Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week
SEATTLE, WASH. - Sounders FC forward Jordan Morris has been voted Major League Soccer Player of the Week for the 11th week of the 2020 MLS season. Morris recorded a goal and three assists in a 7-1 win over the San Jose Earthquakes on Thursday at CenturyLink Field, as the Rave Green set a number of club single-match scoring records. This marks the second time this season that Morris has earned MLS Player of the Week honors, following his week one performance with both goals in a 2-1 season-opening win over Chicago Fire FC.
Morris earns MLS Player of the Week honors for the second time this season (Jane Gershovich / Sounders FC).
Morris powered Seattle to a dominant 7-1 victory over the San Jose Earthquakes on Thursday behind a goal and a career-high three assists, which tied a franchise single-match record. Morris now has six goals and five assists in the regular season, each mark tied for fourth-most in the league, while his combined 11 goals and assists are tied for second-most. Seattle sits in second place in the Western Conference standings with 18 points (5-2-3).
SEATTLE-SAN JOSE MATCH HIGHLIGHTS: https://sndrs.com/gxstd
Seattle took an early 1-0 lead in the fourth minute when Morris single-handedly dribbled from midfield through a myriad of defenders and finished with a left-footed shot, then registered his first assist 30 minutes later with a perfectly placed through ball to set up RaÃºl RuidÃaz. The 33rd-minute strike tied an MLS record with five goals in the first half, while setting a new mark record for the fastest to five goals in league history.
The 25-year-old Sounders FC academy product continued in the second half with an assist on João Paulo's 48th-minute goal. Morris then recorded his third assist by finding Joevin Jones with a chipped pass in the area to give Seattle a 7-0 lead in the 59th minute.
MLS Player of the Week is selected each week of the regular season through both media and fan voting in a process conducted by MLS Communications. A panel of journalists from the North American Soccer Reporters (NASR) comprises 75 percent of the vote, while a Twitter fan vote represents the remaining 25 percent of voting. NASR consists of members of print, television, radio and online media.
Sounders FC continues MLS regular season play with a home match on Friday, September 18 against Los Angeles FC. Kickoff is set for 7:00 p.m. PT at CenturyLink Field, with broadcast coverage on JOEtv, Amazon Prime Video, 950 KJR AM and El Rey 1360 AM.
• Discuss this story on the Major League Soccer message board...
Major League Soccer Stories from September 14, 2020
- Earthquakes Weekly Update: September 14, 2020 - San Jose Earthquakes
- Earthquakes Announce Broadcast Schedule Through September - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Midfielder Sebastian Blanco Undergoes Successful ACL Surgery - Portland Timbers
- Head Coach Gary Smith and Midfielder Dax McCarty Named to MLS Team of the Week - Nashville SC
- FC Dallas vs Colorado Rapids: Keys to the Match: September 16, 2020 - Colorado Rapids
- D.C. United Announce Update to Academy Programming - D.C. United
- Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - Seattle Sounders FC
- Seattle Sounders FC Forward Jordan Morris Voted MLS Player of the Week - MLS
- Rubio, Abubakar & Namli Named to MLS Team of the Week Presented by Audi - Colorado Rapids
- FC Dallas Announces Phase 2 Broadcast Schedule - FC Dallas
- Sporting KC Weekly - Sporting Kansas City
- Nashville SC Offense Comes to Life in 4-2 Win over Atlanta United FC - Nashville SC
- Youth on Display in Dominant Win over RSL - Colorado Rapids
- Toronto FC Acquires Tony Gallacher on Loan - Toronto FC
- LAFC Defeats Portland Timbers 4-2 Sunday Night at Banc of California Stadium - Los Angeles FC
- Quakes shutout California Clasico rival - San Jose Earthquakes
- Timbers Fall 4-2 on the Road to Los Angeles FC - Portland Timbers
- LA Galaxy Postgame Notes and Quotes: LA Galaxy 0, San Jose Earthquakes 0 - Sunday, September 13, 2020 - LA Galaxy
- Impact Build Big Lead, Tops Vancouver - Montreal Impact
- 'Caps fall short after both sides reduced to 10 men - Vancouver Whitecaps FC
- Sporting Reclaims First Place in 1-0 Win over Minnesota - Sporting Kansas City
- MNUFC Falls 1-0 at Sporting KC - Minnesota United FC
- Weekly Sports League and Franchise Report - OSC Original by Dan Krieger
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Seattle Sounders FC Stories
- Sounders FC Advances to MLS Western Conference Championship with 1-0 Win over FC Dallas
- Civic Activations Continue in Seattle Area as Sounders FC Hosts FC Dallas in Western Conference Semifinal Tonight
- Sounders FC Joins Washington Employers for Racial Equity Coalition
- Game Notes: Sounders FC vs. FC Dallas - December 1, 2020 - Audi MLS Cup Playoffs
- Sounders FC Advances Past LAFC with 3-1 Victory in Audi MLS Cup Playoffs