Youth on Display in Dominant Win over RSL
Saturday night's Rocky Mountain Cup showdown had a little bit of everything.
There were goals (plenty of them), fancy footwork, and of course, the passion one would expect from a 15-year-old regional rivalry.
It also featured what's becoming a consistent trend for the Rapids this season: its young players playing a key role in the team's success.
Homegrown defender Sam Vines, 21, helped put the game away in the 49th minute after getting on the end of a low cross from Younes Namli to make the score 3-0. The goal, Vines' first in MLS, followed up on his midweek assist that helped the Rapids rally to a stoppage-time draw against the Houston Dynamo.
Six minutes later, Jonathan Lewis forced an RSL turnover that culminated with Homegrown midfielder Cole Bassett assisting 19-year-old Braian Galvan to his first Rapids goal-on his first touch of the game, no less.
Bassett, 19, would get on the scoresheet himself in the final minutes of the match after Jeremy Kelly, the Rapids' top pick in the 2020 MLS SuperDraft, weaved his way through several defenders and squared a low pass for the Littleton, Colorado, native to strike home. Bassett has now recorded two goals and three assists from six appearances this season, while Kelly notched his first MLS assist in just his third appearance as a pro.
With Vines' and Bassett's contributions, the 5-0 win over RSL marked the fourth consecutive match that a Rapids Homegrown Player has directly impacted the scoreline via a goal or an assist. If these performances are anything to go by, the future looks bright for the young Burgundy Boys.
The Rapids will look to keep the positive momentum from Saturday's result going when they travel to FC Dallas on Wednesday, September 16, for their fourth regular season match in a span of twelve days.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 14, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Broadcast Schedule Through September - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastian Blanco Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Head Coach Gary Smith and Midfielder Dax McCarty Named to MLS Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 16, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Announce Update to Academy Programming - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Rubio, Abubakar & Namli Named to MLS Team of the Week Presented by Audi - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announces Phase 2 Broadcast Schedule - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Offense Comes to Life in 4-2 Win over Atlanta United FC - Nashville SC
- Youth on Display in Dominant Win over RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Acquires Tony Gallacher on Loan - Toronto FC
- LAFC Defeats Portland Timbers 4-2 Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes shutout California Clasico rival - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Fall 4-2 on the Road to Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, San Jose Earthquakes 0 - Sunday, September 13, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Impact Build Big Lead, Tops Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- 'Caps fall short after both sides reduced to 10 men - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting Reclaims First Place in 1-0 Win over Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Falls 1-0 at Sporting KC - Minnesota United FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Colorado Rapids Stories
- Cole Bassett, Sam Vines & Kellyn Acosta Called up to USMNT December Camp
- In 2020, the Colorado Rapids Took Steps Toward Future Success
- Minnesota United FC Oust Colorado Rapids
- Minnesota United FC vs Colorado Rapids: Preview: November 22, 2020
- Rapids Look to Carry Momentum from Winning Streak into Audi 2020 MLS Cup Playoffs