Syracuse Crunch to Celebrate Black History Month
SYRACUSE, N.Y. - The Syracuse Crunch will be celebrating Black History Month throughout the month of February by highlighting and supporting local predominantly Black nonprofit organizations.
During February, the Crunch will highlight four local Black organizations in the Syracuse community - We Rise Above the Streets Recovery Outreach, The Kia Foundation, PGR Foundation, Inc. and 100 Black Men of Syracuse. Each week, information about one of the four nonprofit organizations will be shared on the team's social media pages along with its mission statement and how fans can support each cause.
The month will end with the team's Black History Month game on Saturday, Feb. 26 where We Rise Above the Streets Recovery Outreach, The Kia Foundation, PGR Foundation, Inc. and 100 Black Men of Syracuse will have tables on the concourse. Also during the game, the Crunch will use the Hockey Diversity Alliance's Tape Out Hate tape on their sticks in warmups. The tape features "racism has no place in hockey" written out along with #TapeOutHate. Funds from the team's game day auctions hosted on GiveSmart will benefit the four nonprofit organizations.
In addition to highlighting Black nonprofit organizations in Syracuse, the team will celebrate Crunch alumni Daniel Walcott, Mathieu Joseph and Gemel Smith who made history on May 10, 2021 with the Tampa Bay Lightning as the first-ever all-Black starting forward line with a t-shirt that features "Walcott & Joseph & Smith" written out with the historic date below. The shirts are designed and produced by The Print Hub, a Black-run company in Syracuse, and proceeds will benefit We Rise Above the Streets Recovery Outreach, The Kia Foundation, PGR Foundation, Inc. and 100 Black Men of Syracuse. The shirts are now available for pre-order at www.syracusecrunch.com/blackhistory and will be for sale at Crunch merchandise stands during February home games.
Single game tickets and ticket packages for the 2021-22 season are on sale now and can be purchased in person at the Crunch office located inside the Upstate Medical University Arena at Onondaga County War Memorial at 800 S. State St. in Syracuse, by calling the office at 315-473-4444 or online through Ticketmaster. For the latest Crunch news, visit www.syracusecrunch.com or follow the club on Facebook (www.facebook.com/syracusecrunch), Twitter (@SyracuseCrunch) and Instagram (@syracusecrunch).
• Discuss this story on the American Hockey League message board...
American Hockey League Stories from January 28, 2022
- Noesen, Wolves Power Past Grand Rapids - Chicago Wolves
- Belleville Sens Drop 5-1 Decision to Marlies at CAA Arena - Belleville Senators
- Wolf Pack Win Shootout Thriller over Bruins at XL Center - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Slow Start Costs Phantoms in Springfield - Lehigh Valley Phantoms
- Tireless D'Orio Shuts out Cleveland, 4-0 - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- Providence Bruins Tie Game Late, Fall to Hartford Wolf Pack in Shootout - Providence Bruins
- Walker's Natural Hat Trick Sparks T-Birds' Romp of Phantoms - Springfield Thunderbirds
- Monsters Shutout by Penguins in 4-0 Loss - Cleveland Monsters
- Dalpe's OT Heroics Sink First-Place Comets - Charlotte Checkers
- Comets Suffer Rare Home Defeat, Lose 4-3 in Overtime to Charlotte - Utica Comets
- Crunch Edged by Amerks, 2-1 - Syracuse Crunch
- The Road Ahead: January 28 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Moose Sign Tristin Langan to Tryout - Manitoba Moose
- Wolf Pack Recall Zach Berzolla from Loan - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Grand Rapids Endures Three Roster Changes - Grand Rapids Griffins
- Panthers Assign Aleksi Heponiemi, Matt Kiersted and Spencer Knight to Charlotte - Charlotte Checkers
- Dallas Stars Reassign Khudobin to Texas, Gardner to the Taxi Squad and Barteaux to Idaho - Texas Stars
- Series Preview vs. Colorado: January 28 & 29 - Henderson Silver Knights
- Abbotsford Canucks at Manitoba Moose Preview - Abbotsford Canucks
- Syracuse Crunch to Celebrate Black History Month - Syracuse Crunch
- Wolf Pack Look to Maintain First Place as Bruins Come to Town - Hartford Wolf Pack
- Marlies Return to Belleville for Battle of Ontario - Toronto Marlies
- Blue Jackets Reassign Goaltender Cam Johnson to Monsters - Cleveland Monsters
- Game Preview: January 28 at Cleveland - Wilkes-Barre/Scranton Penguins
- IceHogs Hit the Road for Weekend Road Trip Beginning in Milwaukee Tonight - Rockford IceHogs
- Game #33: Bakersfield at Tucson - Tucson Roadrunners
- Barracuda Rolled by Reign, 7-1 - San Jose Barracuda
- Reign Have Little Trouble in Sutter's 1,000th Game - Ontario Reign
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.