Thunder Can't Corner 'Cats, Fall 1-0
The Thunder were shut, 1-0, by four New Hampshire pitchers on Monday night at ARM & HAMMER Park.
The loss was just ninth of the shutout variety for the Thunder (30-29, 68-57), who went 0-for-5 with runners in scoring position and left eight runners stranded.
Fisher Cats (26-33, 57-69) left-hander Zach Logue allowed just one baserunner over two innings in his first start since being activated from the injured list before yielding to right-hander Joey Murray (2-2), who stymied the Thunder over five and two-thirds innings, striking out six.
Trevor Stephan struck out seven batters over four-plus innings but left in the top of the fifth with an apparent injury after unsuccessfully trying to field a bunt by Logan Warmoth. James Reeves tossed two scoreless frames in relief, and the game remained scoreless through six innings.
In the seventh, Greg Weissert (1-1) took over on the mound for the Thunder and struck out the first two batters of the inning. The right-hander then issued a two-out walk to Alberto Mineo, who scored when Cullen Large tripled into the left field corner.
Matt Lipka doubled with two out in the bottom of the ninth off New Hampshire's Dany Jimenez but was left stranded as Angel Aguilar struck out swinging to end the game.
Lipka went 2-for-4, matching the team-high by hitting safely in his 11th straight game. Kyle Holder legged out an infield single in his final at-bat in the eighth to extend his hitting streak to nine games.
Your Thunder continue their homestand on Tuesday at 7 p.m. against the Fisher Cats. RHP Rony Garcia (3-11, 4.88) will start for the Thunder, and RHP Yennsy Diaz (9-8, 4.00) will go for New Hampshire. Pregame coverage begins at 6:40 p.m. on 920 AM The Jersey or online at TrentonThunder.com/Broadcast.
• Discuss this story on the Eastern League message board...
Eastern League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Stephen Drives in Decisive Run in 10th as R-Phils Hang on in Portland - Reading Fightin Phils
- RubberDucks Fall to Harrisburg - Akron RubberDucks
- Offense Explodes in 11-4 Victory - Bowie Baysox
- Thunder Can't Corner 'Cats, Fall 1-0 - Trenton Thunder
- Reading Holds on for a 8-7 Win in 10 Innings - Portland Sea Dogs
- Senators Win on Strength of Five in the Fifth - Harrisburg Senators
- First Place SeaWolves Fall in Extras - Erie SeaWolves
- Heyward's Slam Sends Squirrels to Walk-Off Win over SeaWolves - Richmond Flying Squirrels
- Baysox 7-Run 3rd Leads to Ponies 7th Straight Loss - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Curve Stop Yard Goats 5-Game Win-Streak - Hartford Yard Goats
- Curve Blank Yard Goats in Series Opener - Altoona Curve
- Sea Dogs Welcome 10 Millionth Fan - Portland Sea Dogs
- Erie SeaWolves at Richmond Flying Squirrels - Game Notes - Erie SeaWolves
- Rumble Ponies Game Notes #125: Binghamton Rumble Ponies (25-35, 60-64) at Bowie Baysox (38-19, 68-57) - 7:05PM - Binghamton Rumble Ponies
- Akron RubberDucks Homestand Highlights (August 19-25) - Stanley Hudson to Visit Canal Park August 24 - Akron RubberDucks
- Curve's Mason Wins 2019 Diamond Pro Award - Altoona Curve
- Altoona's Chris Mason Named Diamond Pro Sports Field Manager of the Year - EL
- Sea Dogs Game Notes August 19th vs. Reading - Portland Sea Dogs
- Hill Wins Eastern League Player of the Week - Altoona Curve
- Baumann Named EL Pitcher of the Week - Bowie Baysox
- Eastern League Weekly Award Winners Announced for August 12th-August 18th - EL
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Trenton Thunder Stories
- 2020 Thunder Season Canceled Due to COVID-19
- Update from the Trenton Thunder
- Individual Tickets on Sale Thursday, Promotional Schedule Revealed for 2020 Season
- Swing into 2020 with New Entertainment Suite at ARM & HAMMER Park
- Name Revealed for 4th Generation of Thunder Bat Dog Tradition