Inferno's Hot Third Scorches Sea Wolves
BILOXI, MS - Ryan Menei scored his first professional hat trick to stake the Mississippi Sea Wolves to a 3-1 lead, but the Columbia Inferno raged back with five consecutive goals as the defeated Mississippi 6-4 at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum on Tuesday.
Ryan Menei got the Sea Wolves on the board when he ripped the puck past Inferno goaltender Todd Ford after Jason Tejchma won a faceoff back to him at 15:05 of the first period.
Menei picked up his second of the game, beating Ford on a sharp angle shot from the goalie's right just 44 seconds into the second period. Columbia got on the board just 32 seconds following Menei's goal when Michel Leveille picked up his first goal of the season at 1:16. Menei completed the hat trick when Jason Tejchma fed a pass to him on a two-on-one break and Menei fired a wrist shot that beat Ford to the stick side. The Inferno drew within one again when Jeff Miles scored his first of the game at 4:04 of the second.
Columbia would rattle off four third-period goals from Julien Brouillette (3:38), Steve McJannet (3:57), Miles (8:39) and Patrick Wellar as they cruised through the final 20 minutes.
Zbynek Hrdel redirected a centering feed from Chase Trull past Ford to draw the Sea Wolves within two at 18:20 of the third, but Mississippi would fail to score in the remaining 1:40.
Ryan Munce made 25 saves to earn the loss, and the Sea Wolves were 0-for-4 on the power play.
Mississippi's next home game is this Thursday evening against the Charlotte Checkers! Get your tickets today by calling 228.275.WOLF!
NOTE: Fans attending games should allow extra time to arrive at the arena and park due to construction on U.S. 90 in Biloxi.
• Discuss this story on the ECHL message board...
ECHL Stories from February 26, 2008
- Falcons Win 30th of Season with 5-2 Victory over Phoenix - Fresno Falcons
- Inferno dispatch Sea Wolves 6-4 - Columbia Inferno
- Inferno's Hot Third Scorches Sea Wolves - Mississippi Sea Wolves
- Marc Cavosie Loaned To Albany - Reading Royals
- Stingrays Score Four Unanswered Goals to Beat Augusta 5-1 - South Carolina Stingrays
- 60 minutes eludes Lynx again in 5-2 loss on Tuesday - Augusta Lynx
- Condors serving help for the community - Bakersfield Condors
- ECHL Concludes MidSeason Board of Governors Meeting - ECHL
- Schwarz named ECHL Goaltender of the Week - Alaska Aces
- Bakersfield's Robinson Fined - ECHL
- Stockton's Beeman Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- Victoria's Wade Suspended Two Games - ECHL
- ECHL Transactions - ECHL
- Falcons Add Carbery To Mix - Fresno Falcons
- Wolf Pack Transactions - Charlotte Checkers
- Wranglers To Shave Heads For Charity On March 8 - Las Vegas Wranglers
- Alaska's Schwarz Named Rbk Hockey Goalie Of The Week - ECHL
- Aubin Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - Cincinnati Cyclones
- Cincinnati's Aubin Named In Glas Co ECHL Player Of The Week - ECHL
- RoadRunners Land Veteran Dusty Jamieson - Phoenix RoadRunners
- Fans Flock to Beef 'O' Brady's for First Tip-A-Pilot - Pensacola Ice Pilots
- Rays Host Lynx Tonight at 7:05pm - South Carolina Stingrays
- Let It Be... - Reading Royals
- Jackals Journal - Elmira Jackals
- Bakersfield Head Coach Raymond Suspended One Game, Fined - ECHL
- ECHL Today - ECHL
- Checkers Trade Jamieson To Phoenix - Charlotte Checkers
- Balanced attack, Fisher's 35 saves mark third straight Thunder win - Stockton Thunder
- Thunder Storms Past RoadRunners 4-1 - Phoenix RoadRunners
The opinions expressed in this release are those of the organization issuing it, and do not necessarily reflect the thoughts or opinions of OurSports Central or its staff.