Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 14, 2020
The San Jose Earthquakes earned a point in a 0-0 draw against the LA Galaxy on Sunday night at Earthquakes Stadium, after falling 7-1 to Seattle Sounders FC on the road last Thursday. With Sunday's result, the Quakes snapped the Galaxy's four-match winning streak, the longest such streak in MLS entering Sunday.
The Earthquakes will now prepare to host the MLS is Back Tournament champion Portland Timbers twice this week: Wednesday, Sept. 16, presented Fastmetrics, and Saturday, Sept. 19, presented by Wells Fargo.
Wednesday's match is set for 6:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast nationally on FOX Sports 1, KNBR 1050 and 1370 KZSF. Saturday's game is slated for 7:30 p.m. PT and will be broadcast on NBC Sports California, KNBR 680 and 1370 KZSF.
Defend our Home
The Quakes have only lost one of their four matches at Earthquakes Stadium thus far in 2020.
Closing in on History
Shea Salinas is just one assist shy of tying Ronald Cerritos for most in club history (47).
NEXT GAMES VS. PORTLAND TIMBERS (9/16 AND 9/19)
Record vs. Portland Timbers
The Quakes currently hold a 5-11-7 record vs. the Portland Timbers in 23 MLS matches between the two sides, including a 5-2-4 record at home.
Used to Scoring
Forward Chris Wondolowski has scored 11 goals in 18 prior appearances against Portland, most by any player against the club in MLS history.
Strength in Numbers
San Jose carries a 4-1-0 record in their last five home meetings against Portland, outscoring them by seven goals (10-3).
Strong at Home
The Quakes chopped down the Timbers 3-0 in their last visit to Earthquakes Stadium on April 6, 2019.
The last time San Jose played the same team in back-to-back regular season matches in a single season was also against Portland during the 2014 MLS regular season on Oct. 4 (home) and Oct. 8 (road).
LAST WEEK VS. SEATTLE (9/10)
Forward Chris Wondolowski scored a penalty kick, his fourth goal of the season and 163rd of his MLS career, extending his own league record.
From the Spot
Wondolowski has now converted 27 of his 33 penalty kick attempts in regular season play. His goal was also his 12th all-time vs. Seattle, most against the club among all players in MLS history.
LAST WEEK VS. LA GALAXY (9/13)
The Quakes now hold a 4-2-2 record in their last eight meetings with the LA Galaxy.
Security in Goal
Goalkeeper Daniel Vega earned his third shutout of the season and 10th of his MLS career, becoming the fifth goalkeeper in Earthquakes history to reach double-digits.
Not so Fast
Sunday's result snapped a four-match winning streak for the Galaxy, who hadn't dropped points in a regular season contest since July 23.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 14, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Broadcast Schedule Through September - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastian Blanco Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Head Coach Gary Smith and Midfielder Dax McCarty Named to MLS Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 16, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Announce Update to Academy Programming - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Rubio, Abubakar & Namli Named to MLS Team of the Week Presented by Audi - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announces Phase 2 Broadcast Schedule - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Offense Comes to Life in 4-2 Win over Atlanta United FC - Nashville SC
- Youth on Display in Dominant Win over RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Acquires Tony Gallacher on Loan - Toronto FC
- LAFC Defeats Portland Timbers 4-2 Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes shutout California Clasico rival - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Fall 4-2 on the Road to Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, San Jose Earthquakes 0 - Sunday, September 13, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Impact Build Big Lead, Tops Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- 'Caps fall short after both sides reduced to 10 men - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting Reclaims First Place in 1-0 Win over Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Falls 1-0 at Sporting KC - Minnesota United FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent San Jose Earthquakes Stories
- Earthquakes Sign Shea Salinas to New Contract
- Earthquakes Goalkeeper JT Marcinkowski Added to USMNT Camp
- Earthquakes Midfielder Jackson Yueill Added to USMNT Camp
- Earthquakes Sign Tommy Thompson to New Multi-Year Contract
- Earthquakes Announce 2020 Club Award Winners