Impact Build Big Lead, Tops Vancouver
VANCOUVER, British Columbia - The Montreal Impact won 4-2 against the Vancouver Whitecaps FC on Sunday night, at BC Place, in Vancouver. Orji Okwonkwo, Saphir TaÃ¯der, Samuel Piette and Romell Quioto scored. The Montreal Impact will play its next game on Wednesday, September 16, at 9:30pm EDT (TVA Sports, TSN, 98,5, TSN 690), again at BC Place, in Vancouver.
The Impact is now three points behind the first place and Toronto FC in the standings to reach the Canadian Championship final. A win in the next game against Vancouver will qualify the Impact for the final.
It was the Impact's 100th win in MLS regular season.
With these three points, the Impact is 5th in the Eastern Conference with 16 points, tied with NYCFC.
Samuel Piette scored his first Impact goal in his 79th MLS game.
With his 4th goal of the season, Saphir TaÃ¯der became the fourth Impact player to score 20 goals in MLS and the 10th in the club's history to reach this mark. TaÃ¯der also got his 19th and 20th assists with the Impact.
TaÃ¯der scored his 3rd penalty goal this season, his 10th in as many attempts with the Impact (all competitions).
VAN - Theo Blair (Milinkovic, Baldisimo) 7'
MTL - Orji Okwonkwo (TaÃ¯der) 15'
MTL - Saphir TaÃ¯der (PK) 45'+1'
MTL - Samuel Piette (TaÃ¯der, Okwonkwo) 51'
MTL - Romell Quioto (Piette, Brault-Guillard) 60'
VAN - Rudy Camacho (OG) 66'
VAN - Lucas Cavallini 24'
MTL - Luis Binks 59'
VAN - Cristian Dajome 69'
VAN - Michael Baldisimo 74'
VAN - Lucas Cavallini 59'
MTL - Emanuel Maciel 72'
MTL - Gk-Clément Diop; D-Jukka Raitala, Luis Binks, Rudy Camacho, Zachary Brault-Guillard; M-Samuel Piette, Victor Wanyama, Saphir TaÃ¯der, Emamuel Maciel, Orji Okwonkwo (Shamit Shome 90'); F-Romell Quioto (Lassi Lappalainen 86')
Subs not used: Evan Bush, Joel Waterman, Jorge Corrales, Karifa Yao, Rod Fanni, Amar Sejdic, Bojan
VAN - Gk-Thomas Hasal; D-Ali Adnan (Cristian Gutiérrez 55'), Andy Rose, Derek Cornelius, Ãrik Godoy (Jake Nerwinski 55'); M-David Milinkovic (Yordy Reyna 73'), Leonard Owusu (Cristian Dajome 55'), Michael Baldisimo, Russell Teibert; F-Lucas Cavallini, Theo Blair (Fredy Montero 55')
Subs not used: Bryan Meredith, Ranko Veselinovic, Patrick Metcalfe, Ryan Raposo
"We reacted great. After a tough start, we started to apply our structure, but more importantly, we scored goals. It became a bit of a weird game in the last 20 minutes, but it isn't easy to come here and do what we've done, so we're happy with it. We scored four away goals, but it will be a different game on Wednesday."
"Samuel has been comfortable in that role for a while now. He finds himself in good situations. I knew it was going to come sooner or later."
"It feels good to score my first MLS goal in a winning situation. It was a good night for me, but mostly for the team. In a more offensive role, you have to try to contribute to the score sheet. It's a role in which I'm more comfortable and with the quality of the players around me, it's easy to shine."
"We controlled the game. We created many chances. We deserved this result. In the next game, we will try to attack to win and to avoid conceding goals."
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 14, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Broadcast Schedule Through September - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastian Blanco Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Head Coach Gary Smith and Midfielder Dax McCarty Named to MLS Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 16, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Announce Update to Academy Programming - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Rubio, Abubakar & Namli Named to MLS Team of the Week Presented by Audi - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announces Phase 2 Broadcast Schedule - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Offense Comes to Life in 4-2 Win over Atlanta United FC - Nashville SC
- Youth on Display in Dominant Win over RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Acquires Tony Gallacher on Loan - Toronto FC
- LAFC Defeats Portland Timbers 4-2 Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes shutout California Clasico rival - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Fall 4-2 on the Road to Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, San Jose Earthquakes 0 - Sunday, September 13, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Impact Build Big Lead, Tops Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- 'Caps fall short after both sides reduced to 10 men - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting Reclaims First Place in 1-0 Win over Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Falls 1-0 at Sporting KC - Minnesota United FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.