Stingrays Score Four Unanswered Goals to Beat Augusta 5-1
North Charleston, SC - Chris Chaput scored two goals, and the South Carolina Stingrays scored four unanswered goals to defeat the Augusta Lynx 5-1 at the North Charleston Coliseum.
"I thought we played well from the start," said Head Coach Jared Bednar. "When they took the lead on the power play we just stuck to our game and were able to finish strong."
In the first period, the Stingrays had to deal with three penalties. Even though they had the upper hand while skating five on five, the Augusta Lynx scored on their third power play opportunity and skated to the locker with a 1-0 lead.
The Rays would tie things up in the second period on Chris Chaput's first goal of the night, 18th goal of the year. The goal came on the power play at 4:40 and was assisted by Pierre-Luc O'Brien and Nate Kiser. South Carolina would find themselves down 2-1 but quickly tied things back on an even strength goal by Trent Campbell, his 13th of the year. Campbell's goal came at 18:16 from Steve Pinizzotto and Sean Collins.
The Stingrays took control in the third period. They would take the lead on Paul McIlveen's 10th goal of the year at 3:02 from Pinizzotto and Campbell. Grant McNeill joined in the fun as he scored his 4th goal of the year, his second in as many games, at 8:13 from Marty Guerin and O'Brien. Chaput would get his second goal of the night, and his 19th on the year, at 18:35 from Kiser and Rory Rawlyk, to make the score 5-2, the eventual final.
The winning goaltender was Davis Parley who stopped 27 of the 29 shots he faced. The losing goaltender was Gerald Coleman who stopped 30 of 35 shots. The Rays went one for four on the power play while killing off three of the five short handed situations they faced.
The Rays are back in action Friday night when they welcome in the number one team in the ECHL, the Texas Wildcatters. Game time will be at 7:05 P.M
Don't miss all the fast-paced, hard-hitting action! Individual tickets can be purchased at the North Charleston Coliseum box office, by calling Ticketmaster at (843) 554-6060 and online at www.ticketmaster.com.
Discounted groups tickets, birthday packages, Kids Club information and fundraiser opportunities are available by calling (843) 744-2248 or by visiting online at www.stingrayshockey.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 26, 2008
- Falcons Win 30th of Season with 5-2 Victory over Phoenix - Fresno Falcons
- Inferno dispatch Sea Wolves 6-4 - Columbia Inferno
- Inferno's Hot Third Scorches Sea Wolves - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Marc Cavosie Loaned To Albany - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Score Four Unanswered Goals to Beat Augusta 5-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 60 minutes eludes Lynx again in 5-2 loss on Tuesday - Augusta Lynx
- Condors serving help for the community - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Concludes MidSeason Board of Governors Meeting - ECHL
- Schwarz named ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Alaska Aces
- Bakersfield's Robinson Fined - ECHL
- Stockton's Beeman Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- Victoria's Wade Suspended Two Games - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Falcons Add Carbery To Mix - Fresno Falcons
- Wolf Pack Transactions - Charlotte Checkers
- Wranglers To Shave Heads For Charity On March 8 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Alaska's Schwarz Named Rbk Hockey Goalie Of The Week - ECHL
- Aubin Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cincinnati's Aubin Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- RoadRunners Land Veteran Dusty Jamieson - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Fans Flock to Beef 'O' Brady's for First Tip-A-Pilot - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Rays Host Lynx Tonight at 7:05pm - South Carolina Stingrays
- Let It Be... - Reading Royals
- Jackals Journal - Elmira Jackals
- Bakersfield Head Coach Raymond Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Checkers Trade Jamieson To Phoenix - Charlotte Checkers
- Balanced attack, Fisher's 35 saves mark third straight Thunder win - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Storms Past RoadRunners 4-1 - Phoenix RoadRunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.
Other Recent South Carolina Stingrays Stories
- Rays Sign Defenseman Evan Fiala
- Whitney's Big Night Propels Stingrays Past Atlanta
- Stingrays Weekly Report
- Steelheads Hold Rays at Bay with 1-0 Win
- Stingrays Sign J.C. Brassard, Jake Kamrass