Sturgeon Records Two Hits in Loss to RailRiders
MOOSIC, Pa. - Despite a pair of hits from leadoff man Cole Sturgeon, the Pawtucket Red Sox dropped the series opener to the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders, 11-1, on Monday night at PNC Field.
The RailRiders (67-59), who sit atop the International League's North Division, scored four runs in the first and three in the second to snatch an early advantage against the PawSox (53-72). Pawtucket, which is in the midst of its final road trip of the season, is set for four games (including tonight) in Moosic and a three-game, weekend series in Buffalo.
Sturgeon (2-for-5, 2B, RBI) began the ballgame with a leadoff single and doubled home a run in the top of the ninth inning - moments after he had helped out the bullpen by pitching the bottom of the eighth inning (and touching 90 MPH on the radar gun).
Pawtucket relievers Domingo Tapia (1.2 IP, 2 K) and Bobby Poyner (2 IP, 0 H, 3 K) combined for 3.2 shutout frames in the middle innings. Starter Erasmo Ramírez (L, 4-8) ceded seven runs in 1.1 innings.
RailRiders starter Brian Keller (W, 1-1) fired six shutout stanzas with eight punchouts.
The RailRiders sent nine batters to the plate in each of the first two innings to build their early 7-0 lead. With another run in the seventh and three in the eighth, the margin swelled to 11-0 for an offense that recorded a dozen hits and coaxed 11 walks.
Gorkys Hernández ripped a one-out double in the top of the ninth and scored on Sturgeon's two-bagger that he pulled off the right-field wall.
The PawSox now continue their four-game series against the RailRiders on Tuesday at 7:05 p.m. Pawtucket right-hander Josh Smith (5-3, 5.48) is scheduled to oppose RailRiders righty Brody Koerner (4-3, 5.16). Radio coverage on WHJJ (920 AM and 104.7 FM) and throughout the PawSox Radio Network begins with the pre-game show at 6:35 p.m.
Following their seven-game road trip through Scranton and Buffalo, the PawSox return home for a nine-game homestand August 26th through September 2nd (Monday-Monday) against the Yankees' and Phillies' Triple-A affiliates.
On August 27 (Tuesday), the PawSox will again play as the popular Osos Polares de Pawtucket. Then on August 29 (Thursday), the PawSox will host Team Poster and Autograph Night. The first 5,000 fans entering the stadium will receive a full-color PawSox Team Poster suitable for framing. From 5-6 PM before the game, fans will also be allowed on the field for pictures and autographs with their favorite players. On August 30 (Friday), the PawSox will take the field as the Pawtucket Fightin' Quahogs in a name change that pays homage to one of Rhode Island's most famous cuisines. The PawSox will wear caps and jerseys featuring the Fightin' Quahogs logo for the second game of that Friday doubleheader. On August 31 (Saturday), fans can enjoy post-game fireworks set to music from Motown. On September 1 (Sunday), fans can play catch on the field and then run the bases post-game on a Sunday FunDay.
During the homestretch, the PawSox will admit for free children 16 and under. They'll also let "kids run the show" at each game. Parents also have the option to partake of a new "End of Summer Family Bargain" in which they each receive a General Admission ticket, $2 in loaded value (good for food, beverage, or merchandise), and a PawSox cap, all for $12 (a $26 value).
Good tickets are available, and fans can visit the McCoy Stadium box office, which is open Monday-Friday from 10 a.m. through 5 p.m., and during all home games. Fans can also call (401) 724-7300 or log on to PawSox.com for tickets.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Knights Hang On, Beat Bulls 13-11 - Charlotte Knights
- Gwinnett's Comeback Falls Short in 6-5 Loss to Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- History: Zeuch Throws Just the Second No-Hitter in Bisons Modern Era, Herd Wins 3-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Comeback Falls Short in Opener - Durham Bulls
- Sturgeon Records Two Hits in Loss to RailRiders - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tides Rally past Gwinnett - Norfolk Tides
- RailRiders knock around PawSox pitching early, win second consecutive game - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Zeuch No-Hits Wings in Series Opener - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Drops Back-And-Forth Contest, 5-4 - Louisville Bats
- Hayes Homers Again But Indians Lose to Hens, 12-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- IronPugs lose 1-0 to Mets - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Oswalt Tosses Gem and Rivera Homers as Mets Beat IronPigs, 1-0 - Syracuse Mets
- Hens Breakout for 12 in Third Straight Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings, Bisons Series Continues Tuesday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (53-72) at Columbus Clippers (71-54) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (61-64) at Toledo Mud Hens (57-68) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats to Hold 'Flash Sale' August 20-24 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Vladimir Gutierrez Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Louisville Bats
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- Vladimir Gutierrez Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Louisville Bats
- Beef on Weck Dog Claims Title as Top Dog for 2019 - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs Announce 2020 Schedule - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Homestand Highlights- August 19-22 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.