RailRiders knock around PawSox pitching early, win second consecutive game
MOOSIC, PA - The Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders used an explosion of offense out of the gate over the first two innings- scoring seven runs and batting around twice- en route to defeating the Pawtucket Red Sox 11-1 Monday night at PNC Field.
RailRiders starting pitcher Brian Keller threw 6.0 shutout innings in his third Triple-A start for SWB, bouncing back from a tough outing his last time out in Charlotte. He allowed a pair of base runners to begin the night, but then settled down, retiring 11 in-a-row from the first through the fourth innings allowing his offense to grab a lead.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre plated four runs on three hits and three walks against Red Sox starter Erasmo Ramirez. Keeping the momentum into the second inning, Clint Frazier, Ryan McBroom and Mandy Alvarez all hit RBI singles, plating three runs and extending the lead to 7-0. Five innings later, Terrance Gore brought home Gosuke Katoh with a groundout in the bottom of the seventh, increasing the home team's advantage to 8-0.
In the bottom of the eighth, Kratz smacked a solo home run to dead center off Pawtucket position player Cole Sturgeon. The lefty came in out of the bullpen throwing 88-90 MPH in his third relief outing of the season. The homer by Kratz off the former Louisville Cardinals closer made it 9-0, and then Scranton/Wilkes-Barre plated two more runs later in the inning to secure an 11-0 lead.
The PawSox notched their lone tally in the top of the ninth inning as Sturgeon doubled and plated a run, spoiling a combined shutout bid by the RailRiders with one out to go.
Keller (1-1) limited Pawtucket to only four hits while striking out eight on the night. The effort earned him his first career Triple-A win. Ramirez (4-8) was charged the loss for Pawtucket after he went just 1.1 innings on 61 pitches and surrendering seven runs. His season ERA jumped from 4.25 to 4.75 following the outing.
The RailRiders remain 2.0 games ahead of the Buffalo Bisons and Syracuse Mets for first place in the division with 14 games remaining in the regular season.
The RailRiders continue the series against Pawtucket Tuesday evening. First pitch of game two is scheduled for 7:05 p.m. For tickets and more information, call (570) 969-BALL or slide to www.swbrailriders.com/tickets.
Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Record:
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Knights Hang On, Beat Bulls 13-11 - Charlotte Knights
- Gwinnett's Comeback Falls Short in 6-5 Loss to Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- History: Zeuch Throws Just the Second No-Hitter in Bisons Modern Era, Herd Wins 3-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Comeback Falls Short in Opener - Durham Bulls
- Sturgeon Records Two Hits in Loss to RailRiders - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tides Rally past Gwinnett - Norfolk Tides
- RailRiders knock around PawSox pitching early, win second consecutive game - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Zeuch No-Hits Wings in Series Opener - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Drops Back-And-Forth Contest, 5-4 - Louisville Bats
- Hayes Homers Again But Indians Lose to Hens, 12-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- IronPugs lose 1-0 to Mets - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Oswalt Tosses Gem and Rivera Homers as Mets Beat IronPigs, 1-0 - Syracuse Mets
- Hens Breakout for 12 in Third Straight Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings, Bisons Series Continues Tuesday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (53-72) at Columbus Clippers (71-54) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (61-64) at Toledo Mud Hens (57-68) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats to Hold 'Flash Sale' August 20-24 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Vladimir Gutierrez Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Louisville Bats
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- Vladimir Gutierrez Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Louisville Bats
- Beef on Weck Dog Claims Title as Top Dog for 2019 - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs Announce 2020 Schedule - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Homestand Highlights- August 19-22 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Stories
- SWB RailRiders Media Advisory- Emergency Food Drive-Thru Giveaway on May 27 at PNC Field
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre participating in MiLB CommUNITY First Campaign
- RailRiders Join the Show with IL Clubs
- READing RailRoad Returns
- RailRiders Front Office Is Temporarily Closed