Gwinnett's Comeback Falls Short in 6-5 Loss to Norfolk
NORFOLK, Va. - The Norfolk Tides (52-73) plated a run in the bottom of the eighth inning and edged the Gwinnett Stripers (72-53) 6-5 Monday night in the first of the four-game series at Harbor Park. The Gwinnett offense was highlighted by home runs from Andres Blanco and Jack Lopez.
Scoring Recap: The Tides broke a scoreless tie with a RBI single from Zach Vincej in the bottom of the second off Gwinnett starter Kyle Wright. The lead grew to 4-0 an inning later as Dwight Smith Jr. stroked a run scoring double and Ryan Mountcastle (23) later crushed a two-run homer off Wright. An RBI double by Drew Waters in the top of the fifth off Norfolk starter Chandler Shepherd cut the lead to 4-1. However, the Tides got the run back a half inning later on a RBI single to center by Jose Rondon. The Stripers got a two-run homer to right in the sixth by Blanco (19) to cut the lead to 5-3 and then a two-run shot by Lopez (10) in the top of the eighth off reliever Dillon Tate to tie the game at five. Norfolk scored the eventual winning run in the bottom of the eighth as Smith Jr. drilled a double off Jeremy Walker, scoring Rylan Bannon from first.
Stripers Stats: Wright worked 6.0 innings with 10 hits, five earned runs and 11 strikeouts. Walker (L, 1-1) went 2.0 innings with two hits, one earned run and two strikeouts. At the plate, Johan Camargo was 3-for-4 with a run and a double. Blanco was 1-for-2 with two runs and a two-run homer. Pedro Florimon was 2-for-4 with a run.
Tides Stats: Shepherd pitched 6.0 innings with seven hits, three earned runs and six strikeouts. Tate (W, 2-0) went 2.0 innings with two hits and two earned runs. Tayler Scott (S, 6) worked a perfect ninth inning.
Postgame Notes: The 11 strikeouts by Wright was a season-high. The Stripers have now hit 186 homers in 125 games this season. The loss was only the second for Gwinnett in six games in Norfolk this season.
Next Game (Tuesday, August 20): Gwinnett at Norfolk, 7:05 p.m. at Harbor Park. RHP Touki Toussaint (1-3, 5.76 ERA) for the Stripers vs. LHP Bruce Zimmerman (0-2, 6.30 ERA) for the Tides. Radio Broadcast: 6:50 p.m. on 97.7 and 93.5 FM "The Other Side of the River."
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Knights Hang On, Beat Bulls 13-11 - Charlotte Knights
- Gwinnett's Comeback Falls Short in 6-5 Loss to Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- History: Zeuch Throws Just the Second No-Hitter in Bisons Modern Era, Herd Wins 3-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Comeback Falls Short in Opener - Durham Bulls
- Sturgeon Records Two Hits in Loss to RailRiders - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tides Rally past Gwinnett - Norfolk Tides
- RailRiders knock around PawSox pitching early, win second consecutive game - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Zeuch No-Hits Wings in Series Opener - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Drops Back-And-Forth Contest, 5-4 - Louisville Bats
- Hayes Homers Again But Indians Lose to Hens, 12-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- IronPugs lose 1-0 to Mets - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Oswalt Tosses Gem and Rivera Homers as Mets Beat IronPigs, 1-0 - Syracuse Mets
- Hens Breakout for 12 in Third Straight Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings, Bisons Series Continues Tuesday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (53-72) at Columbus Clippers (71-54) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (61-64) at Toledo Mud Hens (57-68) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats to Hold 'Flash Sale' August 20-24 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Vladimir Gutierrez Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Louisville Bats
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- Vladimir Gutierrez Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Louisville Bats
- Beef on Weck Dog Claims Title as Top Dog for 2019 - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs Announce 2020 Schedule - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Homestand Highlights- August 19-22 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent Gwinnett Stripers Stories
- Chris Young to Play Coolray Field's First-Ever Socially-Distant Concert on November 14
- Gwinnett Stripers' Coolray Field to Host Braves Taxi Squad
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce National Anthem Auditions
- Gwinnett Stripers Announce 2020 Promotions Schedule
- Reigning IL Manager of the Year Damon Berryhill Returns to Gwinnett