Three-Run Eighth Carries Stripers over Bats
LAWRENCEVILLE, GA - A three-run bottom of the eighth inning broke a tie game and led the Gwinnett Stripers to a 4-1 win over the Louisville Bats Monday night at Coolray Field.
The game was scoreless until the bottom of the fourth inning, when Gwinnett put runners on first and second with one out. Greyson Jenista then drove in Rylan Bannon with a single, giving the Stripers a 1-0 lead.
That was the only run Bats' starter Levi Stoudt allowed in the game. Stoudt went four innings and struck out three in his final start of the season.
Gwinnett held onto that 1-0 lead until the top of the eighth inning. With one out, Juniel Querecuto and Ronnie Dawson each singled. That set up Stephen Piscotty, who tied the game with a base hit into right field, scoring Querecuto.
In the bottom of the eighth, the Stripers put two runners on base via walks. Once again it was Jenista who came through with his second RBI single of the game, a ground ball through the left side nearly identical to his first back in the fourth inning.
Later in the frame after another walk, Hendrik Clementina knocked in two more runs on a single, extending the Gwinnett lead to 4-1.
The Stripers' pitching staff had a fantastic night, with seven different pitchers combining to hold Louisville to one run on six hits for the game while striking out 13 times.
The Bats and Stripers will play game two of their three-game series and the penultimate contest of the regular season Tuesday night at Coolray Field. Justin Nicolino (4-6, 5.79 ERA) will make the start for Louisville. Gwinnett has yet to announce a starter. First pitch is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. ET.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from September 26, 2022
- Michael Perez's Go-Ahead Grand Slam Powers Syracuse to 8-5 Win over Lehigh Valley in Opener of Final Series of the Season - Syracuse Mets
- Perez Grand Slam leads Mets to win over 'Pigs - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Three-Run Eighth Carries Stripers over Bats - Louisville Bats
- Knights Drop Opener to Bulls 6-2 on Monday Night - Charlotte Knights
- Columbus Clips Indians to Open Series - Indianapolis Indians
- Westburg Knocks Go-Ahead RBI in Series Opening Win - Norfolk Tides
- Brigman Homers, But Jumbo Shrimp Fall in Series Opener - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- Rochester Red Wings Post-Game Notes - Rochester Red Wings
- Hernandez Homers Twice in Rain-Shortened Win over Red Wings - Worcester Red Sox
- Red Wings, Red Sox Game Called Due to Inclement Weather - Rochester Red Wings
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (74-72) at Columbus Clippers (82-64) - Indianapolis Indians
- Marlins' García, Nance to Rehab with Jumbo Shrimp - Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp
- September 26 Game Notes: Iowa Cubs vs. Toledo Mud Hens - Iowa Cubs
- Wright & Neslony Activated off Injured List - Charlotte Knights
- SWB RailRiders Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Rochester Red Wings Game Notes - September 26 vs. Worcester - Rochester Red Wings
- WooSox to Host Fall Beer Garden on the 8th Hill from 1-3pm Before EBW Classic, Presented by Sanofi Careers - Worcester Red Sox
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- Rowdie's Pumpkin Patch at Victory Field Returns Sunday, October 23 - Indianapolis Indians
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.