International League Players of the Week Named
August 19, 2019 - International League (IL) News Release
The International League announced today that Charlotte catcher Zack Collins and Louisville right- handed starter Vladimir Gutierrez have been named the League's Batter and Pitcher of the Week for the period covering August 12-18. This marks the second time in a row the Batter of the Week is a member of the Knights and the third time overall this season (Daniel Palka, May 13-19; Ramon Torres, August 5-11). The Louisville club has now claimed four weekly awards in 2019, as Gutierrez follows Phillip Ervin (May 27-June 2), Lucas Sims (July 1-7) and Narciso Crook (July 15-21).
ZACK COLLINS, Charlotte Knights IL BATTER OF THE WEEK It was another winning week for the Charlotte Knights, who have pulled even in the Wild Card race thanks in no small part to the hot hitting of Zack Collins. Collins led the League over the past seven days with fourteen hits, a .538 batting average, 29 total bases, four home runs, a .586 on-base percentage and a 1.115 slugging percentage. He hand multiple hits in six of the past seven games, highlighted by a 4-for-5 effort on Wednesday night in which he homered twice and drove in six runs in Charlotte's 13-12 extra inning victory over Scranton/Wilkes-Barre. Collins had nine RBI on the week, tied for 3rd most in the IL. He now has 68 RBI on the season, 2nd most on the Knights.
24-year-old Zack Collins is in his fourth season playing professionally and his first season above the Double-A level. He was selected by the White Sox in the 1st round (10th overall) in the 2016 draft out of the University of Miami. He made his Major League debut for the White Sox in June, clubbing a three-run homer for his first career hit. Collins is a native of Pembroke Pines, Florida.
VLADIMIR GUTIERREZ, Louisville Bats IL PITCHER OF THE WEEK Bats starter Vladimir Gutierrez was masterful in his start Thursday night against Lehigh Valley though it ultimately wasn't a winning effort for Louisville. Over 6.0 innings of work, Gutierrez allowed just one run on two hits and two walks while striking out ten. He got back what he gave up as he personally delivered a pair of hits and a solo home run to the Bats offensive cause. Gutierrez departed with a 4-1 lead but the Bats bullpen cost him a victory by giving up six runs over the final two innings. It was the second straight start for Gutierrez allowing just one run, which has lowered his ERA to 6.36 on the year.
23-year-old Vladimir Gutierrez is in his third season pitching professionally and his first season above the Double-A level. He was signed by Cincinnati in 2016 and is currently ranked by Baseball America as being among the organization's top ten prospects. He has yet to make his Major League debut. Gutierrez is a native of Havana, Cuba.
• Discuss this story on the International League message board...
International League Stories from August 19, 2019
- Knights Hang On, Beat Bulls 13-11 - Charlotte Knights
- Gwinnett's Comeback Falls Short in 6-5 Loss to Norfolk - Gwinnett Stripers
- History: Zeuch Throws Just the Second No-Hitter in Bisons Modern Era, Herd Wins 3-0 - Buffalo Bisons
- Bulls Comeback Falls Short in Opener - Durham Bulls
- Sturgeon Records Two Hits in Loss to RailRiders - Pawtucket Red Sox
- Tides Rally past Gwinnett - Norfolk Tides
- RailRiders knock around PawSox pitching early, win second consecutive game - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Zeuch No-Hits Wings in Series Opener - Rochester Red Wings
- Louisville Drops Back-And-Forth Contest, 5-4 - Louisville Bats
- Hayes Homers Again But Indians Lose to Hens, 12-4 - Indianapolis Indians
- IronPugs lose 1-0 to Mets - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Oswalt Tosses Gem and Rivera Homers as Mets Beat IronPigs, 1-0 - Syracuse Mets
- Hens Breakout for 12 in Third Straight Win - Toledo Mud Hens
- Wings, Bisons Series Continues Tuesday Night - Rochester Red Wings
- SWB Game Notes - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
- Game Notes: Louisville Bats (53-72) at Columbus Clippers (71-54) - Louisville Bats
- Game Information: Indianapolis Indians (61-64) at Toledo Mud Hens (57-68) - Indianapolis Indians
- Louisville Bats to Hold 'Flash Sale' August 20-24 - Louisville Bats
- Bisons Game Notes - Buffalo at Rochester (7:05 p.m.) - Buffalo Bisons
- Vladimir Gutierrez Named IL Pitcher of the Week - Louisville Bats
- International League Players of the Week Named - IL
- Vladimir Gutierrez Named International League Pitcher of the Week - Louisville Bats
- Beef on Weck Dog Claims Title as Top Dog for 2019 - Buffalo Bisons
- Red Wings Homestand Highlights - Rochester Red Wings
- IronPigs Announce 2020 Schedule - Lehigh Valley IronPigs
- Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders Homestand Highlights- August 19-22 - Scranton/Wilkes-Barre RailRiders
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.