'Caps fall short after both sides reduced to 10 men
VANCOUVER, BC - Vancouver Whitecaps FC fell 4-2 against Canadian rivals Montreal Impact in a testy affair that saw both clubs reduced to 10 men at BC Place on Sunday evening.
The 'Caps started off the match hot with a perfectly-weighted David MilinkoviÄ through ball to a streaking Theo Bair down the right side of the pitch. Bair dribbled forward into the right of the box, besting two defenders and shot a low ball from a tight angle into the bottom left corner of the net to beat out Clément Diop to the far post in the seventh minute. Bair's first goal of the season put Vancouver up early but that lead was short-lived as Montreal responded with an Orji Okwonkwo goal in the eight minutes later.
The remainder of the first half was marked by a back-and-forth style of play as Vancouver and Montreal combined for 15 shots with the Impact going ahead right before the halftime whistle. Goalkeeper Thomas Hasal's reaching hands clipped Romell Quioto in the box in added time, leading to a Saphir TaÃ¯der penalty shot to put the Impact up 2-1 at the half.
The following half proved difficult for Vancouver as Lucas Cavallini was ejected from the game for a second yellow card in the 57th minute and Montreal padded their lead with two goals in the 51st and 60th minutes via a pair of Samuel Piette and Romell Quioto tap-ins. That wouldn't stop the 'Caps from fighting, however, as Vancouver claimed a late goal in the 66th minute from a driven cross in from CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez on the left side of the pitch that deflected off the foot of Montreal's Rudy Camacho for an own goal.
The two sides played the final 18 minutes of regulation with 10 men each after Emanuel Maciel was ejected with a straight red card.
The 'Caps and Impact meet again on Wednesday, September 16 to round out the Canadian phase of the MLS continuation of play. Kickoff at BC Place is set for 6:30 p.m. PT live on TSN1 and TSN Radio 1040.
Stay tuned to whitecapsfc.com for the latest news and updates.
VWFC Man of the Match: David MilinkoviÄ
Referee: Pierre-Luc Lauziere
7' - VAN - Theo Bair (David MilinkoviÄ, Michael Baldisimo)
15' - MTL - Orji Okwonkwo (Saphir Taider)
45'+1' - MTL - Saphir Taider (penalty kick)
51' - MTL - Samuel Piette (Saphir Taider, Orji Okwonkwo)
60' - MTL - Rommell Quioto (Samuel Piette, Zachary Brault-Guillard)
66' - VAN - Rudy Camacho (own goal)
Possession: VAN 47.6% - MTL 52.4%
Shots: VAN 13 - MTL 18
Shots on Goal: VAN 6 - MTL 7
Saves: VAN 3 - MTL 4
Fouls: VAN 18 - MTL 16
Offsides: VAN 1 - MTL 1
Corners: VAN 6 - MTL 4
24' - VAN - Lucas Cavallini
57' - VAN - Lucas Cavallini
59' - MTL - Luis Binks
67' - VAN - Cristian DÃ¡jome
74' - VAN - Michael Baldisimo
86' - VAN - Fredy Montero
57' - VAN - Lucas Cavallini
72' - MTL - Emanuel Maciel
Vancouver Whitecaps FC
51.Thomas Hasal; 22.Ãrik Godoy (28.Jake Nerwinski 55'), 15.Andy Rose, 13.Derek Cornelius, 53.Ali Adnan (3.CristiÃ¡n Gutiérrez 55'); 17.Leonard Owusu (11.Cristian DÃ¡jome 55'), 55.Michael Baldisimo, 31.Russell Teibert ©; 7.David MilinkoviÄ (29.Yordy Reyna 73'); 14.Theo Bair (12.Fredy Montero 55'), 9.Lucas Cavallini
Substitutes not used
1.Bryan Meredith, 4.Ranko VeselinoviÄ, 27.Ryan Raposo, 32.Patrick Metcalfe
23.Clément Diop; 15.Zachary Brault-Guillard, 4.Rudy Camacho, 5.Luis Binks, 22.Jukka Raitala ©; 2.Victor Wanyama, 25.Emanuel Maciel; 6.Samuel Piette, 8.Saphir Taider, 18.Orji Okwonkwo (28.Shamit Shome 90'); 30.Rommell Quioto (21.Lassi Lappalainen 86')
Substitutes not used
1.Evan Bush, 7.Rod Fanni, 9.Bojan, 14.Amar Sejdic, 16.Joel Waterman, 24.Karifa Yao, 26.Jorge Corrales
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 14, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Broadcast Schedule Through September - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastian Blanco Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Head Coach Gary Smith and Midfielder Dax McCarty Named to MLS Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 16, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Announce Update to Academy Programming - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Rubio, Abubakar & Namli Named to MLS Team of the Week Presented by Audi - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announces Phase 2 Broadcast Schedule - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Offense Comes to Life in 4-2 Win over Atlanta United FC - Nashville SC
- Youth on Display in Dominant Win over RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Acquires Tony Gallacher on Loan - Toronto FC
- LAFC Defeats Portland Timbers 4-2 Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes shutout California Clasico rival - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Fall 4-2 on the Road to Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, San Jose Earthquakes 0 - Sunday, September 13, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Impact Build Big Lead, Tops Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- 'Caps fall short after both sides reduced to 10 men - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting Reclaims First Place in 1-0 Win over Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Falls 1-0 at Sporting KC - Minnesota United FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Vancouver Whitecaps FC Stories
- 'Caps fall to Sounders in midweek tilt
- 'Caps rally behind Adnan, Ricketts goals for massive win
- Whitecaps FC's Nationwide Search for the ONe Commences on November 6
- 'Caps lose late to LA Galaxy on the road
- Whitecaps FC Acquire 2023 MLS SuperDraft First Round Pick from LAFC for 2020 International Roster Slot