Hayes Homers Again But Indians Lose to Hens, 12-4
TOLEDO, OHIO - Ke'Bryan Hayes lined his 10th home run of the season in the first inning, but momentum quickly swayed toward the Mud Hens as the Indianapolis Indians were blitzed on Monday night in Toledo, 12-4. Jason Martin doubled twice and Mitchell Tolman doubled and tripled in the defeat.
Toledo (58-68) answered Hayes' first-inning dinger with five runs in the bottom half off Brandon Waddell. The Mud Hens loaded the bases with no outs on two singles and a walk. Following a strikeout, Willi Castro drilled his first of three hits to tie the game at 1-1. Frank Schwindel then hit a ground ball between Tolman's legs at second base for a two-run error, and Kade Scivicque made the miscue hurt more with a two-out, two-run double.
The Mud Hens tacked on two runs in the second to extend their lead to 7-1. Two singles and a walk set up a Castro sacrifice fly, and a wild pitch by Waddell allowed Christin Stewart to race home.
Indianapolis (61-65) pulled within four runs thanks to a two-run fifth. Tolman and Martin strung two-baggers together to make it 7-2, and Francisco Cervelli singled shortly after to bring home Martin from second.
The home team put away Indy by scoring four in the sixth and one more in the seventh. Rookie Davis tossed the sixth and surrendered four hits and a walk, with Stewart belting a three-run homer in the frame. Tribe utility player Darnell Sweeney pitched the final two innings and gave up one run.
Waddell (L, 2-6) was charged with seven runs (four earned) on six hits and three walks in two innings of work. Dovydas Neverauskas struck out four over three hitless innings in relief. Tim Adleman (W, 7-4) fanned seven in seven innings of three-run ball.
Eight of Indy's nine starters recorded at least one hit and all nine reached base safely. The Tribe went 3-for-9 with runners in scoring position but hit into five double plays.
The Indians and Mud Hens play the second game of their series on Tuesday at 6:35 p.m. ET. Alex McRae (7-7, 5.15) and Kyle Funkhouser (3-6, 7.50) are expected to start for both clubs.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Knights Hang On, Beat Bulls 13-11 - Charlotte Knights
- Gwinnett's Comeback Falls Short in 6-5 Loss to Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- History: Zeuch Throws Just the Second No-Hitter in Bisons Modern Era, Herd Wins 3-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Comeback Falls Short in Opener - Durham Bulls
- Sturgeon Records Two Hits in Loss to RailRiders - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tides Rally past Gwinnett - Norfolk Tides
- RailRiders knock around PawSox pitching early, win second consecutive game - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Zeuch No-Hits Wings in Series Opener - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Drops Back-And-Forth Contest, 5-4 - Louisville Bats
- Hayes Homers Again But Indians Lose to Hens, 12-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- IronPugs lose 1-0 to Mets - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Oswalt Tosses Gem and Rivera Homers as Mets Beat IronPigs, 1-0 - Syracuse Mets
- Hens Breakout for 12 in Third Straight Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings, Bisons Series Continues Tuesday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (53-72) at Columbus Clippers (71-54) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (61-64) at Toledo Mud Hens (57-68) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats to Hold 'Flash Sale' August 20-24 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Vladimir Gutierrez Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Louisville Bats
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- Vladimir Gutierrez Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Louisville Bats
- Beef on Weck Dog Claims Title as Top Dog for 2019 - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs Announce 2020 Schedule - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Homestand Highlights- August 19-22 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Indianapolis Indians Stories
- Former Tribe Third Baseman Ke'Bryan Hayes Named to Baseball America's MLB All-Rookie Team
- Indianapolis Indians Charities Golf Outing Recap
- This Date in Indians History - September
- Special Olympics Indiana 2020 State Softball Championship Games Coming to Victory Field
- Five MLB Playoff Teams Feature Former Indianapolis Indians