Inferno dispatch Sea Wolves 6-4
BILOXI, Miss. (Feb. 26, 2008)-The Columbia Inferno (25-21-4-6, 60 points) overcame a Ryan Menei hat trick to beat the Mississippi Sea Wolves (22-32-1-2, 47 points) 6-4 on Tuesday night for their third consecutive road victory.
Menei scored the game's first two goals, giving the Sea Wolves a 1-0 lead at 15:55 of the first and a 2-0 lead 44 seconds into the second period.
The Inferno cut the lead in half just 30 seconds after Menei's second goal as newcomer Michel Leveille beat Ryan Munce for his first ECHL goal of the year. Jeff Miles and Anthony Battaglia earned the assists. Menei reclaimed a two goal lead for the Sea Wolves at 3:43 of the second when his third goal of the game-and 16th of the season-beat Todd Ford, with assists to Jason Tejchma and Marek Kvapil. Miles trimmed the two-goal deficit just 20 seconds later when his 21st goal of the year found the net behind Munce. Leveille and Battaglia recorded the assists.
The Inferno exploded for four straight goals in the third period, kicked off by Julien Brouillette's first professional goal 3:38 into the final frame. Steve McJannet scored his 11th of the year 19 seconds later to give the Inferno its first lead of the game, 4-3. Miles added his second the night, a power play tally, at 8:39 of the third to push Columbia's lead to 5-3. Patrick Wellar capped the Inferno's scoring run at 10:30 when his eighth of the season beat Munce to give the Inferno a 6-3 lead. The Sea Wolves added another goal with less than two minutes left to play when Zbynek Hrdel notched his third of the year to make the final score 6-4.
Four players-Battaglia, Leveille, Miles and Tyson Marsh-tallied multiple points for the Inferno. Ford finished with 23 of 27 saves to win his third straight game, while Munce stopped 25 of 31.
The Inferno return to the Carolina Coliseum on Friday, Feb. 29 to host the Gwinnett Gladiators at 7:05 p.m.
Season tickets, group tickets, fundraisers and the coolest birthday parties in town are all available by calling 803.256.7825 or by logging on to columbiainferno.com.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 26, 2008
- Falcons Win 30th of Season with 5-2 Victory over Phoenix - Fresno Falcons
- Inferno dispatch Sea Wolves 6-4 - Columbia Inferno
- Inferno's Hot Third Scorches Sea Wolves - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Marc Cavosie Loaned To Albany - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Score Four Unanswered Goals to Beat Augusta 5-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 60 minutes eludes Lynx again in 5-2 loss on Tuesday - Augusta Lynx
- Condors serving help for the community - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Concludes MidSeason Board of Governors Meeting - ECHL
- Schwarz named ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Alaska Aces
- Bakersfield's Robinson Fined - ECHL
- Stockton's Beeman Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- Victoria's Wade Suspended Two Games - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Falcons Add Carbery To Mix - Fresno Falcons
- Wolf Pack Transactions - Charlotte Checkers
- Wranglers To Shave Heads For Charity On March 8 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Alaska's Schwarz Named Rbk Hockey Goalie Of The Week - ECHL
- Aubin Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cincinnati's Aubin Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- RoadRunners Land Veteran Dusty Jamieson - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Fans Flock to Beef 'O' Brady's for First Tip-A-Pilot - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Rays Host Lynx Tonight at 7:05pm - South Carolina Stingrays
- Let It Be... - Reading Royals
- Jackals Journal - Elmira Jackals
- Bakersfield Head Coach Raymond Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Checkers Trade Jamieson To Phoenix - Charlotte Checkers
- Balanced attack, Fisher's 35 saves mark third straight Thunder win - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Storms Past RoadRunners 4-1 - Phoenix RoadRunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.