LAFC Defeats Portland Timbers 4-2 Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium
The Los Angeles Football Club (LAFC) defeated the Portland Timbers 4-2 Sunday night at Banc of California Stadium.
Both sides struggled early in the match, until Portland's Eryk Williamson found himself unmarked in LAFC's box for an easy finish to open the scoring in the 25th minute. As the first half progressed, so too did the goal scoring, with LAFC adding their first in the 37th minute when Mark-Anthony Kaye flicked in a corner.
LAFC continued to add to the scoreline in the 41st minute and extra-time on goals by Diego Rossi and Bradley Wright-Phillips, respectively. The Timbers then got one score back on a Jeremy Ebobisse header before the referee's final whistle ended the first 90 minutes.
In the second half, the waning minutes produced frantic action that ultimately led to an LAFC goal to seal the victory by Danny Musovski in extra time.
With the win, LAFC moves to 4th place in the Western Conference with a 4-4-3 record (15 points). Next up for the Black & Gold is Seattle Sounders FC on Friday, September 18 at 7:00 p.m. PT at CenturyLink Field (YouTube TV, Estrella TV, ESPN LA 710, ESPN App, 980 AM).
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 14, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Broadcast Schedule Through September - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastian Blanco Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Head Coach Gary Smith and Midfielder Dax McCarty Named to MLS Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 16, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Announce Update to Academy Programming - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Rubio, Abubakar & Namli Named to MLS Team of the Week Presented by Audi - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announces Phase 2 Broadcast Schedule - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Offense Comes to Life in 4-2 Win over Atlanta United FC - Nashville SC
- Youth on Display in Dominant Win over RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Acquires Tony Gallacher on Loan - Toronto FC
- LAFC Defeats Portland Timbers 4-2 Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes shutout California Clasico rival - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Fall 4-2 on the Road to Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, San Jose Earthquakes 0 - Sunday, September 13, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Impact Build Big Lead, Tops Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- 'Caps fall short after both sides reduced to 10 men - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting Reclaims First Place in 1-0 Win over Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Falls 1-0 at Sporting KC - Minnesota United FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Los Angeles FC Stories
- LAFC Defeats Houston Dynamo 2-1 on Wednesday Night at Banc of California Stadium
- LAFC Statement on Positive Covid-19 Case
- LAFC Faces the Houston Dynamo Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium
- LAFC Defeats Rival LA Galaxy 2-0 on Sunday at Banc of California Stadium
- LAFC Faces Rival LA Galaxy Tomorrow at Banc of California Stadium