FC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 16, 2020
While every team has had an unusual 2020, FC Dallas may be the leaders in the clubhouse for the most unusual.
The MLS original picked up points in the first two matches of the year before being unable to compete in the MLS is Back Tournament. Due to not competing in Orlando, Dallas then played two matches against Nashville SC in mid-August to help both teams catch up with the rest of the league.
This led to a slow restart for FC Dallas. They didn't score a goal until their fourth return to play match but still managed to gain two points, through 0-0 draws.
Now that they've shrugged off their summer slump, they've scored in four straight matches and tallied 7 points in that stretch. Just as the Rapids on Saturday picked up a major rivalry victory, so did FC Dallas; Dallas dispatched the Houston Dynamo 2-1 at home with a 61st minute game-winner from Designated Player Franco Jara.
But even with the good news of points in the bag, Dallas has had to adapt to ongoing changes to its roster.
One of the most exciting young prospects, Homegrown Paxton Pomykal, has been sidelined for six months after successful knee surgery. On top of an injury to one Homegrown, FC Dallas transferred Homegrown Reggie Cannon to Portuegese side Boavista FC. The most recent roster evolution saw forward ZdenÄk OndrÃ¡Å¡ek transferred to the Czech First League with FC Viktoria PlzeÅ.
Are we all caught up on FC Dallas' 2020 so far? Ok, good, onto the match. Three keys:
1. Keep an eye on forward Franco Jara.
His match-winning goal against the Dynamo was his second of 2020 and, without OndrÃ¡Å¡ek to spell him, the pressure will be on the first-year DP to tally goals in bunches. The Rapids defense hasn't conceded multiple goals in a match in nearly a month and just kept their first clean sheet of 2020 last game.
2. Welcome Andrés Ricaurte to MLS.
FC Dallas' new #10 made his first start and scored his first goal on Saturday after being acquired on loan from Columbia's Independiente MedellÃn through 2021. Whether it's Jack Price or Collen Warner in front of the backline, it will be a team effort to contain the new guy and prevent him from connecting the midfield to the attack.
3. Keep the foot on the gas.
Saturday's Rocky Mountain Cup match saw the Rapids scoring throughout - at the beginning of the match, just after halftime and at the end of the match. Meanwhile, FC Dallas hasn't kept a clean sheet since August 21st. The Rapids' confidence should be at a crest. This is one of those times where playing just a couple days after the previous match could work in our favor. Everybody will be champing at the bit to get back out there and get involved; The Rapids are tied with Minnesota United FC in the Western Conference with 10 different goalscorers in 2020.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 14, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Broadcast Schedule Through September - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastian Blanco Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Head Coach Gary Smith and Midfielder Dax McCarty Named to MLS Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 16, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Announce Update to Academy Programming - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Rubio, Abubakar & Namli Named to MLS Team of the Week Presented by Audi - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announces Phase 2 Broadcast Schedule - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Offense Comes to Life in 4-2 Win over Atlanta United FC - Nashville SC
- Youth on Display in Dominant Win over RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Acquires Tony Gallacher on Loan - Toronto FC
- LAFC Defeats Portland Timbers 4-2 Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes shutout California Clasico rival - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Fall 4-2 on the Road to Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, San Jose Earthquakes 0 - Sunday, September 13, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Impact Build Big Lead, Tops Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- 'Caps fall short after both sides reduced to 10 men - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting Reclaims First Place in 1-0 Win over Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Falls 1-0 at Sporting KC - Minnesota United FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Second Half Woes Sink Rapids
- Sporting Kansas City vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: October 24, 2020
- Sporting Kansas City vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: October 24, 2020
- Homegrowns Cole Bassett, Sam Vines Leading the Way for Colorado
- Rapids Rely on Resiliency as Team Heads into Final Regular Season Stretch