Seattle Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week
September 14, 2020 - Major League Soccer (MLS) News Release
NEW YORK - Seattle Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris was voted the Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 11th week of the 2020 MLS season.
Morris powered Seattle to a dominant 7-1 victory over the San Jose Earthquakes on Thursday behind a goal and a career-high three assists. Morris now has six goals and five assists in the regular season, each mark tied for fourth-most in the league, while his combined 11 goals and assists are tied for second-most. Seattle sits in second place in the Western Conference standings with 18 points (5-2-3 overall record).
Seattle took an early 1-0 lead in the fourth minute when Morris dribbled the ball from the half-way line through a myriad of defenders and finished with a left-footed shot from the center of the box into the bottom left corner. Morris then registered his first assist of the match with a perfectly placed through ball to set up RaÃºl RuidÃaz's 33rd minute goal, giving the club a 5-0 lead. With the goal, Seattle tied the MLS record for the most goals ever in the first half (five) and set a record for the fastest in league history to reach that mark (33 minutes).
The 25-year-old Sounders FC academy product helped push Seattle's advantage to 6-0 with another assist on João Paulo's 48th minute goal (watch assist). Morris then recorded his third assist of the day on a fast break, finding an open Joevin Jones in the box to give Seattle a 7-0 lead in the 59th minute (watch assist).
Sounders FC continue action this week on Friday when hosting the Los Angeles Football Club at CenturyLink Field (10 p.m. ET, ESPN+).
The MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 14, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Broadcast Schedule Through September - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastian Blanco Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Head Coach Gary Smith and Midfielder Dax McCarty Named to MLS Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 16, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Announce Update to Academy Programming - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Rubio, Abubakar & Namli Named to MLS Team of the Week Presented by Audi - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announces Phase 2 Broadcast Schedule - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Offense Comes to Life in 4-2 Win over Atlanta United FC - Nashville SC
- Youth on Display in Dominant Win over RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Acquires Tony Gallacher on Loan - Toronto FC
- LAFC Defeats Portland Timbers 4-2 Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes shutout California Clasico rival - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Fall 4-2 on the Road to Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, San Jose Earthquakes 0 - Sunday, September 13, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Impact Build Big Lead, Tops Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- 'Caps fall short after both sides reduced to 10 men - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting Reclaims First Place in 1-0 Win over Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Falls 1-0 at Sporting KC - Minnesota United FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.