Battle to 1-1 Draw at Centurylink Field Thursday Night
- Timbers Travel to Face Seattle Sounders FC Tonight at CenturyLink Field
- Timbers, Los Angeles FC Play to 1-1 Draw at Providence Park
- Timbers Play Host to Los Angeles FC Tonight at Providence Park
- Timbers Fall 2-1 on the Road to Real Salt Lake